Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
dec 2012
6 November 2012, 23:56,
RE: dec 2012
SD pretty much answered what I was going to say.

The change of polarity is very unlikely to cause a change of axis. Also, a gravitational pull would only change the orientation of the planet. It wouldn't stop it spinning. Having said that, the 7 mile bulge is something I totally forgot about. But to be fair, that'll be sorted out quite normally.

The biggest danger would be the volcanos changing the atmospheric composition, or smothering light and thus life.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 November 2012, 00:14,
s13 please define (sorted out quite normally) i don,t get that, enlighten me
7 November 2012, 00:18,
(7 November 2012, 00:14)Straight Shooter Wrote: s13 please define (sorted out quite normally) i don,t get that, enlighten me

Sorted out quite normally - according to the rules of physics. Any change of motion would sort itself out, via the rules of physics. How that would effect us, I don't know exactly, but I'm assuming that would all depend on the angle of rotation, our position on that rotation, any changes of speed of orbit or rotation.
7 November 2012, 00:26,
yes thats what i am talking about change of motion.....the connetic energy of a moving liquid mass at a given speed
7 November 2012, 00:38,
So geology ignorant little me,
What's going to happen in terms of "Oh God we're all going to die by drowning / earthquakes / EMP / or other (please specify).

7 November 2012, 00:43,
all the above paul.... spect you feel much better now.......
7 November 2012, 00:59,
Drowning/major flooding (Katrina style), unlikely.
Earthquakes, the UK is pretty safe in regards to fault lines.
EMP, sure you'll survive, unless you're in a plane or have a pace maker.
Volcano, same as earthquakes, but the fallout could drop the global temperature and/or smother out the sun thus stopping photosynthesis and life.
Storms, very survivable.
Polar shift, very survivable.
7 November 2012, 01:21,
Yep, good job I stocked up on baked beans today.
No need to prepare for anything now at least till after Dec.
Then I'll be foraging like everyone else as everything will be broke.

7 November 2012, 09:14,
A magnetic shift will screw a lot of our electronics and navigation systems will be screwed until it settles down. Birds will get lost as they migrate, ships will crash and if the magnetic poles take decades to shift we will be unable to sort it out for a while, then someone willcomeup with a variable method. If it just snaps over, maybe a few years, then the chances are we could settle down quickly.

If you were working in a farmhouse in England and they shifted you wouldn't notice unless you used a compass to plough your fields.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
7 November 2012, 09:56,
SD Oh please half of British motorists get lost even now cos they misread maps and satnavs.