Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mods for a Series 3 2.25 petrol Landy
21 November 2012, 23:42,
RE: Mods for a Series 3 2.25 petrol Landy
What make and model?
22 November 2012, 11:51,
(21 November 2012, 23:42)BDG Wrote: What make and model?

For the MIG?

It's a Wolf MIG 140

Looks alright, I think??
22 November 2012, 12:42,
I used to have one that was no gas before the conversion kit came along for them. It was OK for a no gas welder, not the most user friendly bit of kit, had to take the torch apart every time I put new wire in it. Before buying it I would check you can get kit to run it from a full sized bottle, the stuff that comes with it is just for small bottles and these do not last long at all.

With a bit of practice it should do for steel body work and it should do landy chassis if you prep your welds good and take your time.

I would not use the mask that comes with it, waste of time, get one you do not have to hold with an auto darkening lens.
22 November 2012, 12:45,
Cheers.

Not tried my hand at welding yet, so I'll have to get some steel drums to practice on!

(22 November 2012, 12:42)BDG Wrote: I used to have one that was no gas before the conversion kit came along for them. It was OK for a no gas welder, not the most user friendly bit of kit, had to take the torch apart every time I put new wire in it. Before buying it I would check you can get kit to run it from a full sized bottle, the stuff that comes with it is just for small bottles and these do not last long at all.

With a bit of practice it should do for steel body work and it should do landy chassis if you prep your welds good and take your time.

I would not use the mask that comes with it, waste of time, get one you do not have to hold with an auto darkening lens.

22 November 2012, 19:41,
Learn on stuff 2.5-3mm thick, if you have not welded before, learning with that kit you will just blow holes in thin stuff and the welder will end up in the corner.

You may also want to have a look for a second hand Clarke - it will be more refined, user friendly, last longer, parts be easier to get and be a more serviceable machine.
23 November 2012, 10:43,
(20 November 2012, 16:36)BeardyMan Wrote: I'm sorely tempted to drop a 200TDI engine in there. 18mpg with the petrol engine in there!

Not sure I can get a body lift without changing the springs. Although spotted some parabolic ones that would fit nicely and improve the ride. I think brakes are the first thing on the list, along with a new pickup top.

No experience with SIII petrpl models but have had several Diesels.

If fitting a 200TDi / 300TDi you may need a new gearbox to get usable ratios. Even the original fit gearbox on the Diesel models is short legged and benefits from an overdrive unit if you can find one.

I also found that Free Wheel Hubs on the front made a good fuel economy improvement... you jsut have to remember to engage them once per month to keep the frot drive train lubed.

I second the idea of a PTO, especially with a matching winch unit.

Hand cranking the original diesel is all but impossible....smashed knuckles, broken wrists, and damaged backs all possible if using wrong technique.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580