Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Knives
4 October 2012, 12:05,
RE: Knives
a small list of good steels plus having a knife heat treated by an expert makes all the difference. ats34, aus8, 1080, 440c is ok but shit in my opinion. the best steel i know of but u have to keep it oiled is 01 tool steel. put an edge on this steel and you wont have to sharpen again for ages. real strong stuff. hope that helps. 440 a and 440 b are again in my opinion not worth the money.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
4 October 2012, 15:26,
(4 October 2012, 09:49)Tigs Wrote: i wonder if you have seen this one ? Cold Steel Gladius machete

No I had not seen that before. Always amazed at Cold Steels prices in the budget range.

If I do get another knife I think it will be a Cold Steel Tai Pan or more likely a BlackHawk UK SF knife. But both are more want than need items, and Christmas is only a few weeks away Big Grin Time to make an old school christmas list.
4 October 2012, 16:11,
(4 October 2012, 12:05)Wildman Wrote: a small list of good steels plus having a knife heat treated by an expert makes all the difference. ats34, aus8, 1080, 440c is ok but shit in my opinion. the best steel i know of but u have to keep it oiled is 01 tool steel. put an edge on this steel and you wont have to sharpen again for ages. real strong stuff. hope that helps. 440 a and 440 b are again in my opinion not worth the money.

just buy or beg for some old metal files, they're made of 01, and they arent heat treated i dont think, so you can cut it and grind it down into a nice shape easily enough, a small angle grinder and a belt sander, nothing fancy just cheap ones would do, i got tutorials on it if anyone wants them Smile

also choosing knifes depends on what you want really Tongue

for me a general survival knife would have to be a full tang fixed blade, the blade would be between 6 and 8 inches, a nice high carbon steel etc etc, no serrations either Tongue

i quite the cold steel srk myself, although its meant to be worse now they changed from carbon v to aus8a Tongue
4 October 2012, 16:34,
I'm always paranoid about my hand slipping forward off the handle onto the blade when using knives. Does anyone know any product with a suitable guard to prevent this?
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
4 October 2012, 17:12,
(4 October 2012, 16:34)Tibbs735 Wrote: I'm always paranoid about my hand slipping forward off the handle onto the blade when using knives. Does anyone know any product with a suitable guard to prevent this?

plenty of them Big Grin cold steel srk is quite good for that, meant to have an outstanding grip on it and a little finger guard ensures you cant slip forward on it

also jimping or whatever they call it on the back of the blade (just little blunt notches) give you somewhere to put your thumb and give you more grip and control of the blade Smile

anything with decent scales on should be good, ones which loook as if they are moulded to your hand are cool to (and surprisingly easy to make too Smile )

this knife illustrates the finger guard and jimping Smile

[Image: 8874.jpg]

you might like this sort of knife too Smile

http://www.heinnie.com/Boker-Plus-Ginger/p-0-0-6199/
4 October 2012, 18:59,
H

What is the knife in the pic you posted?

LS ( Just back from Slovenia by the waySmile )
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

4 October 2012, 19:19,
(4 October 2012, 18:59)Lightspeed Wrote: H

tis a hen and rooster bowie
http://www.heinnie.com/Bowie/p-0-0-8874/

no way! i hope you had a good time dude, did you visit lake bled?...im very jealous been 5 years since i been there Sad
4 October 2012, 22:52,
(4 October 2012, 16:34)Tibbs735 Wrote: I'm always paranoid about my hand slipping forward off the handle onto the blade when using knives. Does anyone know any product with a suitable guard to prevent this?

loop a lanyard, goes round your hand and. a-stops you from accidently thoughing into your m8 head or pinning your foot to the ground and also if its looped right will stop your hand from slipping. i love knifes. my dad bought me my first pen knife when i was 5, 6 bday i got my first swiss army knife. i carry a 150 year old pen knife enery were i go and the best advice i can give you is always cut away from your self (no matter how you see the others using there's) and reconise when your muscels are getting tired.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
4 October 2012, 22:58,
Also check out the Boker Bowie. It is a beautiful knife. Feels amazing in the hand.
5 October 2012, 07:09,
(4 October 2012, 19:19)Hrusai Wrote:
(4 October 2012, 18:59)Lightspeed Wrote: H

tis a hen and rooster bowie
http://www.heinnie.com/Bowie/p-0-0-8874/

no way! i hope you had a good time dude, did you visit lake bled?...im very jealous been 5 years since i been there Sad

Thanks H,

No time for Bled.... Italian Boarder to Maribor to call on old friends then North through the hills into Austria. Slovenia is as beautiful as ever.....I'd love to live there. Fabulous people too.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580