Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PUTTING LS and SD on the spot
1 July 2012, 22:56,
RE: PUTTING LS and SD on the spot
QSL cards LOL , yeah mate remember those when the DXing was going on...eyeball card collections too...lol , started off with my president rig , moved onto a ham international , went legal with a pissy midlands uk fm which was guff , and got a german rig with LEDs for signal meter with all the euro freqs , plus a.m plus sideband.

I burned out one of the pots on it whilst tweaking. Big Grin

Still got a 'tandy' walkie talkie about somewhere lol.
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
1 July 2012, 23:37,
I'm probably going to be shot down here by the CB purists but I prefer my handheld CB.
In days of old I could wander up hills with a mobile rig, Shakespere big stick, and car battery.
Now I'm a bit wiser, handheld in side pocket of pack. (500gm)

Mine chucks out the full 4 watts and has a meter long telescopic "wand" as well as the pathetic 'rubberduck' for use in a telephone box. It also handles the Euro frequencies AM & FM.
Not bad for £130.

£55 for a 2 amp PV roll up charger and a second set of NiMH cells completes the setup.

2 July 2012, 00:27,
I agree Paul , handheld is the way to go , portable , concealable and effective.

Whether its on 27Mhz , 49Mhz , 446 or 934 or whatever.

Ref those telescopics , I always seemed to break mine and had to go down the rubber duck route.

For base station comms - I would think something along the lines of the mobile comms some transport companys use would be better.
Marine Radio ? Already existing products , obviously stands up to the elements , good distance ?

But you know as well as I do that nationwide , in fact countywide comms on CB is very difficult most of the time.

FFS - i remember when USB meant upper side-band.
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
2 July 2012, 05:44,
(1 July 2012, 23:37)Paul Wrote: I'm probably going to be shot down here by the CB purists but I prefer my handheld CB.
In days of old I could wander up hills with a mobile rig, Shakespere big stick, and car battery.

Mine chucks out the full 4 watts and has a meter long telescopic "wand" as well as the pathetic 'rubberduck' for use in a telephone box. It also handles the Euro frequencies AM & FM.
Not bad for £130.

£55 for a 2 amp PV roll up charger and a second set of NiMH cells completes the setup.

Like the sound of that charger Paul. How big is it when folded? What make is it? where did you get it from?

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

2 July 2012, 08:44, (This post was last modified: 2 July 2012, 08:48 by NorthernRaider.)
(1 July 2012, 23:37)Paul Wrote: I'm probably going to be shot down here by the CB purists but I prefer my handheld CB.

Not bad for £130.

I agree, I feel that a hand held unit especially if its the only cb rig a prepper owns is the best overall bet. You can set up a handheld to work from home or in a vehicle , but if you have to abandon your home or vehicle you can take your radion with you and still have comms. The rig I just ordered does the 80 UK and 40 EU channels in AM and FM plus about another 120 channels.

I have yet however to come across a set of rechargable batteries that are not shit.
(2 July 2012, 00:27)The Local Ned Wrote: Ref those telescopics , I always seemed to break mine and had to go down the rubber duck route.

FFS - i remember when USB meant upper side-band.

TLN ( y'know your handle reminds me of my skinhead days) I bought a rubber duck aerial for this new rig of mine but its 52 CM ( 2ft)long, made by Albrecht , its got rave reviews, I dont mind longer aerials on hand helds cos its what i was used to in the army.

2 July 2012, 09:15,
I agree about the hand helds for everyday use but for the prepper network I suspect we will need something with so many add ons, burners, high antenna, speakers, etc. that a handheld just won't be as viable.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 July 2012, 09:22,
(2 July 2012, 09:15)Skean Dhude Wrote: I agree about the hand helds for everyday use but for the prepper network I suspect we will need something with so many add ons, burners, high antenna, speakers, etc. that a handheld just won't be as viable.

I think the type of hand helds that BP and NR are using will function just as well as larger radios. They are more costly and more complex mechanically than standard mobile units purely because of their compactness.

These rigs have external power supply and removable antennas, and I assume will take external speaker Mikes so they can easily be used as base rigs, but retain the capacity to be easily carried in an emergency.

If a lot of portable work is anticipated these radios coupled with good back-up power are a good choice..... and provided there is someone else operating on the same frequencies to talk to of course!
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

2 July 2012, 09:54,
I forsee much bipedal perambulating after TSHTF cos vehicular ambulation is going to rapidly decline Smile

Besides the paranoid bit in me that I share with our god Burt Gummer means I insist on reccies and patrolling are done on foot, ergo the need for hand helds with extention mike / speakers or earpiece / wrist speakers ala security industry norms.

2 July 2012, 10:40,
(2 July 2012, 09:54)NorthernRaider Wrote: I forsee much bipedal perambulating after TSHTF cos vehicular ambulation is going to rapidly decline Smile

Besides the paranoid bit in me that I share with our god Burt Gummer means I insist on reccies and patrolling are done on foot, ergo the need for hand helds with extention mike / speakers or earpiece / wrist speakers ala security industry norms.

I'm with you on this. I have a security throat mike and squiggly air tube ear bud setup for this very use. Only trouble is I'm having to wait for cold weather so that I can wear it inder a big collar so that I don't look like an elderly bouncer wo's lost his way in the wilds!!!

There are some pretty good outdoor duvet style jackets being made these days that incorporate earbuds in zips in the collar, wired down to a 3.5mm jack for MP3 player in ine of the pockets. Excellent for covert ops when hooked up to a hand held on scan mode...
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

2 July 2012, 11:00,
(2 July 2012, 10:40)Lightspeed Wrote: There are some pretty good outdoor duvet style jackets being made these days that incorporate earbuds in zips in the collar, wired down to a 3.5mm jack for MP3 player in ine of the pockets. Excellent for covert ops when hooked up to a hand held on scan mode...

Have you seen the outdoor jackets purposely designed to carry electronic gear concealled such as Blackburries and Ipods and radios
http://www.scottevest.com/company/transf...site.shtml