Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
air rifles
12 August 2012, 16:25,
RE: air rifles
(12 August 2012, 15:51)bigpaul Wrote: nearly bought another air rifle at a car boot today, german .22 no not a Weirhauch, but it was an underlever job, dont like them had one before and it was useless, so walked away from this one, didnt even ask the price.

Paul, is there anything in particular to be wary of wary of when buying one at a carboot ? I've shot a few in my time but dont own one and dont really know what i'm looking at, good or bad seals, springs, and the like

I know I would be better off buying a new one but I hate to walk past a bargain at a carboot sale
You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
12 August 2012, 16:51,
(12 August 2012, 16:25)IB1 Wrote:
(12 August 2012, 15:51)bigpaul Wrote: nearly bought another air rifle at a car boot today, german .22 no not a Weirhauch, but it was an underlever job, dont like them had one before and it was useless, so walked away from this one, didnt even ask the price.

Paul, is there anything in particular to be wary of wary of when buying one at a carboot ? I've shot a few in my time but dont own one and dont really know what i'm looking at, good or bad seals, springs, and the like

I know I would be better off buying a new one but I hate to walk past a bargain at a carboot sale
so would i, thats why i stopped and looked, generally with springers..which this was, what you have to look out for is mostly like you say, worn springs and badly fitting breech seals..both of which can be replaced, just have a look at any you see, if it looks in generally good condition the guy has probably bought it off someone else to resell, but if its battered and rusty its probably been in some ones shed for the last 20 years and i'd be inclined to give that one a miss. i bought an old BSA Meteor at a car boot in Somerset like 5 years ago and just put it in the cupboard for use at a later date, 3 years ago we moved here and we joined the local gun club, had it tested on the clubs machine and it was putting out 0.5ft/lbs..absolutely useless, but i got a nearly new spring for it on ebay for about £12 and a new breech seal from a company on line, the gun club chairman fitted them for me , cost me £25 for the rifle+£15 in parts, so for £40 i've got a decent rifle for rabbitting, so you pays your money and you takes your chance, i guess.Big Grin

Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 August 2012, 17:31,
Thanks
You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
12 August 2012, 18:16,
(12 August 2012, 17:31)IB1 Wrote: Thanks
no probs.

Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 August 2012, 08:56,
just bought a .25 bsa ightning tactical and bot am i impressed, the best air rifle i have ever had it range is amazing with it does ever thing my .22lr does at a much lower cost .
13 August 2012, 09:25,
(13 August 2012, 08:56)Tigs Wrote: just bought a .25 bsa ightning tactical and bot am i impressed, the best air rifle i have ever had it range is amazing with it does ever thing my .22lr does at a much lower cost .

Try feeding it some Defiant 5.5s mine bloody loved them, i was down to 3/8 groups at 25 yards on a good day. BTW you can drill and tap parts of the stock to fit P rail if needed.

13 August 2012, 09:42,
thanks nr will take note
13 August 2012, 10:12,
(13 August 2012, 09:25)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(13 August 2012, 08:56)Tigs Wrote: just bought a .25 bsa ightning tactical and bot am i impressed, the best air rifle i have ever had it range is amazing with it does ever thing my .22lr does at a much lower cost .

Try feeding it some Defiant 5.5s mine bloody loved them, i was down to 3/8 groups at 25 yards on a good day. BTW you can drill and tap parts of the stock to fit P rail if needed.

Yeah, we we're having a play with it on Saturday in the garden. Jade put a pellet straight through the fence panel and out into the car park. Thankfully I don't park round the back!
13 August 2012, 12:28,
i never thought a .25 would make that much a difference over a .22 but it really does
13 August 2012, 18:06,
been thinking about that air rifle again, just wondering, if its an underlever the breech opens on the top...wouldn't that interfere with a scope ??