Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survival Radio Musts, Shoulds, Coulds
3 August 2012, 07:35,
RE: Survival Radio Musts, Shoulds, Coulds
Thank you NR, Martin,Paul, TLN, SD

We have consensus on the three main types of equipment now.

They are exactly as per the initial post in this thread: PMR (type)/CB /NVIS

The only issue is power output. Each of us has their own view on this. The best advice is that used by amateurs the world over is to use the minimum power possible to get the job done.

High power set-ups are certainly able to get the job done. The consequence of high power are two-fold:
1. The need to be able to generate, store, and carry sufficient power to run the equipment.
2. High power = long range = more and more compromise of your OPSEC.

If high power ( or longrange gear) is to be used it must be used in VERY short bursts and the content of messages must be encrypted so as not to betray your BOL location.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

3 August 2012, 07:41,
(2 August 2012, 22:21)Paul Wrote: OK SD, I'll butt out then.

Paul,

I wasn't saying that. Your input is appreciated.

I was saying NR has his requirements. The majority of us are refining ours and your input is required. It just seems that even though NRs requirement is finalised there is a lotof discussion over what is best around there. NT has decided and we should not try and change his mind. He has all the data he needs.

Everyone is different.

Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
3 August 2012, 10:15, (This post was last modified: 3 August 2012, 10:28 by NorthernRaider.)
(2 August 2012, 22:21)Paul Wrote: OK SD, I'll butt out then.

Paul I think your misreading / misunderstanding SD's writing style Smile
(3 August 2012, 00:43)The Local Ned Wrote: I pointed out the capabilities of PMR446 , and the ease of modding the handsets ( and BASE-sets ) to full power and multi-bands....and was shot down in flames for making things more complicated. Now it seems the penny has dropped and what was a complication is now seen as an advantage just as I tried to point out ?? Angry

I'm out of this discussion as of now , it's been fun trying to share some insights , but when the help I try to give is disregarded , and I am ignored then what's the point.

Hey Grump Smile I'm still chewing my way through your PMR446 stuff right now, infact I'm comparing your info with info off another forum for further modding Intek MT50 50s because your info was so useful. EG you stuff about power outputs not always being needing to be high if you have the best aerial has me studying a doc on another forum about replacing the soldering in place rubber duck on the MT50 50 for a BNC socket that allows various aerials to be used.

Y'see just cos "I" dont need or choose PMR 446 at this time, others may jump for PMR 446 straight away.

Guys lets not get grumpy over this very in depth and complicated subject, its not just our own individual needs we need to work out but its the various options for every incoming prepper.Smile
IN CAPITALS TO GET POINT OVER

GUYS Ned, LS, Paul, Martin etc Guys we have made more progress in a few short weeks on concentrated and often heated debate on the radio comms issue that any prep group I know of has achived in the last 15 years. I ask you ALL to persevere and keep contributing to this subject, all these options, systems, mods, concepts and ideas MUST be discussed if not for own own use but for the community at large. PLEASE keep posting.
NR

3 August 2012, 23:05,
My apologies.

As many of you all are no doubt realising - radio comms can be complicated by many factors , location > surroundings > atmospheric conditions > antenna choice > power output - achieving a decent compromise between all of these can be very taxing.

Doing a mental exercise to work out theoretical issues is even worse.

We are also able to buy equipment off the shelf - which are 'locked' to legal frequencies , and , legal power outputs , which can easily be 'unlocked' or adapted to use more power, or more frequencies, or both, which makes them so much more capable , but, which then renders them illegal to use.

If I had the cash I would buy surplus Army radios , PRC320 , PRC349 , PRC351 , as I know my way around them ,and they are rugged and reliable and weatherproof too. Youtube search for what those sets can do.

TLN.
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.