Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rabbiting
29 November 2012, 16:48,
RE: Rabbiting
(29 November 2012, 10:57)Pagan-Mist Wrote: Ferret and nets and a jack russell for any that manage to get away just mind out both bite and don't get a pole cat unless your going to handle him everyday evil little buggers at best.

I used to have ferrets but I see it as yet more mouths to fed these days, I still keep my purse nets just incase. Long netting is fun and very rewarding.Rolleyes
29 November 2012, 17:27,
I have all three types of air rifle co2, pcp and springer, if you are serious about shooting rabbits for the table, I would not bother with the co2 not consistant and effected by the weather too much, If you are on a budget I would go for a good solid springer such as a whierach or similar work for ever and a day if you look after them, if you have got the dosh and you want to fill your freezer with bunnies a pcp is what you need, but you will also need an air tank and guage to fill it from unless your happy to have a fitness workout hand pumping the thing.
22 or 177 upto you, shooting forums are full of arguments of which is the best, don't realy matter as long as it does the job.
29 November 2012, 17:30,
hand pumps are good and a workout get a good four stage pump s13
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
29 November 2012, 19:43,
There is some good information on this thread,..so although it isnt my thread, I thank all,...its helping me
A major part of survival is invisibility.
29 November 2012, 22:25,
Snaring is the way to go if don't want to worry about running out pellets, bullets or your springs breaking or having to pump up your pcp. Just set them check them regularly and enjoy some bunny!
30 November 2012, 10:25,
Can't believe I'm having to sneak read this thread. This is my first secret from the wife. First and only....other than when I start popping off bunnies!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
30 November 2012, 13:27,
(29 November 2012, 22:25)UncleFester Wrote: Snaring is the way to go if don't want to worry about running out pellets, bullets or your springs breaking or having to pump up your pcp. Just set them check them regularly and enjoy some bunny!

This is the way I'm intending to go, just bought a load of gear from Fourteenacre to make my own snares, I havn't got the free time to go shooting these days so hoping to try my hand with the snares.
30 November 2012, 13:42,
Snares do have the advantage of being infinitely reusable and don't need you to be present all the time but you do have to check them regularly to prevent unnecessary suffering and also to prevent other predators (foxes, dogs etc) taking your catch.

Cheers
G5
73 de
OSR

The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government ~ Thomas Paine
30 November 2012, 14:39,
Thats the problem around her,.. there are too many other beasts that would take my catch,.. the main culprits would be either Fox, Pin martin, or even Wildcat.

I must look at traps that take the prey into the air
A major part of survival is invisibility.
30 November 2012, 15:09,
when funds allow I'll be looking into both trapping and an air rifle for bunnies

at least that way I've got options if no time for hunting if SHTF happens

the air rifle will be the biggest expense but I'm interested in joining one of the local clubs around here