Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you accept aid
13 November 2012, 19:51,
RE: Would you accept aid
Good thinking for this 1.

I would take the food & fuel & tell them I am happy at home (familiar surroundings for kids etc..). I would add it to what I had stored & it would give me excess to give away if I saw someone genuinely starving if it was just a temporary event. If there was no telling how long it will last, ill keep the lot for me & my extended family.
13 November 2012, 21:32,
10 replies so far.

Only one uncertainty and that's our friend Scythe.
Nothing wrong with what you said there pal, a caring person would see your stance as honorable and moral.

The question however was not a morality issue, I was just hoping to divert every ones thinking a bit.

It was a purely survival question because morals will get you and your own killed.

Thinking purely grey man persona (which has become almost a mantra among the prepping and survivalist world) telling someone handing out supplies that you have enough, on a special diet, it's Lent, or some other reason NOT to take supplies has just drawn attention to themselves.

On the other hand, demanding more, pleading openly because of a special need, raving about inequality, in the open, loudly, just goes to reinforce your sheeple persona. Thus you become one of many not a man apart.

It's much like helping others with supplies or taking a waif or stray in. You help, you obviously have an excess.
The other more worrying interpretation of your actions is that you come across as weak.
Compassion in an urban environment especially inner cities is often taken as weakness just as saying sorry is, politeness, and kindness.

If you are seen to be acting morally and compassionately by the wrong person or someone repeats what they saw in the wrong place, you become the local 7-11 to be raided, looted, or invaded.

Thus being an out and out bastard in a survival situation is probably the best persona of all.

13 November 2012, 21:59,
"Refuse nothing but blows" my Gran used to say.

Yeah, I would take it.
Dodgy If you always have, on your person, at least 2 ways to make fire, you might be a prepper. Tongue
13 November 2012, 22:06,
I would take it
13 November 2012, 22:38,
(13 November 2012, 21:59)BrixhamBadger Wrote: "Refuse nothing but blows" my Gran used to say.

Yeah, I would take it.

your gran was wise my friend ,yes would take as much as i could get in a shtf
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
13 November 2012, 23:10,
It's not a moral question at all. I would take it. I've paid for it and for others who have not. I'm entitled to it more than most who will have their hands out.

As well as keeping into the grey man principle as a bonus.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
14 November 2012, 10:30,
Looking at it in the way of Grey Man Principles (GMP) I would have to take it. I think, I'd probably take it under the premise that it would be given away to a more needy person/family (that we knew well).

If it didn't effect our stores, I don't think that I, or the wife, would be able to accept it and use the parcel/food/water/fuel. That would simply be a moral issue for both of us. Having said that, if there were others we were looking after, friends or family in with us (very unlikely friends or family, but maybe team members...much more likely!) The team members would have first digs, second, and third, on the parcel. It would be to help them.

In that situation, we'd say there were 2 families here, and then give both lots of aid to the other people with us.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
14 November 2012, 11:04,
take it but stay at home , the thing is if you don't take it they will know you have supplies
14 November 2012, 17:12,
I'd take it to blend in and then if I felt I could pass it on in dribs and drabs so as not to look like I had extras.
14 November 2012, 20:25,
Survival is more than just having enough supplies, its also being able to blend into the background and not do anything to stand out from the crowd.
So, you do what everyone else is doing, you do what people would expect you to do,.. you except the `gifts` and be thankfull,... not because you now have more, but that you didnt make ripples,... you survived another day without people becoming `interested` in you
A major part of survival is invisibility.