Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Threats-People.
27 October 2012, 15:04, (This post was last modified: 27 October 2012, 15:05 by NorthernRaider.)
RE: Threats-People.
(27 October 2012, 14:56)IB1 Wrote: Part of the problem is that apart from the many arseholes and bs artists on prepping sites, even genuine preppers commitment varies widely and that can cause issues. Thats not saying that you have to be some big hairy arsed hardcore survivalist and everyone who isn't is just paying lip service to it, just that some people dont give it as high a priority as others so dont see the need to meet or link up.

Some people are happy just buying a couple of tins of beans and chatting about it on the internet and nothing more and good luck to them, but it does really limit the number of people who are of the same mindset as your own and who you would want to link up with either prior to or after an event.

Mind you, I can be a miserable and obnoxious bastard myself so maybe thats why i havent met up with any fellow preppers for a few years Smile

You like exactly like the sort of person I WOULD want to meet up with Smile
Tomorrow Binary is supposed to be coming to my house, next week another member is promising to call in again, and next friday I'm having lunch with a third prepper in Durham !!

27 October 2012, 15:09,
its always nice to meet new people and put faces to names, but IF TSHTF tomorrow or next week i know that myself and OH would be very much in the minority with no prepper friends anywhere near us i think the nearest(on this site) is Brixham Badger...and he's a LONG way south of us, and the next is on the Devon/Somerset border..probably 60 miles away, so if things went "pear-shaped" its batten down the hatches and repel boarders!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 October 2012, 15:13,
So would I be considered an armchair survivalist? I'm quite new to this so all I've done really so far is read through quite a lot on this forum and start stocking up on food and water. Over the next few weeks I need to get a few bags, one for bugging out, one for an edc, and start shopping for everything on the many lists I seem to have. After that, I want to start looking at courses for things like bushcraft and growing food, water collecting and power generating. So if there's anyone in Berkshire willing to share a few lessons...

Apart from that the majority of what I've done has been sat on my backside looking at this forum and making notes Smile

“When an empire fears for its survival, its prime has passed.”
27 October 2012, 15:18,
(27 October 2012, 15:13)Sichr20 Wrote: So would I be considered an armchair survivalist? I'm quite new to this so all I've done really so far is read through quite a lot on this forum and start stocking up on food and water. Over the next few weeks I need to get a few bags, one for bugging out, one for an edc, and start shopping for everything on the many lists I seem to have. After that, I want to start looking at courses for things like bushcraft and growing food, water collecting and power generating. So if there's anyone in Berkshire willing to share a few lessons...

Apart from that the majority of what I've done has been sat on my backside looking at this forum and making notes Smile

Smile

Everyone has to start somewhere so no I wouldnt say that, but if in a months time you start telling everyone what an expert you are and dropping into conversation how you fought off 100 zombies who were after your 20 year supply of food using your deadly arsenal of weapons and magical kung fu skills then yes Smile

You have the right to hold any beliefs you want. You do not have the right to have those beliefs automatically respected
27 October 2012, 15:20, (This post was last modified: 27 October 2012, 15:37 by NorthernRaider.)
(27 October 2012, 15:13)Sichr20 Wrote: So would I be considered an armchair survivalist? I'm quite new to this so all I've done really so far is read through quite a lot on this forum and start stocking up on food and water. Over the next few weeks I need to get a few bags, one for bugging out, one for an edc, and start shopping for everything on the many lists I seem to have. After that, I want to start looking at courses for things like bushcraft and growing food, water collecting and power generating. So if there's anyone in Berkshire willing to share a few lessons...

No yer daft bugger you are just finding your feet, your only in the initial research stage. We are griping about the sad, the lame and the lazy who have or claim to have been prepping for years, but still usually have the most sad and pathetic reasons why they cannot or will not move to a more sustainable location. Though some have damn good reasons why they CHOOSE to stay where they are, and they accept the limitations and plan accordingly. SD made his own case erecently as to why logistically he aint going to move, thats absolutely acceptable, fair and level headed. Another member and his dear lady wont move from close to Sheffield, when I badgered them they admittted they were to bloody busy trying to make a life for themselves and they liked where they were and accepted the constaints that placed on them. I can admire people for having such resiliance. Its the losers who always come up with silly excuses that annoy the old dogs Smile
(27 October 2012, 15:18)IB1 Wrote:

Smile

Everyone has to start somewhere so no I wouldnt say that, but if in a months time you start telling everyone what an expert you are and dropping into conversation how you fought off 100 zombies who were after your 20 year supply of food using your deadly arsenal of weapons and magical kung fu skills then yes Smile

Or tried to say living in Reading is strategically sound and secure Smile
Dont go rushing out throwing good money at kit, just slow down, read, study, read again, analyse, then ask yourself TWICE do you really need that item. Survivalism is NOT about spending loads of money on blingy kit like bright red 4x4s, Bear Gryls badged knifes etc. Its about self enlightenment and self education.

please please please start with your EDC gear cos that is what you are most likely to have on you when TSHTF.
So
Knife
Multi tool
Analogue watch
Tactical flashlight
Compass
Note book n pen
Shades
Bandana
small water bottle
dust masks
good lighter
good EDC footwear ( from DMs to approach shoes)
First aid kit
AM / FM radio
Cell phone
Tactical gloves and hat
Light Sticks
Para cord
Ration bars
Area map with useful places highlighted
decent EDC jacket and pants ( I like Soft shells and Cargos)
Small 20 litre rucksack
Binos
Mini pry bar
etc
but dont go mad.

27 October 2012, 15:58,
Fair enough, I've been concentrating on an edc anyway, I cycle everywhere so I always have a fairly big bag most of the time.

And if in a months time I start boasting about how good a prepper I am then feel free to come and give me a good kicking Smile

27 October 2012, 16:08, (This post was last modified: 27 October 2012, 16:13 by NorthernRaider.)
Folding mountain bike
Cordura quick release saddle bags
Titanium tyre lever (weapon)
High energy LED lamps ( with Energiser batts)
Green tyre company puncture proof tyres
Gel seat
Hand held CB radio on bag across chest
Pistol Crossbow
36 bolts modded as per Nemesis spec
Multi tool with socket accessories to fit bike
Boot knife
No fooking lycra or shoot me hi viz crap
(27 October 2012, 16:08)NorthernRaider Wrote: Folding mountain bike
Cordura quick release saddle bags
Titanium tyre lever (weapon)
High energy LED lamps ( with Energiser batts)
Green tyre company puncture proof tyres
Gel seat
Hand held CB radio on bag across chest
Pistol Crossbow
36 bolts modded as per Nemesis spec
Multi tool with socket accessories to fit bike
Boot knife
No fooking lycra or shoot me hi viz crap

Fooking idiot NR forgetting the man

Polarised balistic shades
cordura, lyrcra, carbon fibre gloves ( Kona type stuff)
buff
Mini sat nav
money belt with hidden pocket carrying id, cash, cards etc

27 October 2012, 17:22,
That's a pretty impressive list there, better start saving I guess. I've already got a fair bit of it sorted for the bike as I work in a bike shop. I won't be going for the folding bike though, mines nice and light enough but also sturdy and capable.

Thanks again for the list, I'll keep you guys updated on the progress Smile

27 October 2012, 19:08,
(27 October 2012, 17:22)Sichr20 Wrote: That's a pretty impressive list there, better start saving I guess. I've already got a fair bit of it sorted for the bike as I work in a bike shop. I won't be going for the folding bike though, mines nice and light enough but also sturdy and capable.

Thanks again for the list, I'll keep you guys updated on the progress Smile

How easy is it to hide though ? Smile just an option to consider.

27 October 2012, 20:58,
Well I was looking out for some kind of camo net small enough to cover it, although it is black and green so I could just stick it in a bush Smile