Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Grylls: The Sting
29 October 2012, 16:42,
RE: Bear Grylls: The Sting
I once got stung by an ant (don't laugh, it bloody hurt) as a kid at junior school, it must have crawled up my short pants at playtime and let me have it high on the back of my thigh, i thought i'd sat on a drawing pin at first. I hear they inject formic acid into the bite and i can well believe it. It never swelled up or anything but i still remember it after all these years.
As for Grylls, I've just read his autobiog ('Mud Blood and Tears') in an attempt to figger him out but he's got me beat!
Somebody asked him on TV once "Can anybody do daredevil stuff same as you?" to which he replied "Yeah if they're messed up".
He certainly seems hyper and semi-neurotic at times, but he's 38 now so hopefully he'll slow down before he has a nervous breakdown or gets himself killed and leaves his wife and 3 kids behind.
He's been rolling the dice for years and has been lucky so far..

PS- I like chuckling at his shows though for their sheer entertainment value as he runs around (never walks) for maximum dramatic effect as if he's being chased by unseen demons. At least he shows us that nature is nothing to be scared of and can be overcome by sheer brute force..Smile
29 October 2012, 16:47,
He recovered from his broken and climbed everest, fair play
29 October 2012, 17:21,
(29 October 2012, 16:05)bigpaul Wrote: Bear Grylls is an arrogant arsehole and the LAST person i would want near me in a SHTF situation....he'll get everyone around him injured or killed in very quick time...he takes too many chances.

is he ex sas ?
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
29 October 2012, 17:23,
Been told he is, not certain. Carnt have been with them for long.
29 October 2012, 17:41,
He is indeed ex SAS, but not the hardcore 22nd full-timer guys. He's either 21st or 23rd SAS (both of which are reserves).

His autobiography has references on the cover from SAS top brass, so he's not making it up. And he had the regimental flag with him on the summit of Everest.

I'm not defending him because he's from Northern Ireland!!! I think he's a bit of a prat too!
29 October 2012, 17:50,
(29 October 2012, 15:53)Navigator Wrote: PS- has anybody here been stung?

Dodgy Every time I fill up at the petrol station... Undecided Angry
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
29 October 2012, 18:03,
Grylls joined the Reserve SAS and served for a couple of years with them, but he failed Selection the first time and had to have a second try a few months later which he passed.
About half the book dealt with the Selection process,(mostly long hikes and route marches in the Brecon Beacons) which is just as brutal as the regular non-reserve Selection and it made me tired just reading it!
Grylls-
[Image: grylls-sas.jpg]

PS- interestingly, at least 3 ex-SAS men have killed themselves over the years after leaving the regiment which is a lesson to us all, namely that physical toughness is one thing, and having the right mindset to cope with lifes ups and downs is quite another.
29 October 2012, 18:09,
Civvy Street has also claimed a few of my old buddies.
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
29 October 2012, 18:24,
well he gets my vote any one who get through selection for the regiment shit they put them through it
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
29 October 2012, 18:33,
Met a guy who failed reserves, couldnt keep on going when they set dogs after him, different kettle of fish them lot.