2 years
3 years
5 years
10 years
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
how long after an event for things to die down
19 October 2011, 06:15, (This post was last modified: 19 October 2011, 06:17 by Reality Jones.)
RE: how long after an event for things to die down
It sounds grim but I have given serious thought to the prospect of eating human flesh and if means I don't starve then I'm all for it.
even a skinny human will provide enough meat to last a while if its smoked or prepared in the right way.

(19 October 2011, 06:15)Reality Jones Wrote: It sounds grim but I have given serious thought to the prospect of eating human flesh and if it means I don't starve then I'm all for it.
even a skinny human will provide enough meat to last a while if its smoked or prepared in the right way.

Maybe this one should be in morals and ethics?
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

19 October 2011, 08:00,
TBH, unless you are trapped somewhere, I do not thnk it would ever get to that stage in our current climate of the UK. There are plenty of things to eat if you only know where to look and how to gather or hunt them.

Cannabalism is a very extreme measure to consider and literally everything would have had to be exhausted before I would even think of it. Would you murder someone, to eat them? Remember, you would have to live with it for the rest of your life.

Personally, cannabalism is a step to far, one for which I am not prepared to take. I would consider suicide before resorting to cannabalism. I may be dead, but at least I remained a human.
British by birth, English by the grace of God.

Every morning, I wake up and thank God I am an Englishman!
19 October 2011, 10:19,
I'm with Dana ... almost. That is why I think the UK is a good survival destination. Plenty to eat and a climate that grows plenty. Plenty water etc. Few extremes of weather so we should not be in the situation of needed to.

However although cannabalism is a last resort I would do it if it became necessary. I even bought a book on the subject.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 October 2011, 22:10,
i have to agree i would turn to cannabalism if food did become a problem it's just meat at the end of the day and if i had been through hell i wouldn't let my self or family die for morals
i wonder what a banker tastes like (pork).:.)
to win the war, you must be willing to die
20 October 2011, 06:12,
(19 October 2011, 08:00)Dana Wrote: Personally, cannabalism is a step to far, one for which I am not prepared to take. I would consider suicide before resorting to cannabalism. I may be dead, but at least I remained a human.

I don't see how cannibalism would remove your humanity.
And I don't believe in the Wendigo.

Humanity is a fairly modern concept. I don't see my hunter gatherer ancestors having any moral dilema when it came to the consumption of human flesh in a survival situation.
would I kill someone to eat them?... honestly?....I don't know, I'm not in that situation, I'd like to think that I wouldn't but I couldn't say for definite.

Remember Skeans scenario in another post about the guy hunting in the forest, hears gunshots and finds people dead?

Now imagine that scenario a little differently, you are hunting in the woods, it has been a very hard winter, you are starving to death slowly and your family is sick from hunger, you find the truck is empty but you are now surrounded by freshly killed meat! What do you do? Walk away and hope that you strike lucky in a couple of days and kill a pig or deer? Or make the most of the food that has been delivered to you?

I know what I would do.
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

24 October 2011, 10:05,
i read somewhere that even the Black Death only killed of 30% of the population, that in modern times would mean about 20million, leaving about 40million alive, this would mean more land for those left behind. in my own (rural) location the pop.would go from 1306 down to about 900!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 October 2011, 12:33,
The point is not that a plague would only kill 1/3 of the population.
The point is that with a plague killing 1/3 of the population the infrastructure would collapse. Shop keepers and truck drivers wouldn't go to work.. The water and Electricity may fail. Then in addition to the 1/3 that would die of plague many more would go cold, hungry and thirsty.
With the present 'entitlement' mindset they would think they *deserved* to take (by force) what they felt they needed from those who had.
The ensuing riots/slaughter in built up areas would kill many many more people.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
1 January 2012, 18:29,
I came across this information on another site, apparently there was a govt study done in the 70s or 80s which said if TSHTF and there was a "die off" they reckoned the population would halve every 6 months, so if we take the modern population of the UK as 60 million, 6months after TSHTF it will have reduced to 30 million, 12 months after it will be 15 million, 18months its 7.5 million and 2 years after TSHTF it less than 4 million ! that would give the survivors plenty of "breathing space" and lots of land to use.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 January 2012, 18:41,
BP,

For how long. We are assuming that it won't half until we are all dead.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
1 January 2012, 19:07,
dont know, i couldnt get any access to the original study so no information as to when they thought it would level off, so youre guess is as good as mine-probably betterBig Grin