Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making contact by FM radio
17 November 2011, 11:35, (This post was last modified: 17 November 2011, 12:40 by Skvez.)
RE: Making contact by FM radio
Quote:Why do you (NR) think the risk of being triangulated while broadcasting over a small area is 'very high'? Most people don't know how to triangulate and the authorities/military and unlikely to pick up a weak localised transmission.

Easy, cos I managed to track down a foul mouthed and abusive teenager in our village who played music on Ch 9 on the 27FM system, I just wandered around the village with a handheld that had a signal strength meter in it until the signal showed the highest reading, then I just looked around until I spotted a DV 27 bolted to a chimney stack and knocked on the door. So it surely cant be that difficult to do the same in the 87 -108 range as well can it ?

BTW you do know the damn govt is planning on scrapping FM in the next few years , unless they have put it off again.

As for
Quote:1] Warning of gangs or refugees entering the area
2] Voice of the Village -"

Thats definately not something I would even contemplate, It would not work for me, but it may work in your area / community, Its a fascinating concept though

Betcha I have even LESS experience with radio comms than you do Smile

[Edit by Skvez to fix the quotes]

17 November 2011, 13:01, (This post was last modified: 17 November 2011, 13:02 by Skvez.)
The fact that you're on the FM27 system put you in the top 1% in of the population in terms of understanding triangulation. (Some sheeple are worried their radio receiver is radiating them).
Certainly to avoid being detected when transmitting it's helpful to keep the aerial as concealed as possible and if you see someone wandering about close by with a radio receiver in their hands stopping transmitting is usually a good idea (but it does tell the person looking for you that they are within line-of-sight of the person transmitting, still that’s better than having them knocking on the door (or knocking in the door)).

Quote:BTW you do know the <snip> govt is planning on scrapping FM in the next few years?
No I wasn't aware of that.
It could be so they can sell licences for the 88-108 band to some other industry to raise more revenue.
Of course it also means that the alternative (satellite radio) is easier to control and harder to get up and going again after a major technology event (like a huge solar flare).
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
17 November 2011, 13:57, (This post was last modified: 17 November 2011, 13:58 by NorthernRaider.)
Yes unless the govt has changed its mind analogue radio on AM and FM bands is doomed the way Analogue TV is, being replaced by power greedy Digital systems, and if the availability of analogue recievers drys up in the UK we wont have access to overseas broadcasters.
found this, hope it helps

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/200...-switchoff

17 January 2012, 16:07, (This post was last modified: 17 January 2012, 16:54 by Lightspeed.)
Hi Skvez,

Fascinating idea to use FM radio as a local broadcast tool.

I do not see that it would be wise to start broadcasting in the immediate aftermath of an Event, but at a much later date I can imagine small mutually supporting communities establishing themselves in village-type communities. In that environment broadcast capability would be very useful, especially if broadcasting could be localised and received by not too sophisticated receivers. The use of the broadcast system could be both to co-ordinate activities, and the passing of messages and warnings.

There is low power equipment for sale out of China at the moment in the GBP25.-- price range, so initial investment is reasonable. I'm not sure how many people are going to be prepared to invest money in something that might be for the common good a very ling way down the line though??

Correction the GBP 25.-- units are 100mW only.

7W units are nearer to GBP 100.-- delivered
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

17 January 2012, 17:49,
I can see a village broadcast system being very useful. A common channel. People radio in on channel X and it gets repeated out. They may be able to triangulate it but if it is away from base then it adds a level of security.

Certainly of use to cal people to arms.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin