Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Social Isolation"
22 November 2012, 21:04,
RE: "Social Isolation"
Tribe of One:The Loners' Manifesto by Anneli Rufus.Excellent book.I live in 100% social isolation.I like people from afar.Feel that I know many of you intimately.If I'd been born in Canada's far North,I wouldn't have had to endure 48 yrs and counting of modern Britain.
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.
22 November 2012, 21:56,
I love hanging out with people, having a laugh, meeting new people, building common bonds, chilling with mates...etc. I love city life, the hustle and bustle of the crowd, busy streets, and all that.

Having said that, I love the silence (and noise) of nature. I've been camping alone more than with others. Neither alone nor with others if favourable over the other option.

For me, if you can't cope alone, you have social/isolational issues. If you can't cope with others (friends/family/strangers/etc) then you also have social/isolational issues.

We need to be versatile.

I would be sad if I never spoke to another person. However, I would also be sad if I knew I never had the option to get away from it all and enjoy some alone time.

The gym is my sanctuary of alone time. Put in headphones (whether connected to iPod or not) and I get alone time in the gym. But then go back to my wife and enjoy her company and that of our friends.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
22 November 2012, 22:43,
I love to go camping,.. the wife doesnt,..so I will often go with my three german Shepherds,.. we do have a favourite spot, it takes about a hlf hour drive along a very old forrestry track to get to a remote glen,m called the `Black Glen`,.. no-one ever goes there, I can watch deer from the open tent as I settle down for the night, the dogs know not to chase,...and get woken by the screech of Buzzard and Eagle

The video shows the Glen at the track end,.. from this point on there is nothing and no-one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubSTaq8Pl...ature=plcp
A major part of survival is invisibility.
23 November 2012, 10:36, (This post was last modified: 23 November 2012, 10:43 by bigpaul.)
(22 November 2012, 22:43)Highlander Wrote: I love to go camping,.. the wife doesnt,..so I will often go with my three german Shepherds,.. we do have a favourite spot, it takes about a hlf hour drive along a very old forrestry track to get to a remote glen,m called the `Black Glen`,.. no-one ever goes there, I can watch deer from the open tent as I settle down for the night, the dogs know not to chase,...and get woken by the screech of Buzzard and Eagle

The video shows the Glen at the track end,.. from this point on there is nothing and no-one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubSTaq8Pl...ature=plcp

nice countryside H! my kind of place, pity its so far north !Big Grin
(22 November 2012, 21:04)ObongoPox Wrote: Tribe of One:The Loners' Manifesto by Anneli Rufus.Excellent book.

any idea where i can get this book? tried all the usual places but no joy!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 November 2012, 13:06,
Hi BP.If it's not available on Amazon,your best bet could be an inter-library loan.If you also enjoy 'loner' fiction, try the following:Julius Winsome by Gerard Donovan;Child of God by Cormac McCarthy(author of The Road);Pollard by Laura Beatty.Best of luck!
23 November 2012, 14:34,
thanks, i found it eventually on amazon, its PARTY of one-thats why i couldnt find it...ordered it now.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 November 2012, 15:15,
I even looked up
correct title prior to posting reply,but got distracted and there you go...you won't be disappointed you ordered it,though.
Quite validating of who we are,in an extrovert society that tries to tell us otherwise.
23 November 2012, 15:27,
thanksBig Grin