Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUK HT PROGRAMMING PROTOCOL (proposal)
23 November 2012, 09:20,
RE: SUK HT PROGRAMMING PROTOCOL (proposal)
(22 November 2012, 22:39)Mandlaka Wrote:
(22 November 2012, 21:28)Lightspeed Wrote:
(22 November 2012, 18:41)gary5wift Wrote: hi Mandlaka

My radio is a UV-5R+ but they come with different versions of the firmware dependent upon how new it is and where it is sourced from. The only way to tell which version you have is to hold down button 3 whilst turning on the radio - this will then display the firmware version number in the display.

Thanks gary,

Or up front of purchase some e-bay retailers show / declare the software version of the radios that they sell. This allows you to choose the version you require.

Excellent.
I will recce with you experts before making the purchase.

I am thinking of getting 2 units so as to have a backup that will never be available once the SHTF. Or should I get 3?

Hi Mandlaka

Getting multiple units is a good idea. Duplication and standardisation are he way to plan.

Remember that for your very local needs PMR446 radios will be networkable with the UV5rs so are a very low cost way of keeping in touch. ( by local I mean 1/2 mile or so.

Also consider how you are going to keep your radios charged in a grid down situation? The UV5Rs have very good stand by time but will need recharging eventually. How will you recharge them?

I'm using a combination of UV5r and UV3r tyope devices, mainly because the UV3Rs are lower power consumption and I have many options to charge them from solar to hand powered dynamos. They are more complex to use than the UV5R, but use of the programming protocol considerably resolves this.

Think through how you intend to use the radios and how you will keep them powered and make decisions based on this.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

Messages In This Thread
RE: SUK HT PROGRAMMING PROTOCOL (proposal) - by Paul - 6 November 2012, 17:50
RE: SUK HT PROGRAMMING PROTOCOL (proposal) - by Paul - 7 November 2012, 00:22
RE: SUK HT PROGRAMMING PROTOCOL (proposal) - by Paul - 15 November 2012, 21:49
RE: SUK HT PROGRAMMING PROTOCOL (proposal) - by Paul - 15 November 2012, 22:49
RE: SUK HT PROGRAMMING PROTOCOL (proposal) - by Paul - 17 November 2012, 15:21
RE: SUK HT PROGRAMMING PROTOCOL (proposal) - by Lightspeed - 23 November 2012, 09:20