Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
So What does Your Other Half Think?
29 November 2012, 16:26,
RE: So What does Your Other Half Think?
My OH is awesome!

She loves going out in the woods, hanging upside down on a rock face, riding through the country....dragging me along, running miles, going to the gym, learning bushcraft skills, and as we're looking for a house together, if I say "No good for storage" she knows what I mean and that will cancel the house straight off our list!

She does think I'm a bit intense with the amount of time I spend on the forum. Also, laughs at some of the situations and their effect on the human body (look at her, all high and mighty with her degree, a first, in human biology and nutrition, acting like she knows what happens.....which I think she probably does).

But she's cool with prepping, as long as I'm not living in a fantasy future, and am able to keep hold of reality.

Having said that, she has capped my expenditure on preps (tins etc). But that's able to be circumnavigated by using stealth ninja shopping....going shopping when she's not around!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
29 November 2012, 16:41,
(29 November 2012, 16:26)Scythe13 Wrote: My OH is awesome!

She loves going out in the woods, hanging upside down on a rock face, riding through the country....dragging me along, running miles, going to the gym, learning bushcraft skills, and as we're looking for a house together, if I say "No good for storage" she knows what I mean and that will cancel the house straight off our list!

She does think I'm a bit intense with the amount of time I spend on the forum. Also, laughs at some of the situations and their effect on the human body (look at her, all high and mighty with her degree, a first, in human biology and nutrition, acting like she knows what happens.....which I think she probably does).

But she's cool with prepping, as long as I'm not living in a fantasy future, and am able to keep hold of reality.

Having said that, she has capped my expenditure on preps (tins etc). But that's able to be circumnavigated by using stealth ninja shopping....going shopping when she's not around!

Hi Scythe13,
You mention health and I think that is very important too. The wife and I both shed two stone each by eating right and doing just basic exercise together. We have always had the ability to know what the other is thinking and that means that we waste very little time explaining ourselves. Good for you by the way, you sound like a 'kick ass' team.Wink

Generally I think that all these books on 'how to be a better person', 'understand your wife/husband' etc are a 'Crock of Doo Doo'!

Working together at prepping really brings you together and if it don't well maybe something needs to go because extra bagage isn't good...And I don't mean the dodgey wind up torch you got from Lidl!Wink
29 November 2012, 16:48, (This post was last modified: 29 November 2012, 16:50 by Scythe13.)
Haha, that's a very good point.

Well done, by the way, for losing the weight! Very impressed and it's such a great feeling being healthier and fitter (you'll find I rant about health as much as I do about capitalism).

One thing that really has helped, this winter, this flooding. Also, she thinks it makes me more interesting than most guys. So it actually keeps us closer. The fact that she is so understanding towards it is also an awesome thing for me. It means, if I go off and come back with a sneaky bunch of food, she's cool with it. I'll get told off (possibly) but she'll be really understanding after that.

We support each other in so many ways, and we have so much in common with sports, that even if she wasn't into prepping, she'd still book cool with me doing it.

When you find the right person, it's awesome. But if you don't have them, I think you should still treat the OH with respect and love.
I think BP and his wife are closer to the perfect team, though.

My wife is a vegi, and although I'm trying to be a vegi for a week (to see eating out from her view) I don't think it'll ever happen!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
29 November 2012, 16:58,
Veggie wow that's harsh...I eat only a small amount of meat but to give it up entirely I just don't think I could.

Yeah two stone by removing all highly processed food from our diets, plenty of greens, beans and pulses these days.Big Grin

My wife even helps me butcher up the deer carcasses, she is often asked my the girls at work 'What did you do at the weekend'? She replies 'Oh I skinned and cut up a Fallow Buck'...never fails to get a scream or two...Big Grin
29 November 2012, 17:41,
(29 November 2012, 16:48)Scythe13 Wrote: I think BP and his wife are closer to the perfect team, though.

My wife is a vegi, and although I'm trying to be a vegi for a week (to see eating out from her view) I don't think it'll ever happen!!!

i cant imagine us being vegi-we like our meat too much-we are definitely CARNIVORES! we've cut out the biscuits and the munchies, she's lost 2 stone, i've lost a stone and a half, my jeans are falling off me and my belt is done up to the last notch!Big Grin we do think alike though, she knows what i'm thinking even before i say itBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 November 2012, 18:38,
Well done Big Paul and Wife! For me and my wife losing weight was a fist raised moment, I was telling the system...sod off I won't be a sheep sat on my fat arse and believing the crap you pump through the TV, I won't eat your 'Soilent Green' poison anymore! Our health is very important, it's freedom and independance and we love it!Big Grin
29 November 2012, 19:16,
(29 November 2012, 18:38)SealDriver Wrote: Well done Big Paul and Wife! For me and my wife losing weight was a fist raised moment, I was telling the system...sod off I won't be a sheep sat on my fat arse and believing the crap you pump through the TV, I won't eat your 'Soilent Green' poison anymore! Our health is very important, it's freedom and independance and we love it!Big Grin

well, i'm never going to be "TinyPaul" thats for certain!Big Grin but i'm now down to 17 stone and if i can just get below that i'll be well pleased!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 November 2012, 19:25,
My OH is on board in terms of prepping for one of us being unemployed ...... she's been out of work recently and its not been easy but with my wage we've coped.

But if I'm out of work and she is working it will be more difficult due to me earning more than she does

Also I'm starting to come around to looking at prepping for something a lot more serious than being out of work and she's not really made any negative noises about it so all is good over here at I-K-E manor
29 November 2012, 19:28,
The wife is as much a prepper as I am, I think it would be difficult to be a prepper if both parties were not singing from the same hymn sheet,... we talk about what we want / need or can improve and if the funds runs to it then she is very good at putting money aside and we get it,... in fact she is talking about joining the forum...lol
A major part of survival is invisibility.
29 November 2012, 19:31, (This post was last modified: 29 November 2012, 19:34 by SealDriver.)
That would be good Highlander, if more women join we won't get nagged for being on here all the time. I think my wife will join to if she feels that plenty of ladies are involved.Rolleyes
I.K.E I'm totally with you on that! The more I get into prepping the more I think that its just common sense....Nothing may happen, but at least we will have a few extra things for when we retire and we may survive a little longer.Rolleyes