Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you ready for winter and its natural and man msade tribulations?
13 September 2012, 16:14,
RE: Are you ready for winter and its natural and man msade tribulations?
I've never been one for jumpers but I bought 2 today, I would love a few of those old Army blankets, you know the cream ones with 2 green lines on, the ones that make you itch but can't find them anywhere.
I must invest in some good quality hot water bottles. Bought out the heavy lined curtains out from storage.
If need be, the kids will wear socks and a dressing gown in bed and I will warm their uniform up in the dryer in the morning. I refuse to use any heating this year due to principle !
13 September 2012, 16:51,
I had my chimney swept today, i have a large store of wood that has been drying all year, so i'm good to go if the heating packs up.
"Some men just want to watch the world burn!"
13 September 2012, 17:02,
found some bubble wrap, that will go bubble side down on the windows if it gets to cold Smile
13 September 2012, 17:12,
Does the bubble wrap/clingfilm make much difference? Got really big single payne windows
13 September 2012, 17:32,
I think it makes a difference, Maybe google a bit and see if others think the same? I use it on the kids bedroom windows, doesn't keep out light and adds to privacy Smile It does look kinda cool from outside but we all have different perceptions of cool Smile
13 September 2012, 18:09,
(13 September 2012, 16:14)Prepaday Wrote: I've never been one for jumpers but I bought 2 today, I would love a few of those old Army blankets, you know the cream ones with 2 green lines on, the ones that make you itch but can't find them anywhere.
I must invest in some good quality hot water bottles. Bought out the heavy lined curtains out from storage.
If need be, the kids will wear socks and a dressing gown in bed and I will warm their uniform up in the dryer in the morning. I refuse to use any heating this year due to principle !

there are some military style olive green woollen blankets on Amazon £16.99 +£3.99p&p.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
13 September 2012, 22:33,
my lpg tank is full, my 2 wood sheds are full, 3 20 Lts derv 6 gals petrol , re done loft insul . i bought a old wheat grinder to be run by a d type lister will finish the refurb in a few weeks ... can,t wait to try it out ! and my 50 arrows will arrive tomorrow. Still got a doz trees to drop that will keep us warm in 2 ways
13 September 2012, 22:47,
Me and my neighbours get together and purchase coal in bulk which saves me quite a bit, I have a tonne. I am continuing to collect pallets and have two full stores which are well seasoned. I need to build another wood/ coal store closer to my back door so I don't have to traipse down the garden for fuel in foul weather.

I was thinking about parrafin heaters today! I have no idea what the price of parrafin is, I think I will research this a bit as the ones we used to have when I was a kid used to work really well and when kept in good condition with the wicks trimmed, don't smell. Anyone else use these? I
think a couple would be great back up.
13 September 2012, 23:58,
Got to service my genes stock up on diesel 60 Lt min and full tank in truck got to order some wood for this winter as my oak ain't dry yet still got loads to chop up as well
Is it right you can burn ash straight away ??
Windows to have the clear plastic on and curtain or dust sheet doubled up as a big curtain for the out side porch got one inside. It all helps Smile
Got to Get some more winter boots ?any suggestions

Bd
14 September 2012, 04:56,
(13 September 2012, 17:02)Prepaday Wrote: found some bubble wrap, that will go bubble side down on the windows if it gets to cold Smile

you can buy what is essentially thick plastic with stickiness to put on your windows, the extra layer helps with insulation a helluva lot, and its real cheap to buy Smile...only downside is you can open your windows if you put it on xD