Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
after all the rain now comes the snow!
27 November 2012, 21:13,
RE: after all the rain now comes the snow!
sounds like the touriest season...lol
A major part of survival is invisibility.
27 November 2012, 21:21,
The closest I have come to murder is on the A9.
27 November 2012, 21:22,
Anglo saxon, argh the old four lettered word that starts with c and ends with t.
Me mams finds Cee You Next Tuesday amuzing.
27 November 2012, 21:24,
Used to get those bloody idiots in the new forest, used to stop in the middle of the road and take photos of the horses, caused a fair few accidents including me coming off my motorbike.
True heroes don't wear football shirts, they wear dog tags.
27 November 2012, 21:47,
Once and sadly only once the Procurator Fiscal in Dornach convicted a tourist for dangerous driving because he drove in the middle of the road, would not allow overtaking and was "admiring the view" *****************. We once reported a fairground convoy the A9 because they wouldn't allow overtaking and people were starting to overtake 4-10 vehicles at a time to try and get around them. At the time notices had just gone up on the A9 which stated "Frustration causes accidents please allow overtaking". We got a visit from a PC essentially to say that if we persisted in wasting police time we would be prosecuted. When I quoted the signs on the A9 I was given the kind of threat I don't hope to hear again.
27 November 2012, 22:29, (This post was last modified: 27 November 2012, 22:30 by Tarrel.)
Generally, people up here are respectful of the "allow overtaking" advice, especially commercial and agricultural drivers. It's the tourists that cause the problem.

We were on one of our local single track roads last summer. Met a car coming the other way. They had just passed a passing place but the driver couldn't, or wouldn't back up (I think maybe "couldn't"). So, we reversed, at least a quarter mile, to the last passing place behind us. My wife was driving. As we started backwards, I said to her; "You watch. I bet they come right up to our bumper and hassle us as we back up". Sure enough, that's exactly what they did! I'm convinced they were visitors. There's no way a local would force anyone to do that, and be so belligerent about it.

Nothing against tourists. They're an important part of the economy. So long as they behave themselves!
p.s It's bl**dy freezing up here tonight!
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
28 November 2012, 09:29,
(27 November 2012, 22:29)Tarrel Wrote: Met a car coming the other way. They had just passed a passing place but the driver couldn't, or wouldn't back up (I think maybe "couldn't"). So, we reversed, at least a quarter mile, to the last passing place behind us. My wife was driving. As we started backwards, I said to her; "You watch. I bet they come right up to our bumper and hassle us as we back up". Sure enough, that's exactly what they did!

Yup have met plenty of them, that's when I dream of a Boudicca style car where knives shoot out of my wheels as they pass! I had to reverse quite a long way along the edge of Loch Shin, a windy road, in the dark in a full Galaxy so that a tiny hatch back who had just passed a passing space could have a full width of road to pass with a nice safe couple of feet on either side of him. When I finally got to and stopped in the passing place he wound his window down to tell me I should have stopped there in the first place and waited for him to pass. Needless to say his accent was not local and fortunately I was struck dumb with shock!

28 November 2012, 17:11,
Quote:that's when I dream of a Boudicca style car where knives shoot out of my wheels as they pass

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.