Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More gales and rain
23 November 2012, 18:00,
RE: More gales and rain
we stay in, batten down the hatches and wait for it to pass, no need to go out in it...got our food stores, right?Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 November 2012, 18:03,
I must admit that rain doesnt usualy bother us,.. the west coast of the Scotland Highlands is suposed to be the wettest place in the country, the difference is that most houses have been built in areas that are clear of areas that flood.

Down south it seems that more and more houses are being built on flood plains,...or areas that have been reclaimed from such areas

Of course there are others that now flood, that never flooded before,... but its often to do with something that happening further down stream

....anyway, what ever the reason, I hope all you guys that are effected will be ok
A major part of survival is invisibility.
24 November 2012, 20:25,
I noted a couple of interesting observations about the flooding in the south west hich makes me think we need to look deeper into the risk of flooding in the future.

First was a Land lady on the news, she said her pub had been flooded twice this year and looked like it was going to get hit again tonight, her main point was that the pub was 150 years old and had only ever been flooded once before.

Next was on a railway forum twitter thingy , the sender commented that there was a siding in the west country that was normally used to store permenant way equippment used to repair damaged trackbeds, for the first time in its 180 year history this part of the trach had itself been partially flooded, not enough to damage it but enough to cover the top of the tracks.

Another snippet was the road surface was being lifted by water in many areas and it was going to cost an absolute fortune the authorities did not have to do the repairs with.

If we do see warmer seas cos of climate change, those warmer seas are going to begat even more heavy rain storms, then more flooding so I think those of us who can or perhaps see a risk to themselves ought to be considering adding more water proof large containers to their preps to keep vital property protected should they get unlucky.

24 November 2012, 21:26,
I remember about ten years ago, an American claimed that Scotland, [ amonst other places ] would become much wetter and warmer, within just a few years... I remember it caused a laugh at the time,... people are not laughing quiet as loud these days
24 November 2012, 21:38,
Yeah I remember an article in that famous Sunday paper that used to be around the one with Ooor Wullie in it,I think it was that paper anyway ! This chap commented that in the 60s someone had said that the north western part of upper scotland could never sustain the fancy flora and fauna found growing in parts of Dumfries and Galloway such as certain palms and dates and fancy grasses, and now sheltered places right up the west coast of Scotland were now able to grow them in a least a limited fashion.

24 November 2012, 22:06,
Thats sounds like the artical,... hell you should visit Plockton, just up the road, they have more palm trees than Dubai
25 November 2012, 16:22,
more storms: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20470728
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.