Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Microwave used as Faraday cage?
20 August 2012, 15:18,
RE: Microwave used as Faraday cage?
(20 August 2012, 15:13)Prepaday Wrote: I didn't wrap phone in foil and my microwave is red so kinda modern, I know there is an electrical fault with my microwave, it doesn't heat up.....I'm gonna take my phone to the shop and stick it in all the microwaves and dial my phone lol.

As far as I'm aware you want an old one to work properly. If your phone is still picking up signal then it's not a good one to start building an EMP proof box with Sad

20 August 2012, 19:47, (This post was last modified: 20 August 2012, 19:48 by Hrusai.)
phew im glad someone said to try the old phone your phone in a cage trick as a test Big Grin...used to do it all the time in physics Big Grin

only decent test really, unless you wanna put a pet in there and electrocute it violently xD

but for real though faraday cages are really easy to make and work in a very simple way, all they are is a metal cage pretty much, they simply offer electricity a path of least resistance so instead of going through you, it'll go through metal, simples Smile

although i'd do a fair amount of reading on it, for instance i just read this little snippet

"they shield the interior from external electromagnetic radiation if the conductor is thick enough and any holes are significantly smaller than the wavelength of the radiation."

which if you think about it changes the whole approach to a faraday cage for protecting electronic devices from a solar flare or a man made emp burst Tongue....ill probably toddle off and do some calculations about it and see what wavelengths are probable from each electromagnetic event Smile

anyway i'd research up on it and think about exactly what you want the faraday cage for Smile

if you need more help i can try and find some how to guides Big Grin
20 August 2012, 19:50,
Why bother when you can make a faraday cage that will cover all eventualities just as easy as one that will only hold off a solar flare.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
20 August 2012, 19:58,
yes but different types of electromagnetic pulses wont necessarily have the same wavelengths Tongue, you may be right and it might be easy to make one to cover all eventualities, but then again, you may be wrong, i just wanna check ^^
21 August 2012, 06:08,
you know all you need to make a faraday cage is a metal box even an old biscuit tin with a tight seal will do as long as you line it with something like polystyrene or wood so what you are protecting does not touch any of the metal
21 August 2012, 12:46,
Really with hair style like this he has to know. Interesting how he managed to hold a rod that was getting 200,000 volts chucked at it.

And it seems to back up what Tigs is saying, so why we are talking about using old microwaves when a metal box is enough, in the video the bloke says at one point a cooking pot can be a faraday cage.

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
21 August 2012, 13:16,
(21 August 2012, 06:08)Tigs Wrote: you know all you need to make a faraday cage is a metal box even an old biscuit tin with a tight seal will do as long as you line it with something like polystyrene or wood so what you are protecting does not touch any of the metal

Still worth the phone test though. If your phone rings then you are not protected.
21 August 2012, 14:12,
I have just bought a large cake tin, Going to try and make a cage from that, just need something to insulate it now. All I need it for is batteries for my torch and the torch itself. Not into electrical gadgets so a phone doesn't matter.
21 August 2012, 14:34,
(21 August 2012, 14:12)Prepaday Wrote: I have just bought a large cake tin, Going to try and make a cage from that, just need something to insulate it now. All I need it for is batteries for my torch and the torch itself. Not into electrical gadgets so a phone doesn't matter.

Putting the phone in isn't to protect it - it's to test if there's signal bleeding through to the device. Don't get carried away and think that the biscuit tin is a 100% bullet proof solution, cause it's not.
21 August 2012, 14:36,
If at first you don't suck seed......