Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mile run
30 April 2012, 12:20,
RE: Mile run
Last I recall from cadets was you got 11 minutes for a mile. With out a pack would be easier but once. I have built up my fitness I will be running with weights and them my full kit when possible.
Failure is always an option.
30 April 2012, 12:26,
(30 April 2012, 12:14)Scythe13 Wrote: I've not measured my 1 mile time, so that'll be a good thing for me to do. I've been running with my GHB and BOB, but I assume you want packless time?

I'm working with the Scouts tonight, so it'll have to be done tomorrow.

The average person is meant to be able to run a mile in 10 minutes, so taking off more than 30 seconds from that is a BIG step up! Already you're above average mate.

Can you define average person, like weight and age because I can't.

One thing that worries me is joint damage, do you all run on the grass or road does it make any difference?
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
30 April 2012, 12:29,
Im currently running on concrete but I'm looking for suitable route that is a mixed. Once I reach my goals I will mix in power walking and slow jogs just keep. Things varied Smile
30 April 2012, 12:34,
(30 April 2012, 12:29)Neuralsandwich Wrote: Im currently running on concrete but I'm looking for suitable route that is a mixed. Once I reach my goals I will mix in power walking and slow jogs just keep. Things varied Smile

Working for me, I am about to start run/walk two I like to get it done before all the traffic fumes, another thing to consider?

Anyway I am off.
30 April 2012, 12:41,
Fumes is something to consider on a daily basis anyway, but yeah I run along a canal and I am planning to run in a park so that is about as minimal as I can get it. My free time varies a lot so i just fit it in where I can.
30 April 2012, 12:42,
The 'average person' was a term of a friend at college doing sport science. But I really doubt that the typical person off the street could step up to that pace haha.

If you're going to use ankle weights, DON'T!!! Same as heavy squats for exercise!!! DON'T!!! My knees crunch now because of a mix of all of the above.

Ankle weights over extend the knee and they make the impact for the ankle too intense. I used to have 2 lots of ankle weights at uni when training for UTMB, and it's done some harsh damage. If you're going to go weighted, get a weight vest. Reebok do a pretty good one. Looks like a cool flakjacket!

As for running on the road or grass, because I run wearing Vibram 5 Finger shoes, my running style has had to change! When most people run they put the heel down first, and then the weight of their body rolls across the foot.....after massively jarring the knee joint with the impact! With the V5Fs you have to run with your toes touching down first, and then the heel, which allows the ball of the foot to flex (what it's apparently made for) which dissipated the shock of the impact before the knee joint is put to use in the stride (how intelligent do I sound!?!?!?!?!?) So basically, instead of the impact of running goes through your knee joint like when you run heel first, the shock is absorbed and the knee joint is saved, by running with the V5Fs.

As a result of the science above, I run on concrete, pavements, rooftops (no joke, but not wearing a pack), on the sand, on grass, in the woods, and places like that. It's a good experience and a hell of an education to find out how much damage I was doing by training wrongly.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
30 April 2012, 13:03,
I'm actually saving for a pair of V5Fs I actually tend to switch between running on heel anf toes in my converse when I run. I used to do a lot of barefoot running when I was in high school because I liked the feel of the grass and it felt better. I have done a lot of reading on the subject of running.

I would either use the vest or just a pack with something to weigh me down in it. It seemed to fit since that is what I would be doing in a SHFT situation. I had never even thought of ankle weights, they sound but just the idea of them.
30 April 2012, 13:09,
For Vibrams, check your PM's mate.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
30 April 2012, 14:12,
Ankle weights have their uses in building strength but running is not one of them. They cause stress and tears in ligaments and muscles as well as wear damage in joints.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 April 2012, 16:33,
Here is another one for you Scythe, try running across a freshly ploughed farmer’s field after a good rain, you want a work out that should do it or I am getting too old and maybe it’s easy? Let me know.