Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Off to the woods for the weekend.
28 April 2012, 11:24,
RE: Off to the woods for the weekend.
Sounds most productive. I thought the human digestive system could not process grass??
28 April 2012, 11:28, (This post was last modified: 28 April 2012, 12:10 by Nemesis.)
I was told dandelion root is replacement coffee, now I have no idea who told me this or even if it’s true, must have been a long way back when I heard it.
Dandelion as an Herbal Remedy
Dandelion leaves are natural diuretics and can help lower blood pressure and reduce water retention. The diuretic properties can also help to flush kidneys and remove excess salt from the urinary system. A side effect of chemical diuretics is potassium loss. Since dandelion leaves contain potassium, that loss is minimized.

Liver function may also be improved by the flower’s high levels of taraxacin. Additionally, the slightly bitter taste of the plant can also stimulate bile production and help clean the liver of toxins. This combined with the diuretic properties can make an effective “whole-body” detoxification treatment.

Dandelion tea has been used as a treatment for arthritis and joint pain for centuries and it is widely believed that it has anti-inflammatory properties. Dandelion is also high in inulin, which can help regulate blood sugar levels.

The white stick sap from the stem of dandelions can applied to warts several times a day to slowly dissolve them. Dry skin and eczema can also be treated by applying the sap.

Dandelion Herbal Drinks
When used for medicinal purposes, dandelion is most often consumed in tea form. Dandelion flower tea is relatively simple to make, just cover 8-10 flowers with boiling water in a coffee cup and allow to set for 5 minutes. Remove flowers, sweeten the tea to taste, and enjoy.
To increase the healing properties of the dandelion flower tea, add 1-2 fresh dandelion leaves to the flowers before brewing and allow to set for 7 minutes. This will be a more bitter tea.

Ground dandelion root can also be used to make tea by adding one teaspoon of dried root to boiling water and allowing to steep for five minutes. Dried root can also be used like coffee grounds to make a healthly alternative to the morning java.

Dandelion as a Food Source
All parts of the dandelion are edible. Raw dandelions greens taste like a slightly more bitter version of endive but the flowers have a slightly sweet taste. The roots are often dried and ground to be used in tea and as a coffee replacement.

Dandelion is a nutrient powerhouse. One cup of chopped raw dandelion leaves contains:
• 112% recommended daily value (DV) of vitamin A
• 32% DV of vitamin C
• 535% DV of vitamin K.
• 10% DV of Calcium
• 9% DV of Iron
• 2 grams of fiber (8% DV)

Dandelion leaves also contain Vitamin E, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, and Potassium. You get all of this for 25 calories and no cholesterol.
Dandelion greens can be used to replace lettuce in many salads. They are also good alternatives to most other cooked greens. Dandelion recipes are plentiful and I’ve included some at the end of the article.

http://melissabarrett.hubpages.com/hub/W...s-and-Food
(28 April 2012, 09:19)Scythe13 Wrote: Just eaten steamed 'vegetables' and it taste like any other steamed veg...nasty. But there's LOADS of it!!! Grass wasn't as bad, but cooked it's minging! Better to have dandelion raw, with raw grass, but cook the stickyweed.

I honestly don't get what all the fuss is about with wild food. I feel like I'm wasting my time now.

Dandelions are plentiful!
Stickyweed is plentiful!
Stinging Nettles (although I've not tried them) are plentiful!
Grass is fricking plentiful!

For everyone that's telling me it won't be easy, are you saying that because someone else told you it was hard, or are you saying it from personal experience?

I think a lot of it is to do with what people have read online and such, but location plays a huge part in it as well, where I am there is very little wild foods the forest just has nothing to offer, even many standing trees are weak can push them over, but I also am bang in the middle of farm land miles and miles of crops I am talking such an abundance of food, found a hidden corn field last year how about that.

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
28 April 2012, 12:42,
Grass doesn't spend enough time in the human digestive system to be processed. It just passes through. However, it can be pre processed by chewing. Howver, it has little nutrients in it and that is why we don't use it as food.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
28 April 2012, 13:40,
(28 April 2012, 09:38)bigpaul Wrote: look out tonight and tomorrow Scythe, huge storm front coming into the South West, heavy, heavy rain with winds of 50-60MPH, better tie everything down!!Big Grin

Yeah mate. Heard about that! I've achieved what I wanted to, and I'm not putting myself at risk! Headed back for the night. I'm a bit nuts, but I'm not retarded! My first time in an area is not a good time to test it against a beast of a storm!

I feel sad that I'm already coming back inside, but the risk isn't worth it, especially when you've got a hanging headache.

There are so many plants where I was! But granted, it must come down to area and what time of year it is.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
28 April 2012, 15:29,
Finally I'm home.

Got LOADS of plant photos and stuff!

I've never liked veg, so commenting on the flavours isn't going to be accurate. All veg tastes minging, but seriously, if I got really hungry, I know I'd be okay in Spring in the woods! I'll try again every month or so, to see about wilderness available food year round.

The write up might be a lot of repeating from this thread, but I hope it inspires people to read up and check out their garden, local fields, forests, and stuff like that!

It's awesome!!!
28 April 2012, 16:14,
Scythe I would like to know why that type tarp is it a case of light weight or other reason, I noticed one is rip stop not sure about other, but they do look very weak, the sticks inside I would have thought would be a pain and get in the way of your gear or self?.

Would you not allow for bit more weight on say a Army Tarp with top loops for cord hanging and offer a lot of strength?

I am glad you decided to end early and your reasons given, and my reason for that it shows this was about you and not about image well done.

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
28 April 2012, 17:40,
That's cool of you to say WnC.

I've been a bit slow uploading my images, but I'm starting my write-up very soon. Hope it helps a lot of people and inspires others to get out there.

The ponchos were not that waterproof and I even managed to rip one :-( The lighter one was smaller and it's kind of annoyed me! I'll be replacing them both with a single basha (I mention it in my photos I think).

The experience is once again helping me refine my kit to cut some stuff out while adding others in.