Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gill nets
29 September 2012, 16:38,
Gill nets
Hi

Is it legal to use gill nets for fishing in the UK

I watched a video the other day with a guy setting gill nets at low water and then leaving them for a tide

I am getting conflicting views from different people.

Gill nets are a good survival fishing tactic butlike all of these things they require practice now so we know haw to use them then

pj
If you can't strip it down and re build it, you don't own it
29 September 2012, 17:04,
RE: Gill nets
Not sure if there legal. Met a guy who was working on berwick pier and they had problems with poachers using nets to catch salmon. So im guessing there ilegal, but im not a fishing expert.
29 September 2012, 17:18,
what about one of these?"Crayfish lobster folding shrimp mini mesh fishing net" on Amazon £4.64 free delivery??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 September 2012, 17:57,
(29 September 2012, 17:18)bigpaul Wrote: what about one of these?"Crayfish lobster folding shrimp mini mesh fishing net" on Amazon £4.64 free delivery??

I have got one of those but I am looking for something that is going to catch a lot of fish with minimal effort

I don't want to be out there practicing with the gill net and fall foul of the law
30 September 2012, 07:16,
gill nets are illegal in in the uk You can get a £2500 fine for using one
30 September 2012, 10:44,
Thanks Tigs

I thought they were illegal in freash water but I did not know they were illegal in the sea.
30 September 2012, 10:59,
they are not illegal if used from a boat at the moment but they can not be left which defeats what they are used for !

you would be better off using a Seine net Seine fishing

personally i would use traps
30 September 2012, 11:10,
I've bought a few of each of these. Like guns they are illegal now but we are after all preparing for a futire where laws do not exist.

You will quickly learn and having the right tools helps a lot.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 September 2012, 12:36,
Every year the idiot scientists come up with the same story that we as a nation aren't eating enough fish.
So imagine my surprise (not really) when I read ANOTHER group of experts (this time money weasels) wanting the UK to mothball it's fishing fleets for 10 years.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/3460...h-shortage-

If this was to happen, your gill nets will be raking in loads of money as what ever you catch will be highly sell-able.

30 September 2012, 22:49,
they are NOT ILLEGAL fresh water YES they are
i gill net beaches BUT check out your local bylaws

bd