Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diesel
21 June 2012, 19:58,
RE: Diesel
(21 June 2012, 18:12)bigpaul Wrote: i was thinking about diesel this morning when our local builder(Tony lovely man) started up his "dad" truck, talk about if you werent awake before you are now! and it didnt so much smell of diesel it smelt more like paraffin...any ideas why this would be??

Many low tech compression ignition engines will run on parafin, Avgas, diesel and heating oil.

22 June 2012, 14:51,
Do a search for two stroke oil and diesel

Disclaimer: use this information at your own risk - do your own research.

After my research I found:
Never use vegetable based racing two stroke oil in diesel engines - gums them up.
Newer diesel engines with particulate filters, only use quality very low ash content two stoke oil.
Older diesel engines; the cheaper, the better.
First fill; add one litre to a tank full of diesel to get the process going - quicker results.
thereafter; 200 to 1 ratio - ie to 60 litres diesel, add 300ml two stroke oil.
Some two stroke oil is red and will not show in yellow diesel in such low quantities.
(I'm sure the red in two stroke oil is just red dye and has no 'marker'; unlike the low taxed red Diesel to make bleaching futile.)
Diesel now is low sulphur and sulphur is a lubricant. Adding two stoke oil which has been designed to burn; will clean and lubricate the fuel system, clean up the combustion chambers and the turbo, make for quieter running, increase in power/mpg, clean up emissions and prolong the particulate filter.

Talk to an old time mechanic who use to add ATF (automatic transmission fluid) to a diesel engine fuel tank to clean out all the deposits.

After six months of use and my own experience with a Merc Sprinter; I can now hear the turbo spool up clearer, the engine is quieter. I get 32+ mpg and am running at full load most of the time - 3.5 tonne.
The vehicle has 500k plus miles on the clock.
Also have a quieter running 10 year old Citroen 90 HDi

Having a good stock of two stroke oil after an event will be a precious commodity and using it now can save you some dollar today for your preps.

Disclaimer: use this information at your own risk - do your own research.

There is another trick I use but will save that for another post.
Cheers Juice.
22 June 2012, 15:48,
I just cleared my Transit 2.5 Diesel by ripping out the EGR system which took all of five minutes, one cable tie, two plastic number plate screws and a piece of a baked bean tin. Economy and performance greatly improved after 500 miles, better acceleration, smoother running and about 5 more MPG.