Poll: What do you expect from prepper comms net?
A only
B only
C only
A and B
A and C
B and C
A, B and C
Not interested in comms
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you expect from prepper comms net?
3 July 2012, 18:24,
RE: What do you expect from prepper comms net?
TL,

Don't worry. That is the nature with forums that are unregulated. If people start other threads the chances are any good bits are missed and we build a system without that persons views.

It could be worse. It could be without my views. Smile
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
3 July 2012, 18:50,
Thing is guys and girls I'm a bit confused by the whole close / distant comms thingy.
IF my personal likkle world goes bang i.e. no fuel, electricity, ASDA, telephone, internet, money, etc. I'm going to be thinking about local resources and issues more than national things.

National issues are covered by my little broadcast receiver.
Besides any government advice I hear via that route I'll probably ignore anyway.

Local resources like supplies, medical help, fuel (if I can "liberate" some), all need local communications.
After all If I'm limited to about a mile on foot (on a good day that is), help from 250 plus miles away ain't much help to me.
So just why would I need distant comms?

3 July 2012, 18:50, (This post was last modified: 3 July 2012, 19:06 by NorthernRaider.)
I honestly dont think this whole massive damn debate is actually unless by accident or pure good luck actually about local regional or national comms systems. I think its much more simple that that IE trying to find some points of commonality to help bind us togther such as a GENERAL agreement to use one radio system be it CB, 10 meter, PMR 446 or what ever.

No one is setting rules
No one is setting obligations
No one is forcing anyone to buy anything

We are just trying to finally establish some common ground for radio comms , a debate that has now been going on and on for at least 10 years.
(3 July 2012, 18:50)Paul Wrote: Local resources like supplies, medical help, fuel (if I can "liberate" some), all need local communications.
After all If I'm limited to about a mile on foot (on a good day that is), help from 250 plus miles away ain't much help to me.
So just why would I need distant comms?

Long drawn out sighSmile

Just as in our survival planning we have short term ( immediate) plans, Medium (intermediate) survival plans and Long term survival plans then accordingly we need short term short range comms, medium term medium range comms and eventually long term long range comms.
I cannot resist a dig at the silent majority of lurkers

" Hey dont worry guys no one is going to ask you to put any effort into anything, or to buy anything, or to commit to anything, or to join in a debate you can just continue to sit and digest all the hard work done by others like SD, TL, LS, W & C etc. You can do what you normally do just take away all the info and advice to read later then criticise and complain that you wont, cant, etc participate because your wifes aunties gardens cousins pet spaniel has a vets appointment next year."
Why should we do this
Why should we do that
I should not have to
You cant force me
I'm not doing that
on XXXXXXXXX forum they says ....... is better than ----------
I cant afford to do that this century
Who said HE was an expert
I've a masters degree in radio telecommunications and your wrong but I'm not going to tell you what is right cos i dont like you
My wife says no.

There thats better that most of the whinges out in the open already, that will save us 6 months of argument.

3 July 2012, 19:52,
I'm sorry, but at the present time I don't have the money to buy any of the kit and my knowledge of comms is very limited. Once you people with experience decide on a suitable set up. I will then see what I can do to find some cash to buy the equipment. I would also need help on setting it up. As I am a long way away from most preppers and have a lot of mountains between myself and Glasgow, I think that that will be a problem as well. Kenneth Eames.
3 July 2012, 20:03,
(3 July 2012, 19:52)Kenneth Eames Wrote: I'm sorry, but at the present time I don't have the money to buy any of the kit and my knowledge of comms is very limited. Once you people with experience decide on a suitable set up. I will then see what I can do to find some cash to buy the equipment. I would also need help on setting it up. As I am a long way away from most preppers and have a lot of mountains between myself and Glasgow, I think that that will be a problem as well. Kenneth Eames.

Hey Kenny, judging by the distances and mountains up your way i think you will always struggle to get far unless you move to the top of a mountain.

3 July 2012, 20:23,
Let's see what the solution is. Much of the kit can be bought complete and you just need instructions. On the other hand there are hams all over the place. I bet there are some near you.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
3 July 2012, 20:30,
YouTube instructional videos on how to set up a rig, build an antenna and tune (SWR) the antenna to the radio could be of great benefit to Kenneth and others out in the sticks. There are lots of instructional vids on Ham already and maybe we could make a SUK video to compliment the crib files that you are gathering together SD?
3 July 2012, 20:33,
(3 July 2012, 19:52)Kenneth Eames Wrote: I'm sorry, but at the present time I don't have the money to buy any of the kit and my knowledge of comms is very limited. Once you people with experience decide on a suitable set up. I will then see what I can do to find some cash to buy the equipment. I would also need help on setting it up. As I am a long way away from most preppers and have a lot of mountains between myself and Glasgow, I think that that will be a problem as well. Kenneth Eames.

Sounds like 'Kenneth Eames' home would make a BOL for us all? hehe.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
3 July 2012, 20:42,
Ch 20 Ult-Lo USB Slo-Mo
0001 - 0100 Zulo Wednesday
if anyone is interested.

3 July 2012, 20:47,
(3 July 2012, 20:42)Paul Wrote: Ch 20 Ult-Lo USB Slo-Mo
0001 - 0100 Zulo Wednesday
if anyone is interested.

Erm........................Err............Ahh.............Mmmmmm ????