Poll: Should a major event occur, how far do you have to go to your BOL?
Bugging In
Bugging Out but no destination in mind
<20 miles to BOL
20 to 50 miles to BOL
50 to 100 miles to BOL
100 to 200 miles to BOL
>200 miles to BOL
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How far to Navigate to your BOL?
24 September 2011, 14:21,
RE: How far to Navigate to your BOL?
(24 September 2011, 12:25)Skean Dhude Wrote: @JD1,

Consider preparing for them and when the situation gets hot having them move to stay with you till it is over.

Thats about the best option I have come up with as well. Lets just hope that if anything happens we have some prior warning

30 September 2011, 21:09,
Getting back to the original question of how far to navigate to yr BOL.

Mine is about 50 miles.
I can drive there on a clear road in about an hour or so.
But I'm going to assume that WTSHTF the roads will be either gridlocked or unusable due to possible quarantine or other goverment/police blockades, my 4WD will be pretty useless because it doesn't float and I have to cross several large rivers enroute. That leaves my legs as my only means of getting to where I need to be, I get my bug out pack and under cover of darkness head out. But how long will this take me now?
To find out I have decided to spend this weekend walking to my BOL with my pack. Wish me luck, I'll report back on Monday and let you all know how it went.
I intend to camp along the way if I have to and try to treat the whole time as if the world has gone tits up by staying away from major towns or cities.
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

1 October 2011, 06:43,
Reality Jones this is a grand idea. I think that many survivors should do the same. It is sensible to prepare well in advance. It is worth preparing in this way twice. Firstly the way you are doing it and secondly, walk the roads as you would go by vehicle. For if the event happens, you might be able to get so far and then abandon the vehicle. This would enable you to assess alternative ways of getting to your BOL. I am lucky here, I am assessing sites here that are about four to six miles away. Kenneth Eames.
1 October 2011, 11:01,
My initial Plan is to 'Bug-in' after gathering in the family, but this does depend of what the situation X is. At this moment in time I have no specific BOL, but I have a few in mind should the need arise.

Long-term plan is to actually emigrate anyway at retirement to a smallholding in a warmer climate.
British by birth, English by the grace of God.

Every morning, I wake up and thank God I am an Englishman!
1 October 2011, 14:54,
Dana,

With a signature like that and you want to abandon ship. I think the UK is one of the best places, plenty of water, despite what the water boards say, temps are not too extreme at either end. Plent of natural edible plant life and a reasonablly long growing season.

If only we didn't have the government we have, all of them, it would be great.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 October 2011, 17:57,
(1 October 2011, 14:54)Skean Dhude Wrote: With a signature like that and you want to abandon ship. I think the UK is one of the best places, plenty of water, despite what the water boards say, temps are not too extreme at either end. Plent of natural edible plant life and a reasonablly long growing season.

Regardless of the fact that I am a patriotic Englishman, its not a case of simply 'abandoning ship' as you put it. Retireing abroad to the Med has been in my long-term plans for many years. My pension will go farther, I can buy more for my buck, the food is fresher and healthier, the climate is better, the land is cheaper ....... Do I need to go on?

I am not going to state where I intend to go, but all the above I have mentioned is true, plus the fact that it will be up in the foothills of a mountain range.

regards
Dana

1 October 2011, 18:30,
Dana,

I wrote that 'abandon ship' comment tongue in cheek. Perhaps I should have placed a smilie somewhere. Sorry.

I wanted to move away a few years ago. I was, and still am, fed up with politicians sticking their noses into everything and ruining it, taking my money and wasting it on their vote buying projects and telling us we were being selfish by complaining.

I looked around at where I could go and couldn't find one place on the planet that was not doing the same in one way or another. Switzerland being perhaps the lone exception.

When I looked at what I wanted to do though I found the UK to be the only place that had the weather I liked, no real extremes, the climate to grow almost anything and plenty of water.

I agree with all the points you made. I considered them myself but decided that going self sufficient would be my way and I could stay in a place I was comfortable with.

I have a few friends that have moved abroad, nothing to do with knowing me Smile, for the same reasons you say and they are doing great. I understand there are pubs in most major areas set up for us, a home from home, as it is.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 October 2011, 19:06,
OK, sorry I was too quick to see the lighter side.

The main thing that started me looking abroad was when I was nursing the elderly with lung aflictions and arthritic problems. I thought then, that there has to be more than this to look forward to in old age. Hence why I want to move somewhere that has more defined seasons, hot summer, cold winter.

1 October 2011, 19:26,
No harm done. That is the problem with straight text you don't see the grin that goes with it.

Yes, I did consider that and this is where I'm hoping global warming is just a little bit true. Although I think if we had any of these we would consider that in with the plans. The bad bit about prepping is that to cater for two sites you really need twice the investment and moving gear across the water is going to be an issue.

Now when we approach retirement the figures will change. What the result will be then is different. Prepping requires constant checking and evaluation.
Skean Dhude
4 October 2011, 21:56,
Does anyone have a checklist of what a BOL should include?