Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Off to the woods for the weekend.
27 April 2012, 18:49, (This post was last modified: 27 April 2012, 18:51 by Scythe13.)
RE: Off to the woods for the weekend.
I'm uploading pics to the link I sent earlier.

Feel like a right idiot though! I've seen this huge hill and have wanted to camp ontop of it for ages! I went off the path asap and started climbing. The higher I got the more exciting it was. Then it came to a clearing, which did seem a little odd. Then I realised, it's a stupid 'hill walker' national trust path! Hahahahaha

Well, I said I'd do it, and I am!

I'm collecting water in the poncho hoods and am using a string feed/wick to get it into a bottle.

One thing I wish I had, same as the cliff camping thing, insect repellant! Haha

Tomorrow is food day. Today is read my book on foraging-day.

It's cold, it's wet, and it's fricking awesome!!!
Wahoo! Just found out I still have both metal plates from the winter camp with AlyBear! That's double the water collection!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
27 April 2012, 18:53,
Hope you took bog roll with you. Not much fun having to crap in the wilderness with nowt to wipe with...

Unless you go feral an drag your arse along the grass
27 April 2012, 19:19,
I really want to go out now myself, the bit about insect repellent reminded me I bought me the ultimate bit of insect repellent kit this week and want to test it so bad, worse bit is I don't even have to go far to get to the woods what a tease, if your still out tomorrow I might join you and head off myself.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
27 April 2012, 19:38,
(27 April 2012, 18:53)00111001 Wrote: Hope you took bog roll with you. Not much fun having to crap in the wilderness with nowt to wipe with...

Unless you go feral an drag your arse along the grass

Thanks for that second suggestion mate haha! I'll leave that technique in your capable....hands. Yes I have TP with me. Haha, Go Feral.

(27 April 2012, 19:19)WetandCold Wrote: I really want to go out now myself, the bit about insect repellent reminded me I bought me the ultimate bit of insect repellent kit this week and want to test it so bad, worse bit is I don't even have to go far to get to the woods what a tease, if your still out tomorrow I might join you and head off myself.

Of course I'll still be out here! Tomorrow is Going Feral day....but only for food. I'm looking for a pine-tree because you can make really good pine-needle TEA!!! I wouldn't be a Brit without a cup of tea!!! Being here does kind of make me miss AlyBear though. On our last day I got a small tub of Soy Milk chocolate and heated it up so that she had hot chocolate to wake up to.
27 April 2012, 20:43,
Don't drink pine needle tea,it tastes like crap and will give you the craps.It has plenty of vitamin c,just make sure it's a pine and suitable for drinking and not soething else.Most pine trees in this country are actually spruce and larch.
27 April 2012, 21:45,
Is pine tree something to only drink in moderation? I know you need to avoid certain types, in fact what this forum needs is someone who is clued up when it comes to wild foods/foraging It would be great, anyone already skilled in this?

I once licked a berry taste test and it done me I was really in pain for 3 days, so much so had to call out a doctor after I got home.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
28 April 2012, 07:46,
Nice camp.
Camera seems to have gone fuzzy though.
Tarp water collection seems to work, still waiting to see the steam collection.
Pine needle tea is gross and it's the wrong time of year for acorns or berry tea.
Try tapping silver birch trees for the sap though (if there are any).
Lovely sweet refreshing drink AND no filtering needed.
Last time I tried, a nights worth of collection got me nearly a pint of sap.

28 April 2012, 08:17, (This post was last modified: 28 April 2012, 08:25 by Scythe13.)
Check out my photos on the link I gave earlier! ANYONE with a bow and arrow would have been able to make the shot! It was stunning to wake up and have them 15 meters from my camp. When I started moving, they jetted away a bit. That's when I got my camera out and started stalking! Took an hour and still didn't get a great photo!

Been reading the Foraging book again. Was going to eat worms and some minging stuff like that, but decided against it (forgot my spices Binary!). Anyone who thinks wild food is hard has problems or has never really tried!

Foods for today:
Stickyweed! Yeah, you can eat that! Cook it and eat it!
Dandilions! Because there's not many of them about!
Stinging Nettles! Because they're rare as well!

Hahahahaha, just heard a weird sound, turned around and saw 3 big arse cows!!! Food's a plenty up here!
Forgot to mention, did a mini steam collection!

You need, water, fire, bowl or any container to hold the pure water, a saucepan with a lid.

As the water boils, take the lid off and let it flow into the storage container. Well simple!!! Was going to go a little more elaborate but when I realised this system worked, I just stuck with that.
Sorry about the camera Paul. I'll use my iPod and see if that's any better.
28 April 2012, 09:19,
Just eaten steamed 'vegetables' and it taste like any other steamed veg...nasty. But there's LOADS of it!!! Grass wasn't as bad, but cooked it's minging! Better to have dandelion raw, with raw grass, but cook the stickyweed.

I honestly don't get what all the fuss is about with wild food. I feel like I'm wasting my time now.

Dandelions are plentiful!
Stickyweed is plentiful!
Stinging Nettles (although I've not tried them) are plentiful!
Grass is fricking plentiful!

For everyone that's telling me it won't be easy, are you saying that because someone else told you it was hard, or are you saying it from personal experience?
28 April 2012, 09:38,
look out tonight and tomorrow Scythe, huge storm front coming into the South West, heavy, heavy rain with winds of 50-60MPH, better tie everything down!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.