Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caravans as BOLs / retreats
1 November 2012, 15:56,
RE: Caravans as BOLs / retreats
(1 November 2012, 10:46)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(1 November 2012, 00:43)Sichr20 Wrote: I fancied the idea of a caravan or mobile, sticking it in the corner of an old barn and building a wall of hay around it. Would be lovely and warm, but the security risk is far to great if you settle it into one place

Thats what we originally had, A Compass Shadow 2 berth only 9ft 9 long and we got cosy with a farmer who owned a caravan park that was struggling, when he asked us what spot we wanted I asked him if we could simply site it behind his dutch barn out of sight and sound of everything else. He was happy to take my money and not lose a caravan parking spot.
Guys I understand the limitations involved with using a caravan, but lets be honest solid timber cabins and shipping containers get broken into and gutted all the time. I think its a case of putting as much effort into siting your shelter as it is on fitting it out.

One of the best I was told about was a converted box trailer that originally was used to move horseys about with, chap did it out as a mini retreat and kept in in a layby up n northern Scotland.
you could always dig a sort of cellar first before you put the caravan over the top, nothing fancy just something like a concrete hole maybe 6foot long by 4 foot wide by 6 foot deep if the ground allows.
With a small hatch for access below the caravan floor somewhere concealed so if it gets broken into nobody's any the wiser as it looks like a concrete pitch for the caravan. Bit like the old ira gun hidy holes in the woods.

I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...