Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PMR446 50+Km range yesterday
31 July 2012, 11:03,
RE: PMR446 50+Km range yesterday
As it will result in no increase in tax and there is still the possibility of fines atm our bunch of useless politicians will not rush into doing this.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 August 2012, 18:00,
(29 July 2012, 16:19)Lightspeed Wrote: So distance can be achieved, but you have to climb quite high, as does your recipient.

LS

A bit of an extra late response if you will forgive me ?, One of our prime prepper concerns is OPSEC, and part of OPSEC is movement and patrolling, and in patroling their are certain golden rules usually refered to as SSSSSM Shape, Shine, Shadow, Sound, Silhouette and Movement, IE going up hilltops is an absolute no no if you are likely to expose your location to watchers. Your broadcasts must really be made without sitting on a hilltop.

3 August 2012, 00:48,
Being on a ridgeline isn't what counts mate , its the overall height that counts....agreed - being up high on one slope will largely limit your signal to the directions towards your slope is facing , but you dont have to be stood on a trig point to achieve good radio distances.
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
3 August 2012, 07:17,
NR

Thanks again. Good sound advice.

This thread is to show what PMR can do at only 1/2 watt in good conditions.

You are right OPSEC is critical, and we all need to remember the associated risks of venturing out and especially onto ridglines etc.

TLN:

Again right radio signal will predominantly travel in the direction of the downward slope, so as long as you are high up and have a clear path to the other station the signal will travel surprisingly long distances.

Thanks guys

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

3 August 2012, 10:35, (This post was last modified: 3 August 2012, 10:41 by NorthernRaider.)
Theres a good article on tother forum bout fitting a better twig to a Intek 50 50 that could be very useful for our PMR 446 fans.
Dammit I cant find it now, will keep trying.
Found it, article by Invisible on modding Intek MT 50 50, BUT I dont think I have permission to post the link to this article as its on UKP, so if anyone wants it PM me and I'll give em the link.
NR

3 August 2012, 13:10,
(3 August 2012, 10:35)NorthernRaider Wrote: Theres a good article on tother forum bout fitting a better twig to a Intek 50 50 that could be very useful for our PMR 446 fans.
Dammit I cant find it now, will keep trying.
Found it, article by Invisible on modding Intek MT 50 50, BUT I dont think I have permission to post the link to this article as its on UKP, so if anyone wants it PM me and I'll give em the link.
NR

Hi NR

External antenna mod is simple and inexpensive on most PMRs

Modding is stage two of the setting up process. I have intentionally not addressed this at stage one. I feel that instruction for opening electronic boxes, cutting and soldering wires is a sure fire way to make non electronics folk to switch off ( pun?) from this discussion at the present time.

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

3 August 2012, 13:42,
The reason I like the Intek is that the extra power and extra frequency mods are done by just snipping a wire loop in the battery bay Smile, I leke things simple Smile

3 August 2012, 13:52,
(3 August 2012, 13:42)NorthernRaider Wrote: The reason I like the Intek is that the extra power and extra frequency mods are done by just snipping a wire loop in the battery bay Smile, I leke things simple Smile

:-).... just make sure you snip the right one!
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580