Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cautionary solar Activity at peak of cycle
9 August 2012, 13:45,
RE: Cautionary solar Activity at peak of cycle
(9 August 2012, 13:41)bigpaul Wrote: i've been spending a bit of time watching RT(Russia Today) on Freeview channel 85....it was a bit strange to start with..i was expecting to hear heavy Russian accents with the news from a Russian slant..but its all western news with newsreaders with American accents...very strangeBig Grin

lol reminds me of sitting watching random russian tv shows just cause i like the russian accent, and well russians in general Tongue...RT always was disappointment to me lol
9 August 2012, 22:58,
(9 August 2012, 13:22)bigpaul Wrote:
(9 August 2012, 13:15)Tigs Wrote: i remember a few years ago sky said we where going to be hit by a massive solar flare, it hit and nothing happend except a blip in radio transmittions

a bit like the year 2000 bug when all the computers and stuff were going to go back to year 0001Big Grin

For 6 months prior to Y2k all I was doing was working 60 hour weeks to prevent disasters. Much like every I.T. firm I came across.
In the final six hours, some panicking big firms were offering staff £400 per hour to stay on over midnight "just in case".
Contrary to popular belief there were failures, a lot of them, but on the whole minor or otherwise hushed up. NORAD had a little panic I believe.
9 August 2012, 23:11,
Paul,

The real question was 'What would have happened if nothing had been done?'

Massive failures I expect but making people aware and them spending money to fix it worked. Although there was a much better and less expensive way that nobody was interested in. Such is our society.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin