Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1200 miles with Handheld CB radio
27 July 2012, 15:55,
RE: 1200 miles with Handheld CB radio
(27 July 2012, 15:36)Barneyboy Wrote: because when or if the SHTF wood like to talk to people and find out wots going on and to keep in with you guys i think hams the way to go

Hi BB

Ham gear and low power will give you good range. For example on low power radio competitions I used to regularly pick up points by working a group of good ol' Norfolk boys, and my station was based in Noth Hampshire.

Personally I'm set up with several sets of equipment:

Ham gear for general coms, and hopefully with some dedicated prepper stations too if some of you get licensed.

Next best rage setup is CB. That is the legal, license free FM equipment. A good base station will give range of between 5 and 20 miles ( probably the bigger of the two in your part ofthe world)

I also have lots of PMR446 capable handhelds. These are for close in comms with family group members, local frends and neighbours. Predicted range up to 1.5 miles

If I had to pick up just 1 radio and run for my life with it, it'd be one of the PMR446 capable rigs like a UV3r, or UV5r.
The little Yaesu VX3r is also a contender here as its able to monitor Ham, CB, Airband, PMR as well as having Transmit capability on the UHF and VHF bands, but its a relatively complex little device.

What do you want your survival radio to do? If you can clearly specify that, then you can look at the best solution. Finding a solution and then justfying it in your plans is the wrong way to go about this.

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

27 July 2012, 16:17,
thanks for that LS how do i go about gettting info on ham licence dont just want to get the info from internet wood very much like you bead on it thankyou
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
27 July 2012, 16:43,
(27 July 2012, 16:17)Barneyboy Wrote: thanks for that LS how do i go about gettting info on ham licence dont just want to get the info from internet wood very much like you bead on it thankyou

OK, BB

The foundation license is kind of a small step up from a scouting communicator's badge. I am not sayingthis to be disparaging (sp?) of foundation license holders, but to explain that it is really not very difficult at all..... after all i managed it so anyone can.

First get a copy ofthe book "Foundation Now" see http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo...ofx4mnv8_e

Have a quick scan through it to realise that most of the contents are good common sense , three of four equations to remember, and also a set of simle operating rules. if this doesn't look too frightening contact your local Amateur radio club and ask about training and examination availability.

Training consists of being shown how to operate a radio's controls 9 and then you demonstrating you can do so too), learning how to adjust an antenna for best match to the transmitter, and a thing called Morse appreciation, where you basically have to listen to someone sending VERY slow morse code ( you cannot really fail this part) Some clubs have formal training sessions tahtyou must pay for, some do it free of charge.... If you get on a free of charge course you ought really join that club at least for a year after you've gotten your license. The exam costs around 25.oo . its multiple choice and most people complete it in 15 to 20 mins. The whole system and examination is designed to pass you. it is absolutely not designed as an entry barrier to the hobbby.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

27 July 2012, 18:27,
thankyou my friend just got the book will keep you in the no if thats ok thanks for you help
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
27 July 2012, 18:57,
i like how this simple and impressive video turned into a conversation that turned 2 people over to learning about radio!

27 July 2012, 22:35,
I'm a bit anti ham.
The cost of the gear and the licence which lifts you onto "the radar" are two reasons.
I like Citizens Band because if you get something going NOW, you can build up a local network of contacts (preppers or not) within the usual operating range of up to 10 miles.

In an emergency that is about the limit that people will travel by foot, bike, or even horseback.
Being able to talk county to county is good but if you need fast help, think local.

Citizens band is ideal for this. It's also cheap, easy to setup, and anyone can use it (useful if the licenced operator is incapacitated or just plain dead).