Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hmmm, possible?
6 December 2012, 10:07,
RE: Hmmm, possible?
Time of year, air temp, wind direction,wind strength, structure of initial structures, general structure of city, width of streets, hight of buildings, amount of wood n timber around, oil or gas heating fuel tanks, amount of vehicles feeding the fire.

Air temp not a vital componant
Wind Strength, wind Direction VERY important
Type of buildings at start of conflagration.

Without a fire survive on a dry day wth a decent breeze I reckon an entire borough could easily be incinerated provided the wind can create a fire storm hot enough to feed itself and for it to blow hot embers far enough to preheat the next street etc. Gasification is still a major issue as we saw in the Tottenham riots when those darling little labour voters torched that furnature shop, even though the wind was blowing the opposite direction that pair of terraces across the road burst into flame because the radiant heat from the furnature store heated the terraces up enough to cause gasification and spontanious ignition.

I'm thinking a decent conflagration fed by a breeze could easily see a huge chunk of a borough burnt, the more wind the greater the fire storm, the greater the vortex the bigger and faster the spread.

Can I point out two fings
(1) when a fire gets to a certain size it becomes self sustaining pulling in air for the outside to feed the fire storm, this drive up temperatures massively which in turn causes other structures to ignite often in an explosive manner.
(2) Of the 80,000 dead in the Dresden fire of WW2 most were suffocated as the air was consumed by the fire, thousands suffocated in cellars who were otherwise physically untouched, and along by the riverbank were survivors fled to in places bodies piled 5 high all dead from suffocation.