Poll: Should a major event occur, how far do you have to go to your BOL?
Bugging In
Bugging Out but no destination in mind
<20 miles to BOL
20 to 50 miles to BOL
50 to 100 miles to BOL
100 to 200 miles to BOL
>200 miles to BOL
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How far to Navigate to your BOL?
4 October 2011, 22:29,
RE: How far to Navigate to your BOL?
I'd be interested to see what other people are preparing as well.

My list includes water, food, torches, batteries, first aid supplies, warm clothes, fuel, wind-up radio, items for self protection and home security.

My plan is to stay put. There's no place like home after all. As long as I can keep it secure I will be fine. I have a mental list of what I need to do to make is secure. Stuff like black-out curtains, cutting boards to the size of the windows and pre-drilling them. I live in the suburbs of a big city, but I feel confident that we would be safer at home.
5 October 2011, 10:27,
> What should be stored at the BOL?
Your BOL should be a home away from home.
*Everything* you need to survive for whatever length of scenario you are preparing for (possibly up to and including future generations)
People who plan to bug out with no fixed destination in mind with the typical "3 days of food BOB" are going to be in real trouble from day 4 onward.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
5 October 2011, 11:20,
Boy Scout,

Consider some scenarios that could come up. The riots give us examples of what happens. Could anything cause you to have to abandon your home?
Could looters see your place as a target
Neighbours going to be around?
There are many more. Some articles covering this are on the main site.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
5 October 2011, 11:52,
(5 October 2011, 11:20)Skean Dhude Wrote: Boy Scout,

Consider some scenarios that could come up. The riots give us examples of what happens. Could anything cause you to have to abandon your home?
Could looters see your place as a target
Neighbours going to be around?
There are many more. Some articles covering this are on the main site.

Heading there now to have a read.

6 October 2011, 10:23,
bug out with bag and day 4 you become a raider and by day 5 you could be dead.
to win the war, you must be willing to die
10 October 2011, 06:05,
I managed to make it to my BOL on foot and I learned a few important things.

no matter how light you think your bug out bag is, after about 5 hours it will weigh 5 times as much.
you need to carry and use a lot of water and once again that is heavy to carry.
Thanks to agriculture there's no such thing as a straight line in the countryside.
Trying to avoid towns adds many many miles and many many hours to your journey.and it's almost impossible.
Checking your BOL on a regular basis is very important, there is a new development of starter homes being built on the land next to my BOL and this will now jepordise any opsec that I had put in place.
I also found that the easiest way to my BOL was by sticking to the roads.

There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

24 October 2011, 17:01,
i'm bugging in, but have "hidey hole" in emergency about 8 miles away.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 October 2011, 19:45,
I'm bugging in but have multiple caches as well as the supplies of food, fuel, medical kit, and other logistics at the rural pile we call home. But we also have a couplre of safe alternative locations if in some extrteme case we have to move from here. Plus both vehicles have substantial kits as well.

Remember when you discuss bugging in or out we are not just talking about fit single young men fleeing armageddon on a warm July day. In the real world its equally likely to be freezing, raining and windy, and your party will have kids, parents, spouses and elderly among them.

14 November 2011, 14:15,
As we live where we do we'll most likely bug out, I have a few places in mind close by, then further away, the rule of threes and murphy law applys. I have a rally point for family so then theres no wandering around looking for them, You could do similar I.E. we all meet back at my house, this is valid for x ammount of hours, days etc should shtf. then its to rally point 1 say. Again valid for x ammount of time. you can do this for many times as it then give multiple points to meet and nobody is taking all the responsabilty as the rescuer. even if you get to your main r.v. ahead of schedule you can always recce back to the meeting points to pick up stragglers.
any friends or family should have a plan of action, but the plan should follow the old, have a plan, then a plan for when the plan goes wrong and then a backup plan for the back up plan. Family is a hard subject as you may want to save certain members such as aged relatives, but would they want saving, some people are sheeples after all and dont want the hassle or discomfort shtf would bring.
rather than an excessive ammount of maps I use a super sale a-z atlas of great britain and N.I.
Its fairly well detailed at 2.5 miles to the inch and with a compass enables you to navigate all over england, points of interest can also be marked at will. being unemployed I have to have things fit for purpose but not prohibitavly expensive. the pound shops are also a good place as they sell fishing hooks, line etc.
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
11 January 2012, 14:19,
[In stead of attempting to walk 50 miles, I'd go by bike. That way I'd be able to both travel faster, and carry more load. 50 miles is doable in three hours in good conditions, so allowing for difficulties you'd be at your destination same day, without the need to camp out.

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580