Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radioactive Fallout
30 October 2012, 23:52,
RE: Radioactive Fallout
An underground bunker is the ultimate nuclear survival choice but we can't all afford one so we have to adapt and what tarrel is suggesting is going to be good enough for all of us not living at ground zero.

Sure we can buy 2K filters but we can make our own. I wouldn't trust just letting dust settle to be your filtyer though. When you come to leave you would dislodge it or someone coming in from outside could raise the dust as well. Need to think it through and consider what you will need to do to decontaminate when you come out.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
31 October 2012, 01:28, (This post was last modified: 31 October 2012, 01:35 by cryingfreeman.)
Great thread. My forthcoming e-book: "Surviving a Nuclear War in the UK" is covering this. At present I'm bogged down in research, reading multiple books on the subject at once and sacrificing work time as well, which I feel a bit guilty about.

Anyway, @ Tarrel: Don't forget the primary nuclear targets on St Kilda & Benbecula ~ see this snippet from my e-book:

http://tcpd.co.uk/uk2012-v1.htm

Primary targets in red, secondary in blue.

And for the record, the risk of a nuclear war is now considerably higher than during the Cold War... And that's just from mainstream, non-conspiratorial researchers.
Another great book is "The Secure Home" by Joel Skousen.
31 October 2012, 09:10,
I thought you were supposed to leave windows open, so they don't break in the initial blast, then close them ASAP.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
31 October 2012, 10:00,
(31 October 2012, 09:10)Tibbs735 Wrote: I thought you were supposed to leave windows open, so they don't break in the initial blast, then close them ASAP.

That is if you know a nuclear stike is coming, most people tend to apply the open window or door to stop the UNDER Pressure affect destroying houses during a hurricane.

31 October 2012, 15:01,
(30 October 2012, 23:52)Skean Dhude Wrote: An underground bunker is the ultimate nuclear survival choice but we can't all afford one so we have to adapt and what tarrel is suggesting is going to be good enough for all of us not living at ground zero.

Sure we can buy 2K filters but we can make our own. I wouldn't trust just letting dust settle to be your filtyer though. When you come to leave you would dislodge it or someone coming in from outside could raise the dust as well. Need to think it through and consider what you will need to do to decontaminate when you come out.

On the subject of a bunker ive been considering that when i move house digging out a small celler/bunker/storage space a bit of hard work but worth it i think also been thinking that i will have to make/strenthen the walls as i dig down any construction experts out there ? that could advise on wall strenthening ?
31 October 2012, 15:13,
(31 October 2012, 15:01)David075 Wrote:
(30 October 2012, 23:52)Skean Dhude Wrote: An underground bunker is the ultimate nuclear survival choice but we can't all afford one so we have to adapt and what tarrel is suggesting is going to be good enough for all of us not living at ground zero.

On the subject of a bunker ive been considering that when i move house digging out a small celler/bunker/storage space a bit of hard work but worth it i think also been thinking that i will have to make/strenthen the walls as i dig down any construction experts out there ? that could advise on wall strenthening ?

One easier less labour intensive option, but maybe more expensive is to buy one of those large plastic cess pit system tanks used by people not connected to the mains sewage system. they come naturally fully reenforced for burying, and of course fully water proof and many can offer up to 12 ft by 6 ft by 7 ft in useful spaces. twas all the range in the 80s among many survivalists. I knew a chap near Whiby who put a big green one in his garden ( told his neighbours it was to replace the old cess pit) then he put a shed over the top of it to provide concealled access.

1 November 2012, 19:33,
sounds good worth thinking about.
1 November 2012, 20:47,
Sorted... everything is now working as it should. Smile
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
1 November 2012, 23:57,
Would it be possible to link 2 tanks together, underground?
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
2 November 2012, 10:10,
2, 3, 4 as many as your checkbook can stand you just apparently use available adaptors from modular tanks, or the 30 inch plastic storm gully pipes and plastic weld them into place.