Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Universal Callsigns
8 December 2012, 17:48,
RE: Universal Callsigns
that works for me :-)
8 December 2012, 17:49,
(8 December 2012, 17:36)Shaysdad99 Wrote: you may not want to be NR but having a callsign for yourself wouldnt harm you , say if you and your group needed a medic or something at least people would know who you are and you would know who they are Smile

Not much point if I and my little group are not part of this over complicated system, and as BP points out my callsign from this group would be Northern Raider, as on the other network of preppers it is Raptor. Smile

8 December 2012, 18:14,
(8 December 2012, 17:49)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(8 December 2012, 17:36)Shaysdad99 Wrote: you may not want to be NR but having a callsign for yourself wouldnt harm you , say if you and your group needed a medic or something at least people would know who you are and you would know who they are Smile

Not much point if I and my little group are not part of this over complicated system, and as BP points out my callsign from this group would be Northern Raider, as on the other network of preppers it is Raptor. Smile

If you're signed up to more than one group/board you may have more than one user name and there in lies the complication AND your ID can be easily duplicated because there is nothing to stop me joining another group/board using a user name from this board.......

That's why you need a unique validation ID in the call sign that ONLY bona fide members of this group know.

How many users on the CB are called Slim Jim or big daddy; a shed-load I'll bet......

MA
8 December 2012, 18:16,
NR, Why do you assume the system is over complicated? Why don't you just wait and see what happens rather than making assumptions.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 December 2012, 19:02,
Got it!

Simplicity itself....

2 plastic cups and a bit of string and call signs will be cup 1 and cup two - simples! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
8 December 2012, 19:39, (This post was last modified: 8 December 2012, 19:46 by NorthernRaider.)
(8 December 2012, 18:16)Skean Dhude Wrote: NR, Why do you assume the system is over complicated? Why don't you just wait and see what happens rather than making assumptions.

I'm not assuming anything, I have read and re-read the 85 plus posts on various aspects of the proposals and for me at least plus a couple of others its simply grosssly over complicated, excessively technical and it still does not meet the very modest needs for my group.

I sure its a delight for other folks and radio hobbyists but it wont fit into my KISS priciples, basically it doesnt do what would need it to do and every response from the lads developing the system when i raise an issue is for them to complicate it even more.

For MY groups needs and i do understand others have different needs I have very simple criteria

AA battery powered
Multiple channels not frequencies
Licence free (now)
Ten mile radius even in inclemant weather
Scrambler option
Vehicle and home bases aerials available
Minimum 4 watts
BNC or similar antenna connection
No foul mouthed numpties already on the channels (IE not CB)

So for me technically theres no kit suitable, and the alternatives are over complicated, Then if we add the technobabble about programming, call signs etc it just kills it totally for me. but as I keep pointing out I'm sure it will be excellent for many others.
(8 December 2012, 18:14)MikeAlpha3041 Wrote:
(8 December 2012, 17:49)NorthernRaider Wrote:

If you're signed up to more than one group/board you may have more than one user name and there in lies the complication AND your ID can be easily duplicated because there is nothing to stop me joining another group/board using a user name from this board.......

That's why you need a unique validation ID in the call sign that ONLY bona fide members of this group know.

How many users on the CB are called Slim Jim or big daddy; a shed-load I'll bet......

MA

No No and NO and I cant be bothered to explain again, but I must point out this whole thread is turning into a load of grossly over complicated bollocks, We do not need stupid fancy call signs, county codes, validations , or any of the silly garbage, we need a simple reliable basic ONE radio, One Band range, CHANNEL not frequency AA powered radio that can do 10 miles in crap weather without repeaters. and the whole call sign thing is more science fiction and paranoia than common sense basic prepping.

AND how mant times do I have to say it, I and MY group will NOT be part of the system because basically its no practical use to us. So I dont NEED james bond validation or any other sillyness.

8 December 2012, 20:02,
Yea we get it NR, you don't want to be part of it...... no point in keep reading these threads and getting Angry about it, mate; just don't read them.

PS: "No foul mouthed numpties already on the channels" you'll find these on every frequency - even in military use, some people just can't help it.......

MA
8 December 2012, 20:15,
There is no fool proof way of getting your signal to the people you are looking for over many miles, [ hundreds in some cases ] there are a lot of things that might not be in place,... but a HF amature radio, is the one piece of kit that could do this,... not a mobile or a hand held though, they will need the repeaters, and like NR said they would not be up to the job without repeaters,.... but a set with a base antenna would do it

.....all you need is your user name after contact to know you are talking to a forum member
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 December 2012, 20:40,
For sure, you need to know the inherent characteristics of HF, VHF, UHF etc. bands to make the most of the communications available to you. BUT in a world SHTF situation and you need help in a do or die situation are you going to stick to the "license free" comms? I don't think so..... you will use whatever you have available.

IF, for the sake of argument, I was at home and my PRC-320 (covers both transmit and receive from 2 MHz through 29.9999 MHz) was available I would give a call on any HF international distress frequency that was open, I would not be requesting help on one of the "Ham" or "license free" frequencies. If I needed to talk to one of my group I'd be calling on a prearranged VHF/UHF frequency/channel regardless of if it was "license free" or not on my VHF/UHF gear - end of.....

What I'm saying is, you find a radio, you use it to get help - you are not going to be thinking Oh, hang on a minute, am I "licensed" to use this?

We you need urgent medical/survival help you need help, not when you pass some poxy test!

MA
8 December 2012, 21:00, (This post was last modified: 8 December 2012, 21:02 by NorthernRaider.)
(8 December 2012, 20:02)MikeAlpha3041 Wrote: Yea we get it NR, you don't want to be part of it...... no point in keep reading these threads and getting Angry about it, mate; just don't read them.

MA

Wrong again there is every point in reading these threads and trying to get a system that works, FYI I have been having this debate for over 12 years now on various forums trying like SD to get a simple basic reliable system that anyone can use without having to play James Bond or play silly buggers. This forum is for PREPPERS first and formost NOT radio hobbyists.
(8 December 2012, 20:15)Highlander Wrote: There is no fool proof way of getting your signal to the people you are looking for over many miles, [ hundreds in some cases ] there are a lot of things that might not be in place,... but a HF amature radio, is the one piece of kit that could do this,... not a mobile or a hand held though, they will need the repeaters, and like NR said they would not be up to the job without repeaters,.... but a set with a base antenna would do it

.....all you need is your user name after contact to know you are talking to a forum member

And if the prepper has don his preps properly he will have met and spoken to his opposite numbers in person and know what they sound like and have enough simple knowledge about ones opposite number to be able to work out if the caller is who he says to be, its that simple.