Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Traps
1 December 2012, 12:05,
RE: Traps
(30 November 2012, 22:55)Wildman Wrote: a less lethal trap could be a blank firing simi like an uzi or mac 10 in a tree off in the distance with a long range pully assisted trip system running through berried plastick plunbing tubing maybe. so the trap is tripped and in the distance there's rappid fire and maybe some rigged bangers on top? would scare the hell out of me lol

No disrespect mate but these are the sort of things that should stay in the movies, firstly you'll soon scare off any potential prey as once a deer has tripped your Uzi banger it's not on a be back for a long long time. Chances are you'll not remember where every trap is once you've got a bit malnourished and could end up setting off your own Rambo traps. Then your malnourished, injured or partially deaf and anyone nearby will come to find what's happened and either end up injured and unable to help you or walk right in and take your stuff and leave you for dead.

This is why I believe small groups or communities are the way to go as there is safety in numbers. It's all well setting these traps but could you live with finding a child caught up in one? I know I couldn't and I doubt most could traps are for food weapons are for defence.

Im not having a dig if that's the way you think you need to survive good luck, I wish you all the best.
1 December 2012, 12:16,
the trouble with traps is you've got too remember where you put them, and so does every member of your group, if you mark them so you know where they are other people including raiders can see them too and so avoid them. i prefer the total isolation, being quiet and obtrusive type of set up.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 December 2012, 19:28,
(1 December 2012, 12:05)UncleFester Wrote:
(30 November 2012, 22:55)Wildman Wrote: a less lethal trap could be a blank firing simi like an uzi or mac 10 in a tree off in the distance with a long range pully assisted trip system running through berried plastick plunbing tubing maybe. so the trap is tripped and in the distance there's rappid fire and maybe some rigged bangers on top? would scare the hell out of me lol

No disrespect mate but these are the sort of things that should stay in the movies, firstly you'll soon scare off any potential prey as once a deer has tripped your Uzi banger it's not on a be back for a long long time. Chances are you'll not remember where every trap is once you've got a bit malnourished and could end up setting off your own Rambo traps. Then your malnourished, injured or partially deaf and anyone nearby will come to find what's happened and either end up injured and unable to help you or walk right in and take your stuff and leave you for dead.

This is why I believe small groups or communities are the way to go as there is safety in numbers. It's all well setting these traps but could you live with finding a child caught up in one? I know I couldn't and I doubt most could traps are for food weapons are for defence.

Im not having a dig if that's the way you think you need to survive good luck, I wish you all the best.

to right UN, totaly agreed. in most situations simply guarding is enough. but in light of some one needing ideas of how traps work and or can be made from, i fired off a few ideas into the arena to give others something to go on. the thing to remember is as you said is if what i would call a sivi falls into your set trap then you risk all! i stress that even though alot of the info and ideas i post can be lethal and or fatal. NO ONE, should attempt any unless tshtf and they feel that their or their familys lifes are at risk.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
1 December 2012, 20:27,
(1 December 2012, 19:28)Wildman Wrote:
(1 December 2012, 12:05)UncleFester Wrote:

to right UN, totaly agreed. in most situations simply guarding is enough. but in light of some one needing ideas of how traps work and or can be made from, i fired off a few ideas into the arena to give others something to go on. the thing to remember is as you said is if what i would call a sivi falls into your set trap then you risk all! i stress that even though alot of the info and ideas i post can be lethal and or fatal. NO ONE, should attempt any unless tshtf and they feel that their or their familys lifes are at risk.

It's just different schools of thinking mate if i knew it was coming id set traps but its too risky to permanently leave them set.

if you want any ideas though there is a book called 'man trapping' by Ragnar benson I've got one called 'survival trapping' by him which is a great book so I'm sure 'man trapping' won't disappoint.
2 December 2012, 12:53,
Ragner wrote some good books but some that were not so good.man trapping is another that is bias towards the US.

However, everything has some good bits and as usual I recommend read, consider for your situation and prepare.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 December 2012, 17:57,
(2 December 2012, 12:53)Skean Dhude Wrote: Ragner wrote some good books but some that were not so good.man trapping is another that is bias towards the US.

However, everything has some good bits and as usual I recommend read, consider for your situation and prepare.

Survival trappings more USA orientated, I got it as I was just getting into snaring/trapping and wanted to find a book which had detailed illustrations of triggers. Good read though as you say.
2 December 2012, 18:07,
Having strong, defensible boundaries on you land will always be a good idea (Fences, hawthorn hedges etc), but until know of a definite threat, I wouldn't put in active traps, but passive obstacles, like large rocks, dips and obscured obstacles in hedges to stop vehicles etc, as well as making it easy to defend, but hard to approach.
If I knew people we coming, like a raiding party some time after SHTF, only then would I consider the Viet cong stuff
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
2 December 2012, 18:30,
(2 December 2012, 18:07)Tibbs735 Wrote: Having strong, defensible boundaries on you land will always be a good idea (Fences, hawthorn hedges etc), but until know of a definite threat, I wouldn't put in active traps, but passive obstacles, like large rocks, dips and obscured obstacles in hedges to stop vehicles etc, as well as making it easy to defend, but hard to approach.
If I knew people we coming, like a raiding party some time after SHTF, only then would I consider the Viet cong stuff

thats the reason i'm posting, if there anyone out there who feels they must make a target of them selfs then its their foot in a trap u might say. but the question was shtf and you need to protect your goods,farm/family. in this situation its fight or flight. there ist to many traps in this instance whitch arent made to hurt,kill,threaten,frighten,intimidate the nme. theres no middle ground, its eiter fight or flight. my self, i feel that one man guarding at night and another in the day with a 243-or high powered crossbow is enough. the only other traps i would set would be alarm traps on the boarders, i would incourage birds to live on my land coz their the best early warning signal, and a couple of jerry cans filled with petrol with co2 gas capsules, jars of screws,steel bb's ect tapped to the out side and placed at shootable intervals in the distance.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
2 December 2012, 19:01,
Wildman,

Have you tried shooting those containers. Unlike the movies they don't explode. You need something else to trigger them. I've tried tracers but they didn't work either. Project stalled but awaiting some ideas.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 December 2012, 19:30,
(2 December 2012, 19:01)Skean Dhude Wrote: Wildman,

Have you tried shooting those containers. Unlike the movies they don't explode. You need something else to trigger them. I've tried tracers but they didn't work either. Project stalled but awaiting some ideas.

oops, lol. no i havent tried shooting one. just some ideas. erm........what if you turned one on its side, poored glue and then dropped loads of fire steel shavings in a centre target? if it was a full metal jacket it might do the job. hey if u come up with anything give us a shout and i'll do the same.