Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buying stuff
17 October 2012, 19:34,
RE: buying stuff
Would love to be able to afford all the kit,food and water I need, but I dont.
Im going to rely on my knowledge and being able to take what I want from places when tshf
17 October 2012, 19:44,
(17 October 2012, 19:23)IB1 Wrote: Knowledge is great and is probably more important than kit, but kit can make your life a hell of a lot easier. As a very simple example, having the knowledge to be able to light a fire with a just a couple of sticks is a great and important skill to have - but it is far easier to light a fire with a disposable lighter.

A fair point. But as I see it....why not have both? haha
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 October 2012, 19:59,
like bp where do you put it all,big place or small place the same applys, my underground stores is full , i am now stocking in my garage and its not the ideal place if seen by others, i have enough for me and wifey , but i am saving for my 3 daughters and dependants cause they think i am nutts .... but untill i have enough for all i will keep on with it
17 October 2012, 20:13,
(17 October 2012, 19:44)Scythe13 Wrote:
(17 October 2012, 19:23)IB1 Wrote: Knowledge is great and is probably more important than kit, but kit can make your life a hell of a lot easier. As a very simple example, having the knowledge to be able to light a fire with a just a couple of sticks is a great and important skill to have - but it is far easier to light a fire with a disposable lighter.

That was my point Smile Knowledge and kit both have their place
You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
17 October 2012, 20:28,
(17 October 2012, 20:13)IB1 Wrote:
(17 October 2012, 19:44)Scythe13 Wrote:
That was my point Smile Knowledge and kit both have their place

Sorry mate, fun with dyslexia.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
17 October 2012, 22:44,
(17 October 2012, 18:39)NorthernRaider Wrote: Me too, so bloody skint cannot even afford to get van fixed,

What is wrong with your van?

I do not see that I buy 'preps', everything I have I use already. Apart from those bloody crayfish traps, but those were just too cheap to pass up on and as the rivers around here still have populations of native cray the EA said no way to a license to fish for signals.

I do like getting bargains tho. Like the offcut bags of para cord from the chandlers that are dirt cheap and make a couple of dark winter evenings fly by untangling miles of the stuff.
18 October 2012, 08:35,
(17 October 2012, 22:44)BDG Wrote:
(17 October 2012, 18:39)NorthernRaider Wrote: Me too, so bloody skint cannot even afford to get van fixed,

Both my van and wifeys 4x4 both have terrible tin worm, my sill fell off, and her chassis is crumbling.

18 October 2012, 09:14, (This post was last modified: 18 October 2012, 09:25 by Prepper1.)
(17 October 2012, 18:39)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(17 October 2012, 17:19)bigpaul Wrote:
(17 October 2012, 15:20)NorthernRaider Wrote: Naaa my old friend different people have different lifestyles, income and level of interest in prepping. Some like the absolute basic min, others prefer to invest in more kit, some like to hunt out bargains, horses for courses I think.
i think i'm going to be one of the "Basic" types then, i dont think i can buy everything nor can we store everything, i think we've got most of the bases covered, after TSHTF there will be plenty of stuff lying around anyway.

Me too, so bloody skint cannot even afford to get van fixed, I'm hoping i've got enough kit assembled now just to see me through the initial crisis period.
Shame I don't live nearby N.R. I'd have fixed it for buckshee you'd just have to for out for just parts.

(17 October 2012, 19:34)Metroyeti Wrote: Would love to be able to afford all the kit,food and water I need, but I dont.
Im going to rely on my knowledge and being able to take what I want from places when tshf
I wouldn't worry about it too much, knowledge is the key to survival, any kit you have is just an added bonus.
If you have a good look at ordinary household items, youd be amazed at how many would do you for survival as well.
I mean you use them everyday like pans and cutlery, etc... yep its not mess tins or a trangia but it still works and does the job, plus the pound shops are a great source of budget stuff, yep its not the best in the world but they do loads of camping stuff in the summer.

Have mig welder will travel...

I do not see that I buy 'preps', everything I have I use already. Apart from those bloody crayfish traps, but those were just too cheap to pass up on and as the rivers around here still have populations of native cray the EA said no way to a license to fish for signals.

I do like getting bargains tho. Like the offcut bags of para cord from the chandlers that are dirt cheap and make a couple of dark winter evenings fly by untangling miles of the stuff.
I used to breed Australian yabbies in tanks, they breed like buggery, and if you like them for eating you could I suppose get them used to cooler water and release post shtf, then there would be no e.a. to bother you.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
18 October 2012, 10:02, (This post was last modified: 18 October 2012, 10:46 by bigpaul.)
(18 October 2012, 08:35)NorthernRaider Wrote:

Both my van and wifeys 4x4 both have terrible tin worm, my sill fell off, and her chassis is crumbling.

sounds painful!!Tongue
I think it depends on a lot of things, i mean a CITY prepper will probably store different things to a COUNTRY prepper, an older prepper (like me) will probably make do with having a lot less than a younger prepper, having been brought up in an age where our/my parents had less anyway and repaired stuff rather than throwing it away and buying new.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
18 October 2012, 11:09,
Yabby, I had to look that up I thought you meant something like a Tilapia but its a crayfish, very nutricous fresh water lobster. A stew pound features highly on my post apoc plans I was thinking about carp though never considered cray fish, time to do some research methinks.