Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survivor dilemma
31 July 2012, 14:26,
RE: Survivor dilemma
It doesn't really matter how they survive they ain't going to provide you with a CV.

Bear in mind that every one of us would do what it takes to keep our own family alive. You can't then get all moral and criticise that that are forced to because we didn't.

After it settles down a bit we will meet others. When we have these meetings being careful is one thing but being overtly or covertly aggressive is another. I know how I would react. Others react differently to being put on the spot.

We need to be seen as safe and friendly, a bit of paranoia is expected and acceptable, too much not so much. Being honest and upfront is always good and being prepared to help is a massive bonus, it doesn't have to be something important. Make sure you have spares for barter or sharing.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
31 July 2012, 14:36,
(31 July 2012, 12:54)Lightspeed Wrote: You're right NR,

but I feel that there are a lot of Alpha male types ( and I count myself in that) that will have a natura, l tendancy to try and lead..... bolsterd by the fact their ideas and methods have been validated by thier continued existence.
Nightmare scenario SD, Skvez, NR, LS, UKS, W & C, BP,PF,TOF, BOB, PAUL etc all at a post apoc meeting trying to agree on one single way of getting things done ?, Just would not work PERIOD. BUT post apoc A call goes out from say Paul or LS asking for assistance to assemble and raise a new broadcast mast for prepper radio and we would be tripping over each other in the dash to help.

31 July 2012, 14:40,
i was brought up in a city(43 years) and although i now live in the countryside old habits still die hard: i dont like people walking behind me, i ALWAYS sit with my back to a wall when in a public place, i have always carried a knife(for personal use) and i always scan ahead for signs of trouble..take another route if possible. paranoid..maybe...i prefer to call it being cautious. and thats NOW never mind post collapse.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 July 2012, 14:47, (This post was last modified: 31 July 2012, 14:51 by Lightspeed.)
Bugging out in Devon has a big appeal, especially on in the centre or on the North Coast.

But I fear that my love of the area is prejudiced by Uni in Exeter, and subsequently many sunny summer holidays, with cream teas and local cider. I really do not have enough connections in the area now to make it a viable BOL. and winters can be a lot colder and sow bound down there than most people realise...

LS
(31 July 2012, 14:36)NorthernRaider Wrote:

but I feel that there are a lot of Alpha male types ( and I count myself in that) that will have a natura, l tendancy to try and lead..... bolsterd by the fact their ideas and methods have been validated by thier continued existence.
Nightmare scenario SD, Skvez, NR, LS, UKS, W & C, BP,PF,TOF, BOB, PAUL etc all at a post apoc meeting trying to agree on one single way of getting things done ?, Just would not work PERIOD. BUT post apoc A call goes out from say Paul or LS asking for assistance to assemble and raise a new broadcast mast for prepper radio and we would be tripping over each other in the dash to help.

A self defeating prophesy NR

No mast, no call for assistance.....

no assistance no mast......

:-)
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 July 2012, 14:53,
(31 July 2012, 14:47)Lightspeed Wrote: Bugging out in Devon has a big appeal, especially on in the centre or on the North Coast.

But I fear that my love of the area is prejudiced by Uni in Exeter, and subsequently many sunny summer holidays, with cream teas and local cider. I really do not have enough connections in the area now to make it a viable BOL. and winters can be a lot colder and sow bound down there than most people realise...

LS

Nup regular RZs where messages can be left on a notice board is the first step in secure comms after TSHTF. It will take time and effort into building a reliable radio system, and in the short to medium term most preppers will be focused on just stayin alive.

31 July 2012, 14:56,
Tongue
(31 July 2012, 14:47)Lightspeed Wrote: Bugging out in Devon has a big appeal, especially on in the centre or on the North Coast.

LS
North Coast gets most of the bad weather especially wet and windy storms. Exeter is a dump and i stay away from it as much as i can, only go there if one or other has to go to Hospital...thankfully neither of us do at present. not sure what you mean by the centre? centre to me means the A30 holiday route. Winters can be cold and snowy..depending where you are..obviously Dartmoor gets heavy snow..all we get is lots of rain usually...the winter BEFORE last was very icy and snowy-we were snowed in for 4 weeks before i could safely drive on the roads...not a problem as we have our stores!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 July 2012, 14:58,
(31 July 2012, 14:53)NorthernRaider Wrote:

LS

Nup regular RZs where messages can be left on a notice board is the first step in secure comms after TSHTF. It will take time and effort into building a reliable radio system, and in the short to medium term most preppers will be focused on just stayin alive.

Nope, my NVIS solution doesn't need any masts... it'll be up running and functional far faster than any physical message could get trough from a RV point.

Seriously set times of the year RV points are a good idea. Dates and locations should be in everyone's prep documentation.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 July 2012, 15:05,
well obviously THE collapse hasnt happened yet but would it be wise to set up pre determined RV dates and locations BEFORE anything happens?? say 1 in Spring, Summer & autumn, for obvious reasons a Winter one might not be feasible..say 1 each for the North and 1 for the South in each of the 3 seasons. i'll start: what about a Summer RV at Glastonbury Tor(like in NR's senario)??
31 July 2012, 15:08,
So, let me get this right...I could spend a year living in fear from looters/zombies ETC...Then I have to spend many more years living in fear from (preppers that have survived?)
Some have admitted that they are Alfa males so..we get rid of govt/leaders and end up with bossy preppers who could take over? No further forward if you ask me.
I thought us preppers all drank from the same cup?
I know for a FACT that my family and I can prep, maybe live through the disaster but COULD NOT live in the aftermath if folk were suspicious of us....Yet more creeping around Sad
31 July 2012, 15:18,
i'm suspicious of everybody....nothing new there then!Big Grin