Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
70% of young adults cant sew on a button!!
7 October 2012, 09:20, (This post was last modified: 7 October 2012, 09:22 by Scythe13.)
RE: 70% of young adults cant sew on a button!!
Uni taught me loads of things. For example.....washing is easy, cooking is easy, food poisoning is temporary, you don't need to use a pencil sharpener on a fountain pen, you can't kick a girl in the balls to win the fight, and many other much needed lessons of life.
Oh, and velcro is easier to use than buttons!

"Velcro fly on those Levis sir?"
"Why yes they are!!! How did you notice?"
"Because it sounded like you were ripping your nuts off when you opened your fly!!!"
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 October 2012, 12:16,
got my mother-in-law to teach me how to darn a few years ago and even got one of those wooden darning mushrooms. useful thing to be able to do as it can extend the life of things like socks, jumpers etc
they laugh at us because we're different, we laugh at them because they're all the same
7 October 2012, 12:22,
Velcro is the enemy of preppers, its to bloody noisy, as a squaddie i could soon track down cammed up new squaddies on exercise at night cos of the constant ripping noises as they opened pockets, pouches, cuffs etc. Canadian slotted buttons is the only tactical option for the night. However velcro is fine for normal EDC life as you can actually train third year university students to use velcro without their mums help.

7 October 2012, 23:22,
I read an article recently saying that most kids up to age 16 never help around the house at all and only 1 in 5 strech to tidying their own room... it carried on to say 'if your struggling to get it all done why not... ask the other half to do more!'... I was fully expecting tips on getting kids involved or a storm of discust... but no!. Anyhow the point is... if kids are not even picking up their own junk as apparently most don't how the heck can they be expected to do anything as 'difficult' as threading a needle in order to sew?
8 October 2012, 09:05, (This post was last modified: 8 October 2012, 09:19 by BrixhamBadger.)
Dodgy Most of today's parents were kids themselves in the 70s and 80s. In that "golden age", household technology was pretty much limited to radio and TV.... for proper entertainment, you really had to break out a sweat. You had to make an effort to fulfill your time with interest. As kids, they were given a very limited choice of options & most of them had to do with outside Undecided ...... they had to leave the premises of the home and go out actively seeking for something to do. Wink

This curious twist of fate forced them to socialize with other kids in the neighborhood. It forced them to develop street smarts that were necessary to survive the childhood. They were forced to use their brains to create fun. And oftentimes, since this fun usually bordered on minor delinquency, Angel they also had to develop strong muscles in order to be able to escape the raging neighbor's dog, or his air gun, or the lash of his belt.Blush They spent their time breathing the fine polluted city air, they would play lots of ball sports, make pranks, beat each other.... they built their characters. Shy

We grew up.
Rolleyes When you think of it, when our parents wanted a quiet moment at home they sent us outside to play with other kids. Smile Today, in order to get the ticks of their backs, parents send them to their room, where a PC provides all the attention and entertainment that one needs. Sad

In our times, even if we wanted to play computer games. we could not, there weren't any. Even if we wanted to deep-fry our balls by carrying a mobile phone in a side pocket of our jeans, we could not, there weren't any. All we had was a football. And the wicked, satanic innovativeness of a child. Tongue

Today, forget all that. You don't have to do anything to be entertained. Today, entertainment is being served in heaploads. Dodgy All you have to do is laze down and watch some kind of monitor for intellectual stimulus.

Ah well.... better go get something done. Shy
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
8 October 2012, 10:18,
(7 October 2012, 23:22)Hexyprep Wrote: I read an article recently saying that most kids up to age 16 never help around the house at all and only 1 in 5 strech to tidying their own room... it carried on to say 'if your struggling to get it all done why not... ask the other half to do more!'... I was fully expecting tips on getting kids involved or a storm of discust... but no!. Anyhow the point is... if kids are not even picking up their own junk as apparently most don't how the heck can they be expected to do anything as 'difficult' as threading a needle in order to sew?

I struggle to get my spoilt brat to do enough chores but he usually does a modest amount, but its offset by him doing well at school and knuckling down when it comes to learning preppers skills. Cooking, Shooting,Archery, First Aid, Fire lighting, Navigating, etc

8 October 2012, 10:21,
You never said a truer word BB, and i agree with all you said!Big Grin makes you fear for their survival when TSHTF dosent it?? or maybe not...maybe it'll be survival of the most prepared and the rest will go the way of the Dodo??Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 October 2012, 11:54,
Aye mate for sure.... frightening is it not?
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
8 October 2012, 12:00,
(8 October 2012, 11:54)BrixhamBadger Wrote: Aye mate for sure.... frightening is it not?

dosent really surprise me these days, i mean there are kids who leave school, college or uni now expecting to walk into a high paid job, as if it was their right, as we know, especially in the low pay area of the south west there arent any jobs.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 October 2012, 12:11,
(8 October 2012, 12:00)bigpaul Wrote:
(8 October 2012, 11:54)BrixhamBadger Wrote: Aye mate for sure.... frightening is it not?

dosent really surprise me these days, i mean there are kids who leave school, college or uni now expecting to walk into a high paid job, as if it was their right, as we know, especially in the low pay area of the south west there arent any jobs.

Really not the kids fault.

They get brainwashed by the education BUSINESS into parting with huge sums of money for an education that is GUARANTEED to land them celebrity jobs with celebrity pay..

I've even seen economics students from some of the UK's best Universities falling for this...

Once again its a certain generation (mine) who will end up payiong for this deception when we find ourselves continuing to financially support our children and pay off their debts even when they are 40 years old :-(

Smart kids are now those who reject University and go and get a job that involves a manual skill that's in constant demand. Preferrably somthing a little grimy, as that's where the earning potential lies.

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580