Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How far can you bug out in a 1.2 litre car??
9 September 2012, 10:08,
RE: How far can you bug out in a 1.2 litre car??
(9 September 2012, 09:59)bigpaul Wrote: and Honda CB 450 shitehawks Smile
Exactly!! trouble with the nighthawk is 1. its a single seater chop so no pillion and 2. its a bit heavy..if i slid in mud it would be a bugger to pick up again!! if your truly going off road a trials/trail bike it better suited..their a bit high seated for me these days, had one of those Chinese things and it nearly cut me in half!!Big Grin

[/quote]

Wot about converting the shitehawk into a trike? or fitting it with 2nd seat and micro trailer?

9 September 2012, 10:17,
(9 September 2012, 10:08)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(9 September 2012, 09:59)bigpaul Wrote: and Honda CB 450 shitehawks Smile
Exactly!! trouble with the nighthawk is 1. its a single seater chop so no pillion and 2. its a bit heavy..if i slid in mud it would be a bugger to pick up again!! if your truly going off road a trials/trail bike it better suited..their a bit high seated for me these days, had one of those Chinese things and it nearly cut me in half!!Big Grin

Wot about converting the shitehawk into a trike? or fitting it with 2nd seat and micro trailer?
[/quote]
micro trailer might be possible, trike is too much work (i'm not an engineer), second seat not possible because of design....easiest thing would be to sell it and get something more suitable!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
9 September 2012, 12:13,
(9 September 2012, 09:30)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(9 September 2012, 08:42)Paul Wrote: Got the drift of the thread Big Grin but being cynical old me:-

First mega big traffic jam would be my guess.Confused

That my illustrious elderly friend Smile is why I go on and on about preppers doing indepth local reccies of al the B, C, RUPPS, Bridle ways and old tracks of your area as possible. Motorways, Dual Carriageways and A roads are reallt routes to avoid apart from the fact both the military, police and civil authorities have already earmarked those roads for emergency vehicles and mil convoys and will close most em as soon as TSHTF you also have to watch out for the mass migration of the less spotted sheeplebirds who will clog up the primary routes within hours.
Ordnance survey is your best friend.

Why thank you for my new title NR, "illustrious elderly friend"
SWMBO still laying on back laughing like mad at that one. Rolleyes
Sort of gets us back on to car size nicely. But there lies a problem.
Small vehicle, small capacity. My old Lada went anywhere.
Slowly. At times VERY SLOWLY, whining it's little cross box like a demented bumble bee in low ratio, but it got there.
Boot size? Not even the Alsatian fitted!Confused
So for prepping, it was good for two of you and the kit piled up on the back seat plus dawg.
Now consider a family?
Large swims into mind, Landy ,R rover, or the like.
Yet turning circles are huge, guzzling fuel faster than I can chug a pint.

So off road we go down B, C, RUPPS, Bridle ways and old tracks and alike. Anything larger than an old panda 4x4 or Suzuki 410 coming to an abrupt halt because someone hasn't maintained the path and that lovely little sapling you noticed 6 months ago has grown into a tree intent on ripping out your brake lines, muffler or alike.

It's a bit of a problem for all you family preppers I know.
What to take when space is tight, wiff, dawg, kids, or gear?
(at this mo it's me and the dawg!)

Map reading is good, surveys are better, and a good few years ago I used to love going "where ramblers fear to tread".
Now, because of the cost of fuel and all the legislation, bylaws, and jobs worth's, most of my route planning is done via Google Earth so that's got to be a couple of years out of date let alone my OS maps.

That's why I use minimal gear and carry even less stock. Shy
Small vehicle, diesel, really low mpg, small personal gear but equipped to forage / smash / grab / and take what I need.

"All above board though and in the best possible taste" Angel

9 September 2012, 14:47,
We struggle but can can get the 3 or us plus our BOBS, food box, mini cooker, porta potty, waterproofs and weapons into our Mitsy Pinin 1.8 with nowt going on the roof so theoretically I could ad a reood box or roof tent to gimme more capacity.

9 September 2012, 15:42,
(9 September 2012, 12:13)Paul Wrote:
(9 September 2012, 09:30)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(9 September 2012, 08:42)Paul Wrote: Got the drift of the thread Big Grin but being cynical old me:-

First mega big traffic jam would be my guess.Confused

That my illustrious elderly friend Smile is why I go on and on about preppers doing indepth local reccies of al the B, C, RUPPS, Bridle ways and old tracks of your area as possible. Motorways, Dual Carriageways and A roads are reallt routes to avoid apart from the fact both the military, police and civil authorities have already earmarked those roads for emergency vehicles and mil convoys and will close most em as soon as TSHTF you also have to watch out for the mass migration of the less spotted sheeplebirds who will clog up the primary routes within hours.
Ordnance survey is your best friend.

Why thank you for my new title NR, "illustrious elderly friend"
SWMBO still laying on back laughing like mad at that one. Rolleyes
Sort of gets us back on to car size nicely. But there lies a problem.
Small vehicle, small capacity. My old Lada went anywhere.
Slowly. At times VERY SLOWLY, whining it's little cross box like a demented bumble bee in low ratio, but it got there.
Boot size? Not even the Alsatian fitted!Confused
So for prepping, it was good for two of you and the kit piled up on the back seat plus dawg.
Now consider a family?
Large swims into mind, Landy ,R rover, or the like.
Yet turning circles are huge, guzzling fuel faster than I can chug a pint.

So off road we go down B, C, RUPPS, Bridle ways and old tracks and alike. Anything larger than an old panda 4x4 or Suzuki 410 coming to an abrupt halt because someone hasn't maintained the path and that lovely little sapling you noticed 6 months ago has grown into a tree intent on ripping out your brake lines, muffler or alike.

It's a bit of a problem for all you family preppers I know.
What to take when space is tight, wiff, dawg, kids, or gear?
(at this mo it's me and the dawg!)

Map reading is good, surveys are better, and a good few years ago I used to love going "where ramblers fear to tread".
Now, because of the cost of fuel and all the legislation, bylaws, and jobs worth's, most of my route planning is done via Google Earth so that's got to be a couple of years out of date let alone my OS maps.

That's why I use minimal gear and carry even less stock. Shy
Small vehicle, diesel, really low mpg, small personal gear but equipped to forage / smash / grab / and take what I need.

"All above board though and in the best possible taste" Angel
this all brings me back to the "rascal van" clones, Suzuki carryvan (petrol) or Piaggio porter van(for the diesel lovers amongst us), small van on the outside for all those narrow lanes, but big on the inside-room for loads of stuff....GREAT turning circle cos no bonnet!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 September 2012, 20:34,
(9 September 2012, 08:51)bigpaul Wrote: depends on the size/width of your vehicle, thats why i keep banging on about Suzuki Vans(Rascal type) for narrow, deep Devon lanes!!Big Grin

i remember seeing a subaru 4x4 van very much like the rascal .
28 September 2012, 11:47,
(27 September 2012, 20:34)David075 Wrote:
(9 September 2012, 08:51)bigpaul Wrote: depends on the size/width of your vehicle, thats why i keep banging on about Suzuki Vans(Rascal type) for narrow, deep Devon lanes!!Big Grin

yes, i saw one of these recently at a car boot sale, noticed how high the front was from the road, wasnt for sale though.
28 September 2012, 20:43,
(28 September 2012, 11:47)bigpaul Wrote:

yes, i saw one of these recently at a car boot sale, noticed how high the front was from the road, wasnt for sale though.

i remember the name now subaru sumo think it was a 1.2 or 1.3 engine .
29 September 2012, 08:46,
(28 September 2012, 20:43)David075 Wrote:
(28 September 2012, 11:47)bigpaul Wrote:

i remember the name now subaru sumo think it was a 1.2 or 1.3 engine .
i've been googling it, i dont think they make it any more??