Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinned fish
25 July 2012, 16:46,
RE: Tinned fish
(25 July 2012, 16:28)Armoured Gideon Wrote: Brilliant idea! I was thinking of putting a wardrobe in front of the wall to distract the eye from the fact that the room is shorter on the inside than it should be, maybe I could position a painting/picture over the hole that the tins will eventualy drop in from.

Yeah, I've still not got round to doing this yet (keep moving house). It's more work than just hollowing out a section of the wall, but personally I think it's better than just stacking them in there.

There's the added bonus that if you're hanging pictures etc or have anyone round to do any work in the house that involves making holes in the wall it'll add some extra protection. Obviously you should always use one of those little pipe detectors before making a hole in any wall anyway, but it doesn't help to add a little something extra.

I'm trying to knock up some sort of cushioning device so that it'll enable a tin to survive the "long drop" without damaging it, but apart from springs etc I'm still none the wiser
25 July 2012, 16:51,
i'll put my brain to work on that one, if you come up with an idea i'd be happy to hear it!
"Some men just want to watch the world burn!"
25 July 2012, 16:55, (This post was last modified: 25 July 2012, 16:56 by 00111001.)
(25 July 2012, 16:51)Armoured Gideon Wrote: i'll put my brain to work on that one, if you come up with an idea i'd be happy to hear it!

I'm still stuck with either a sprung loaded platform at the bottom, or a thinner section of pipe placed inside the downpipe with a spring pushing it away from the sides. So it would slow the descent of the tin, but not enough to stop it half way down.

Very hard to try and describe what I'm talking about - so I shall attempt some ascii art Big Grin

**\ **
** \ **
** \ **
**@\ **

Where:
** = pipe
\ = section inside pipe
@ = spring
Bollocks, that looked ok when I typed it out.

But you should get the basic idea?
25 July 2012, 17:05,
I can kind of see where your coming from. Love the art work by the way! it could work but is it going to be high maintainence? If it breaks when the wall is in place then you'd be buggered.
I was thinking.
If you have a pipe that is a really tight fit to the tin, then maybe the air that the tin is pushing out of its way on its descent will slow it down naturaly, as the displaced air will only be able to escape around the side of the tight fitting tin?
You'd need to make sure that there was a tin already at the bottom to stop the displaced air from rushing straight out of the bottom and an airtight or near enough door at the base of the pipe.

Does this make any sense?
25 July 2012, 17:11,
(25 July 2012, 17:05)Armoured Gideon Wrote: I can kind of see where your coming from. Love the art work by the way! it could work but is it going to be high maintainence? If it breaks when the wall is in place then you'd be buggered.
I was thinking.
If you have a pipe that is a really tight fit to the tin, then maybe the air that the tin is pushing out of its way on its descent will slow it down naturaly, as the displaced air will only be able to escape around the side of the tight fitting tin?
You'd need to make sure that there was a tin already at the bottom to stop the displaced air from rushing straight out of the bottom and an airtight or near enough door at the base of the pipe.

Does this make any sense?

Petanque Magnet on an extended length of string.... attach to tin, lower tin into tube until at bottom..... sharp pull on string to disengage the magnet :-)

All fine and dandy until the string breaks, then you'll have to empty the tube to recover the magnet and start all over again.

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

25 July 2012, 17:14,
Brilliant in its simplicity! Thanks lightspeed.
25 July 2012, 17:36,
how about a false timber wall with shelves on the inside, slightly angled so that you put a new tin in one side, the oldest tins rolls to the other side so you can rotate stock, both ends/sides can be pulled off for use, the wall only has to be as deep as the height of your tallest tin. i saw some videos on this on youtube under "preppers", they even has some in the back of a sofa!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 July 2012, 20:23,
Another great idea, many thanks Big Paul. I'll have to experiment and see which one is easiest to accomplish.
25 July 2012, 22:36,
personally i'd get some foam and test it on its compression, then cut a circle of the stuff the size of the inside of the pipe, and make it so that when the whole pipe is full, the foam is compressed to the bottom, may have to experiment with the foam a bit, but its inexpensive and easy enough Tongue and its simple!

but yeah theres many avenues you can take this idea, the magnet one sounds pretty decentSmile

and the springs a good idea but would need more experimenting/ calculations, not to mention deformation of the metal over time and that'll be more expensive to get a new spring than it would be to get some more string or foam Tongue
25 July 2012, 23:17,
Don't make things more complicated than they need to be. Stairs never break down, elevators, escalators and other such devices break down all the time.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin