Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Do they know?
5 September 2012, 17:15,
RE: Do they know?
Apart from TOF jnr, all my family and the (very) few friends I have think I'm a stupid old biddy with a hoarding complex. No they don't prep, they don't even have enough to last a week and apart from my favourite wee niece, nephew and their mum who does have a good 'rainy day' cupboard, they will not be sharing mine.

Sailing away, not close to the wind.Heart
5 September 2012, 20:18,
(5 September 2012, 16:11)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(5 September 2012, 14:38)Tibbs735 Wrote: Do your friends and family know that you are making preparations?
If yes, are they also preparing or are they choosing not to?

What I did with various members of my family is to raise the issue twice with them over a period of time, usually when some significent story or event occurs such as that bastard of a winter we had two years ago. I often use such a reference to enquire " did you get snowed in and run out of stuff to eat, or did you have extra set aside for a rainy day" Then six months later I would enquire" Winters coming again have you made any preps incase its another bad one" and if their replies are negative both times I write them off and exclude them from my preps.

The irony is they may have turned into preppers after your first chat, but by the second chat be too worried about OPSEC to tell you Big Grin
5 September 2012, 21:15,
Only my close family know and they too are prepping. We Prep in anticipation of one or all other close family members beating a hasty retreat to each others' door.

No one else knows! Well, I hope not although, I believe my next door neighbour is 'up to it' and may have gathered that I am! I'm cool with it since we help each other out .. I have a nifty pallet breaking bar and a never ending supply of pallets and he is handy at catching trout (yum) and assisting with certain air rifle 'things', gardening things and splitting costs on bulk purchases of coal etc.

My friends don't know but I believe they view me a slightly eccentric anyway! I'm not especially worried about more distant relatives, I don't think for a moment that they would think about turning up on my doorstep.

It's quite suprising, I am convinced there are three other households, excluding my immediate neighbour, Who are prepping within less than a quarter of a mile of my home. Perhaps there are many more of us about than we think!

I hope so!

3 October 2012, 03:12,
(5 September 2012, 14:38)Tibbs735 Wrote: Do your friends and family know that you are making preparations?
If yes, are they also preparing or are they choosing not to?
Can you imagine them knocking on your door to ask for help, maybe taking it by force out of desperation or hinting to the mob about the "greedy hoarder who isn't giving his fair share" when times are hard.
In a scenario when not many are left, like a pandemic, I can imagine this not being a major issue, if it strikes quickly enough.
However if something like hyperinflation or a solar flare happens, unless you have bugged out quickly enough or have maintained OPSEC, how would you deal with this?
harshly-at the end of the day it gets dark. u dig? my food is my survival and only a threat on my life (that i believed was UN-stopperble) would make me give up my food. but my kit i would fight to the death over. as for family, i'de probably just shoot em or something lol naw i'de get em to listen to me as i teached them to scavange and slowly food stocks would rise up again. as long as i was being listen to that is.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!