Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Off to the woods for the weekend.
27 April 2012, 14:42, (This post was last modified: 27 April 2012, 14:44 by Scythe13.)
RE: Off to the woods for the weekend.
(27 April 2012, 14:37)00111001 Wrote: I presume that you'll be doing the same so we can compare the reports from yourself and Scythe13?

In fairness, they probably already have. But that's not my issue whether they have or not.

This challenge will set me up with a much better understanding of what is available and what isn't. At the end of the day, I'll become a much better person as a result, and it will allow me to speak about my experiences, which means that I'll not be blowing smoke (I'm taking some cigars, so maybe I'll be blowing some smoke haha).

This weekend I'll be learning some intense survival skills, especially as it's just started bombing it down outside with crazy rain. Wish my BOB had an umbrella attached haha.
(27 April 2012, 14:42)bigpaul Wrote: yeah, we do a lot of "Skip Diving" around here too, mainly the domestic/builders type, the trouble with Supermarket skips around here is their all behind locked gates.......bummer!! come SHTF not a problem, but NOW its a problem.Big Grin

You could always just hop over the gate. If the skips are locked, quite a few of them have flexible lids and if you push up on the corner then work your way along, you can sometimes pop the lock without breaking it. We used to do it so often that they stopped locking them haha
Remember, if it's in a bin, it's not stealing, it's recycling haha
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
27 April 2012, 14:49,
trouble with that Scythe, is its on the supermarkets land, so in theory we could be charged with THEFT and probably BREAKING & ENTERING as well, so its probably not worth the effort, like i say AFTER TSHTF is another matter!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 April 2012, 14:55,
(27 April 2012, 14:49)bigpaul Wrote: trouble with that Scythe, is its on the supermarkets land, so in theory we could be charged with THEFT and probably BREAKING & ENTERING as well, so its probably not worth the effort, like i say AFTER TSHTF is another matter!

If you don't get caught then you've done nothing wrong Tongue
27 April 2012, 14:56,
(27 April 2012, 14:55)00111001 Wrote:
(27 April 2012, 14:49)bigpaul Wrote: trouble with that Scythe, is its on the supermarkets land, so in theory we could be charged with THEFT and probably BREAKING & ENTERING as well, so its probably not worth the effort, like i say AFTER TSHTF is another matter!

true, but knowing my luck i WILL get caught!Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 April 2012, 15:32,
Okay, phones are nearly fully charged, so it's time to get ready to set into the woods.
27 April 2012, 15:35,
(27 April 2012, 14:56)bigpaul Wrote:
(27 April 2012, 14:55)00111001 Wrote:

true, but knowing my luck i WILL get caught!Tongue

Just growl at 'em BP Smile
27 April 2012, 15:59,
Okay then, here we go.

He's where you'll catch the photos I upload.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73883511@N0...hotostream

That photo is my U-L BOB. The small silver thing on the side is my ipod, then there's a plastic hat thing out of the BOB, above that. On the left you have a knife, headphones for the ipod, my first set of keys with a kubatan (if the police ask, it's a sex toy.....which makes it confiscatable, but not punishable....and it is a sex toy......don't you dare say anything Mike haha). Below that is my car keys, complete with thermomiter/compass keyring thing, and fire flint. Then next to that is my new phone.

You can also see my inflaitable matress strapped outside my bag.

Other than that, the only things you can't see are my clothes I'm wearing, 2 paracord bracelets with emergency whistles, the iphone I'm taking the photo with, and my waterproof snowboard jacket (it's only a skinny, not a thermal one).

As always, there will be a write up about the whole thing and the lessons learned, as well as LOADS of photos. Just what you've come to expect of me.

See you all soon.

Oh, and thanks to my solar chargers, I'll probably still be posting on here now and again. But batteries could easily run out by Sunday.

Take care and speak soon.
27 April 2012, 16:33,
Interesting side note.

Contents of skips are not the property of the owner of the land but the owner of the sip. Thus is tescos put something in a skip it is actually theft for them to take it back out. I would imagine that is never prosecuted but the skip owner may choose to prosecute you. However, how would they know?

So the only issue you really have is trespass and if you just went for the skips they probably would not be bothered.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
27 April 2012, 16:45,
(27 April 2012, 16:33)Skean Dhude Wrote: Interesting side note.

Contents of skips are not the property of the owner of the land but the owner of the sip. Thus is tescos put something in a skip it is actually theft for them to take it back out. I would imagine that is never prosecuted but the skip owner may choose to prosecute you. However, how would they know?

So the only issue you really have is trespass and if you just went for the skips they probably would not be bothered.

my main point is NOT the legality but the ACCESS to such skips, maybe perfectly accessible in the larger cities but in our nearest town(population 5,000) there are 3 supermarkets-not huge ones-but ALL the skips are behind high locked gates so getting to any discarded food is not easy and downright difficult, and unless your a blooming athlete( or your name is ScytheTongue) impossible!
27 April 2012, 17:24,
Scythe take pics of the food you find and this steam collection thing you’re talking about I myself have never tried that, btw collect rain water as soon as you get there or read this, would be interesting to see what grub you get very early into the season.

Good Luck have fun but most of all make sure you don't go in to deep this time around in case you encounter problems.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ