Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Still want cats in your retreat after TSHTF ?
5 December 2012, 15:09,
RE: Still want cats in your retreat after TSHTF ?
(5 December 2012, 15:04)Cloud Wrote: Had cats all my life and they have brought home god knows how many dead animals. Personally id still keep my bagpuss, and if/when it got to the point of disease being a major concern, id just not let him out, he's a full blown house cat atm anyway.

And whatever pet you have theres always the risk they are going to bring in ticks, fleas etc. Even just out camping / walking on your own you could walk through a brush of long grass and pick up ticks. (Happened to a whole group of us on a camping trip back when i was at college, one poor sod had one on his ball sac, thats what you get for wearing shorts lol)

i reckon Ticks are the least of it, you can buy tick removers on Ebay for not very much. i'm more concerned about Rats than Ticks!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 December 2012, 15:27,
its OK to have a cat ? seems to be but the point is that after TSHTF you don't want a cat coming in with one of the nastys that will be about if there are bodys sewage etc out there.
5 December 2012, 15:29,
what you need is an OUTDOOR even feral cat after TSHTF to keep down the rats and the mice!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 December 2012, 15:35,
So theres a chance after TSHTF that your cat will pass on something to you but also they would keep rats away whats the solution ?
5 December 2012, 15:39,
(5 December 2012, 15:35)David075 Wrote: So theres a chance after TSHTF that your cat will pass on something to you but also they would keep rats away whats the solution ?

no, if their feral or kept outside they DONT come anywhere near you, they certainly arent allowed indoors, if that is not to your satisfaction then SHOOT all cats on sight!
5 December 2012, 16:31,
In my limited experience I have found terriers to be the best ratters cos they will stay on the job much longer than a cat.

5 December 2012, 19:01,
ok so if you want to have cats post SHTF better to have them outside . My mate had a jack Russell terrier it would be happy to chase rats or anything all day long
5 December 2012, 19:34,
I think most of us will find that if you think that tidddles or fido could be walking through puddles of rotting god knows what, picking up fleas and ticks that have been feeding on the diseased and dying, then they come back ito the retreat or home and hop onto a food prep surface, or let a tick drop alive onto one of the kids, or it shakes itself and a few drops of bacteria laden fluid land on you or your food stuffs. I believe after TSHTF Tiddles and Fido must get used to living outdoors for many long years to come.

5 December 2012, 20:59,
Well I consider my dogs to be part of the family, and so will get as much protection as I can give them,... the hills around here are full of bogs filled with God knows what I have three German Shepherds who loves nothing better than to dive into the stuff,.. we live with ticks here, every day in the summer, we remove them from the dogs,..and ourselves,... and the dogs all live indoors

If the SHTF all you need to do is to keep a good hygine habit for ALL the family and you will be safe enough,.. with all that will be going on, my dogs would be the last of my worries
A major part of survival is invisibility.
6 December 2012, 09:54,
I love cats, and am tying this while I have 2 cats within 30cm of me. No wait, I hate myself and need to jump off something high, or blow myself up, or go play in the traffic!!!

BYE!!!!!!

HAHA, what a load of crap. I love how the DailyFail says 'your cat will make you commit suicide!!!' then annotates a picture with the words "Research suggests...." HAHA. My research has proven......The DailyFAIL lives up to it's name haha.

Anyway, if cats keep people company, why would a person kill themselves? Then nobody would look after the cats. Which suggests to me, anyone with cats is less likely to kill themselves. Cats are low maintenance, and are just great company. Dogs are hard work and would make people kill themselves.

VIVE LA KITTY!!!!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin