Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CB " Burners" ??
2 July 2012, 11:09, (This post was last modified: 2 July 2012, 11:12 by Paul.)
RE: CB " Burners" ??
(2 July 2012, 09:22)Skean Dhude Wrote: One other thing to consider. Upping the power ups your power requirements and reduces the life of your components. You should really only use it when you have to.

True for the most part but not so in newer "high end" gear where thermal and bad SWR shutdowns are built in.
On the other hand, I've had rigs in vehicles end their life with and without burners. Mostly it 's been caused by aerial setups 9/10 times because there has been damage to the aerial lead.

At home I've only had one burner go boom and that was caused by my ex-SWMBO who put a staple through my aerial coax lead as she was peeved with me (one of the many reasons she became my ex).
Apart from that one time I've never had a homebase set up go smokey and I've run an awful lot of juice at various times in my life.

That's not bad going as I've been using CB's since 1975.

(2 July 2012, 10:53)NorthernRaider Wrote: Please explain wire CB aerials in more depth, I really need to understand this stuff better.

PM or Email?

2 July 2012, 22:43, (This post was last modified: 2 July 2012, 22:50 by The Local Ned.)
Wire aerials - most basic antenna - two equal lengths of copper wire.

Your CB coax has an inner 'conductor' core , and an outer sheath of copper wire sort of like a chinese finger puzzle - thats the ground. ( very similar to old telly cable ).

The conductor goes straight into the tip of the pl259 connector and is soldered there , the sheath is folded over and connects with the outer part of the pl259 , this is the earth. ( method is very similar again to the old tv connector ).

To the aerial now - your 2 copper lengths will become the antenna itself and the groundplane. You now have a basic dipole antenna.

The length of your antenna is dependant on the frequency you will be using it on.
There is an equation involved but its simple , I worked things out using it in my teens , and I'm as thick as sh*t in the neck of a bottle.

Connect the conductor to the upper part ( solder or fix using terminal posts )
connect the outer or ground to the lower part ( same method as applied above )

You now have a basic antenna which , if you have done your calcs right will at least receive ( RX ) signals.
For transmitting ( TX ) things get slightly more complicated , and I refer you to one of our other members posts regarding SWR 'ing ( standing wave ratio ) in a rig with its antenna , please note SWR only needs to be done if you use an external antenna , for handhelds SWR is not required.
Apologies , missed out info regarding 'Burners' or signal power amplifiers.

Burners push more power ( wattage ) through your aerial , this means your signal travels further.

* Best comparison I can make is - the garden hose - a burner is like turning the tap full on , your water ( signal ) will come out the hose ( aerial ) stronger and will travel further.

Main drawback of the burner - it increases the range of YOUR signal , but does NOT increase the range at which you will receive signals from. Great for making sure you are heard , but does nothing to increase who you can hear from.
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
3 July 2012, 08:59,
(2 July 2012, 11:09)Paul Wrote:
(2 July 2012, 10:53)NorthernRaider Wrote: Please explain wire CB aerials in more depth, I really need to understand this stuff better.

PM or Email?

Neither. We all need to know so post here or on the main site. Thank you.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
3 July 2012, 11:37, (This post was last modified: 3 July 2012, 11:42 by NorthernRaider.)
(2 July 2012, 11:09)Paul Wrote:
(2 July 2012, 09:22)Skean Dhude Wrote: One other thing to consider. Upping the power ups your power requirements and reduces the life of your components. You should really only use it when you have to.

True for the most part but not so in newer "high end" gear where thermal and bad SWR shutdowns are built in.
On the other hand, I've had rigs in vehicles end their life with and without burners. Mostly it 's been caused by aerial setups 9/10 times because there has been damage to the aerial lead.

At home I've only had one burner go boom and that was caused by my ex-SWMBO who put a staple through my aerial coax lead as she was peeved with me (one of the many reasons she became my ex).
Apart from that one time I've never had a homebase set up go smokey and I've run an awful lot of juice at various times in my life.

That's not bad going as I've been using CB's since 1975.

PM or Email?

E mail please, see my reply to your kind PM
NR
(2 July 2012, 22:43)The Local Ned Wrote: Wire aerials - most basic antenna - two equal lengths of copper wire.

Your CB coax has an inner 'conductor' core , and an outer sheath of copper wire sort of like a chinese finger puzzle - thats the ground. ( very similar to old telly cable ).

The conductor goes straight into the tip of the pl259 connector and is soldered there , the sheath is folded over and connects with the outer part of the pl259 , this is the earth. ( method is very similar again to the old tv connector ).

To the aerial now - your 2 copper lengths will become the antenna itself and the groundplane. You now have a basic dipole antenna.

The length of your antenna is dependant on the frequency you will be using it on.
There is an equation involved but its simple , I worked things out using it in my teens , and I'm as thick as sh*t in the neck of a bottle.

Connect the conductor to the upper part ( solder or fix using terminal posts )
connect the outer or ground to the lower part ( same method as applied above )

You now have a basic antenna which , if you have done your calcs right will at least receive ( RX ) signals.
For transmitting ( TX ) things get slightly more complicated , and I refer you to one of our other members posts regarding SWR 'ing ( standing wave ratio ) in a rig with its antenna , please note SWR only needs to be done if you use an external antenna , for handhelds SWR is not required.
Apologies , missed out info regarding 'Burners' or signal power amplifiers.

Burners push more power ( wattage ) through your aerial , this means your signal travels further.

* Best comparison I can make is - the garden hose - a burner is like turning the tap full on , your water ( signal ) will come out the hose ( aerial ) stronger and will travel further.

Main drawback of the burner - it increases the range of YOUR signal , but does NOT increase the range at which you will receive signals from. Great for making sure you are heard , but does nothing to increase who you can hear from.

Thanks very much, I still dont get it but when all this medical shit is romoved from my body and the pain killers wear off I'll try and get my head around it.

I have just got to say how bloody impressed I am by everyones contributions to this issue, its truly wonderful to see so many preppers seeking to help each other and SD/LS to get this sorted.
NR ( Laid flat in a gown with more pipes coming out of me than Locutus of Borg.)