Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gas mask as part of prep ??
12 August 2012, 13:41, (This post was last modified: 12 August 2012, 13:42 by Armoured Gideon.)
RE: gas mask as part of prep ??
(11 August 2012, 14:42)ukphil Wrote: Any one got a gas mask as part of prep ??

I'm thinking they would be good for getting out of house fires etc, any one expecting a gas attack ?

Any feed back on this type of mask, or recomendation of others

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shop/...masks.html

yep I've got one.
I have it incase i need to get through smoke from fires started by rioters or society unravelling during an event.
I also have it to get me through tear gas and such things being sprayed by an over zealous police force or army during an event of any kind.

It is in my BOB because I believe it may give me the advantage and allow me to escape through overwise impenertrable enviroments that stand between me and my BOL.
(12 August 2012, 13:41)Armoured Gideon Wrote:
(11 August 2012, 14:42)ukphil Wrote: Any one got a gas mask as part of prep ??

I'm thinking they would be good for getting out of house fires etc, any one expecting a gas attack ?

Any feed back on this type of mask, or recomendation of others

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shop/...masks.html

yep I've got one.
I have it incase i need to get through smoke from fires started by rioters or society unravelling during an event.
I also have it to get me through tear gas and such things being sprayed by an over zealous police force or army during an event of any kind.

It is in my BOB because I believe it may give me the advantage and allow me to escape through overwise impenertrable enviroments that stand between me and my BOL.
Forgot to say that it's a full face mask, British Army issue.
"Some men just want to watch the world burn!"
12 August 2012, 19:15,
I have a dust mask or two in my edc bag. At home I have a few gas masks. They are novelty / curio only really. I have the standard Russian GP 5 "snork" type Latex stretch over complete with severely out of date possibly cancer abusing filter. I have a children's WWII in a box type that seems to be nothing more than a plastic bottle attached to filter.

I have a Russian PBF "gorilla" mask with out of date in opened filters that would be ok in tear has, but that's about it.

Nothing id like to Rely on
12 August 2012, 23:14,
If you watched the international news much this last few years, you will have seen gas masks used often in countries with civil disorder. There has been a lot of civil disorder in Europe, America and the mid East recently that has been on the news. Many times gas masks were shown to be effective against heavy handed authoritarian actions. In an event of wider civil disorder for whatever reason, then a gasmask may well prove very beneficial to enable navigation of fume, smoke or chemical contaminated areas. Research and equpping of state manpower with variety of chemical incapcitants has moved on a pace very recently.

A gas mask may not protect you from a smoke filled room/house, as if there is not enough oxygen to breath then you will just suffocate all the same. This is true for many possible chemical/pollutants. Many troops were found dead in the trenches of the first world war from suffocation, even though they were all wearing gas masks.

Any bit of kit you may think about using, needs to be understood in its context. What I am saying is - RESEARCH the capabilities and tech level of the kit, weighed against its actual real field usage. Do not believe advertising hype or word of mouth or even forums for that matter. Do your own research and find out what the kit actually can and can not do and when & where it is useful - or useless. Happy times, TL.
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
13 August 2012, 00:11,
(12 August 2012, 23:14)Timelord Wrote: If you watched the international news much this last few years, you will have seen gas masks used often in countries with civil disorder. There has been a lot of civil disorder in Europe, America and the mid East recently that has been on the news. Many times gas masks were shown to be effective against heavy handed authoritarian actions. In an event of wider civil disorder for whatever reason, then a gasmask may well prove very beneficial to enable navigation of fume, smoke or chemical contaminated areas. Research and equpping of state manpower with variety of chemical incapcitants has moved on a pace very recently.

A gas mask may not protect you from a smoke filled room/house, as if there is not enough oxygen to breath then you will just suffocate all the same. This is true for many possible chemical/pollutants. Many troops were found dead in the trenches of the first world war from suffocation, even though they were all wearing gas masks.

Any bit of kit you may think about using, needs to be understood in its context. What I am saying is - RESEARCH the capabilities and tech level of the kit, weighed against its actual real field usage. Do not believe advertising hype or word of mouth or even forums for that matter. Do your own research and find out what the kit actually can and can not do and when & where it is useful - or useless. Happy times, TL.

wise words TL
1 October 2012, 13:06,
I have a Scott profile 40 half face respirator with 40mm filters. I chose it because I felt the cartridges were simple to get hold of and in a pandemic event it is a better long term soluation to FFP3 disposables (which I also have plenty of) When fitted it does however intrude over the nose making glasses sit slightly awkward.

I would suggest for those planning for a nuclear winter that a full face is the only answer. Also half face masks have a weight limit on the cartridges used. (heavy cartridges will break the face seal by pulling the mask away from the face) The cartridges that filter everything (Gases, Dusts and Bactreria) are heavy so again for toxic / tear gas etc you will need a full face respirator.

A basic fold flat FFP3 disposable is a good solution for your hand carry and will protect you against inhailing Flue Virus or radiated / harmful dust.
1 October 2012, 14:10,
I have 30 FFP3 masks (disposable) and a Russian gas mask. Looking to buy something for my little boy to wear in the case of pandemic or NCB attack. Yes, it's probably overkill, but I'd rather have it and not need it.
I've only found some escape hoods on American sites so far. All way out of my price range. Does anyone know of anything like a FFP3 mask that could be used by an 18 month old? Something that he can't take off himself would be a bonus, preferable whole head and clear so he doesn't feel like he's in a bag.

If it were a pandemic situation my wife and child would stay at home naturally, but I would need someone to scrub me & the suits down in the clean room before I get into the house proper.
1 October 2012, 15:02,
I also have 2 gas masks. Bought with house fire or some sort of gas leak in mind... not sure how effective it would be for the latter really but must be better than nothing.
1 October 2012, 17:37,
(1 October 2012, 14:10)BeardyMan Wrote: I have 30 FFP3 masks (disposable) and a Russian gas mask. Looking to buy something for my little boy to wear in the case of pandemic or NCB attack. Yes, it's probably overkill, but I'd rather have it and not need it.
I've only found some escape hoods on American sites so far. All way out of my price range. Does anyone know of anything like a FFP3 mask that could be used by an 18 month old? Something that he can't take off himself would be a bonus, preferable whole head and clear so he doesn't feel like he's in a bag.

If it were a pandemic situation my wife and child would stay at home naturally, but I would need someone to scrub me & the suits down in the clean room before I get into the house proper.

Check out the Readimask, they have a child's version. Not tried them, just saw them on a DDP episode Big Grin
http://www.readimask.com/productChild.php
1 October 2012, 17:38,
I have about 60 N95 masks, and a M61 Finnish gas mask, with a 60mm filter, and 2 40mm filters with an separate adapter ring for the mask, so I can use both types.

I got the N95s for protection in the early days of a pandemic, and the M61 in case of fallout and ash as well as biological.

At the moment, because I am still at college, living at home, I cannot store bulk supplies, so I am trying to get as many of the one-off purchases out of the way, like bushcraft / fieldcraft kit, learning skills, smaller items etc, so I can concentrate on the bulk stored food later. Irritatingly, my parents do not care for any of this. They are reluctant to do anything. I must have tried over 100 times by now. They do not even want to keep the car tank full. The only surplus food has been bought by me, other than that they live from week to week.

I'm thinking of getting some rolls of clear plastic, duct tape, outdoor shower setup, as well as more N95s in anticipation of a pandemic.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
1 October 2012, 17:50,
Just a small point, why only N95?
N99's or the Euro coded FFP3 masks are freely available off safety equipment firms.

FFP3 rated respirator mask to EN149:2001 (NIOSH N99) give the highest protection from airborne infection (99.99% efficiency)
Typically £3 each.

I used to think that cartridge masks were the way to go but then I got thinking about it.
What's easier to carry?
Half a dozen fold flat disposable masks or half as dozen cartridges AND the mask to put them in?