Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Universal Callsigns
8 December 2012, 21:07,
RE: Universal Callsigns
You really do have a blinkered view NR, typical of our generation I'm afraid...... SadSadSad
8 December 2012, 21:09, (This post was last modified: 8 December 2012, 21:10 by NorthernRaider.)
(8 December 2012, 20:40)MikeAlpha3041 Wrote: For sure, you need to know the inherent characteristics of HF, VHF, UHF etc. bands to make the most of the communications available to you. BUT in a world SHTF situation and you need help in a do or die situation are you going to stick to the "license free" comms? I don't think so..... you will use whatever you have available.

IF, for the sake of argument, I was at home and my PRC-320 (covers both transmit and receive from 2 MHz through 29.9999 MHz) was available I would give a call on any HF international distress frequency that was open, I would not be requesting help on one of the "Ham" or "license free" frequencies. If I needed to talk to one of my group I'd be calling on a prearranged VHF/UHF frequency/channel regardless of if it was "license free" or not on my VHF/UHF gear - end of.....

What I'm saying is, you find a radio, you use it to get help - you are not going to be thinking Oh, hang on a minute, am I "licensed" to use this?

We you need urgent medical/survival help you need help, not when you pass some poxy test!

MA

Oh bollocks, You need to have your radio system up and running NOW and be familiar with it NOW, and be using it regularily NOW so that its not some strange untested unprovern system AFTER TSHTF, and as alreay pointed out the only current viable system that comes close to being suitable require you to be licened NOW

""What I'm saying is, you find a radio, you use it to get help - you are not going to be thinking Oh, hang on a minute, am I "licensed" to use this?""

How many ordinary every day preppers would know in advance how to set up and operate every possible type of radio,?? I put it that 99% of the country could not even set up a CB base station never mind set up tune in or SWR an antenna, search frequencies and bands of an Army rig or large Ham rig.

The prepper community needs a simple reliable, modest range radio system up and running NOW not after TSHTF.
(8 December 2012, 21:07)MikeAlpha3041 Wrote: You really do have a blinkered view NR, typical of our generation I'm afraid...... SadSadSad

No I've got 35 years of solid survivalism and prepping behind me, big difference.

8 December 2012, 21:16, (This post was last modified: 8 December 2012, 21:22 by MikeAlpha3041.)
I'm going to gracefully withdraw and stick with my 53 years of life experiences and preparations.....
Oh, and you might want to look at the "No foul mouthed numpties already on the channels" statement you previously made.....
8 December 2012, 21:50, (This post was last modified: 8 December 2012, 22:33 by Shaysdad99.)
(8 December 2012, 21:09)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(8 December 2012, 20:40)MikeAlpha3041 Wrote: For sure, you need to know the inherent characteristics of HF, VHF, UHF etc. bands to make the most of the communications available to you. BUT in a world SHTF situation and you need help in a do or die situation are you going to stick to the "license free" comms? I don't think so..... you will use whatever you have available.

IF, for the sake of argument, I was at home and my PRC-320 (covers both transmit and receive from 2 MHz through 29.9999 MHz) was available I would give a call on any HF international distress frequency that was open, I would not be requesting help on one of the "Ham" or "license free" frequencies. If I needed to talk to one of my group I'd be calling on a prearranged VHF/UHF frequency/channel regardless of if it was "license free" or not on my VHF/UHF gear - end of.....

What I'm saying is, you find a radio, you use it to get help - you are not going to be thinking Oh, hang on a minute, am I "licensed" to use this?

We you need urgent medical/survival help you need help, not when you pass some poxy test!

MA

Oh bollocks, You need to have your radio system up and running NOW and be familiar with it NOW, and be using it regularily NOW so that its not some strange untested unprovern system AFTER TSHTF, and as alreay pointed out the only current viable system that comes close to being suitable require you to be licened NOW

""What I'm saying is, you find a radio, you use it to get help - you are not going to be thinking Oh, hang on a minute, am I "licensed" to use this?""

How many ordinary every day preppers would know in advance how to set up and operate every possible type of radio,?? I put it that 99% of the country could not even set up a CB base station never mind set up tune in or SWR an antenna, search frequencies and bands of an Army rig or large Ham rig.

The prepper community needs a simple reliable, modest range radio system up and running NOW not after TSHTF.
(8 December 2012, 21:07)MikeAlpha3041 Wrote: You really do have a blinkered view NR, typical of our generation I'm afraid...... SadSadSad

No I've got 35 years of solid survivalism and prepping behind me, big difference.

and a canny attitude to go with it
cant edit above came out wrong way , i think your attitude towards comms is totally wrong and that if you need help some day then you will be buggered as you wont be able to call for help, thats my view Blush

8 December 2012, 23:02,
(8 December 2012, 21:09)NorthernRaider Wrote:

MA

The thing is here,...is that you are both right,.. getting the licence now, and using the equipment so that you are familar with it, and using it legal within the bands given is the way to go,... when the shtf you are on top of the subject.

.... after the shtf you are ready and able to use the equipment, but you do not have to stay within the boundries of the licence, you would be free to use whatever frequency you think will get you the results you are after

The alternative is when the shtf, you come across a radio that you cant use to the best advantage,..which could mean the difference between life and death
A major part of survival is invisibility.
8 December 2012, 23:09,
Highlander I just actually realised I already had the exact kit I need for a radio system that meets my groups own needs and its not CB, nor PMR, I was totally frustated with the current research and it was frustrating me no end, but I think I've cracked secure reliable comms that are fairly private, not CB or PMR, 5 watt power, AA battery fed, channels & Frequencies, unlicenced I was just reading the service manual for the unit I already have and thought unsuitable for my needs but i found its got hundreds more channels on it than the EU / UK booklet tells you, I can now acess the Polish and Russian and Private channel network as well as 27 Cept / 27 UK AND 10 meter Amatuer ( which I'll ignore)

8 December 2012, 23:14,
sounds interesting what is it ?
8 December 2012, 23:25, (This post was last modified: 8 December 2012, 23:31 by MikeAlpha3041.)
(8 December 2012, 23:14)Shaysdad99 Wrote: sounds interesting what is it ?

Sounds like a Intek H-520 Plus.....

I just see using communications equipment as part of my all round preparedness which just happens to have been included in my total education in survival and serves as a pastime/hobby as well. As did shooting various weaponry including LARGE cal weapons - no I'm not ex-forces either, I just take my prep education seriously and go the extra mile to get educated and prepared.

MA
That's what I mean about my particular generation, there are those of us that will go the extra mile and do and those that just don't because......... Confused
8 December 2012, 23:49,
(8 December 2012, 23:25)MikeAlpha3041 Wrote: That's what I mean about my particular generation, there are those of us that will go the extra mile and do and those that just don't because......... Confused

Yeah my mere 5000 plus posts and hundreds of rearched articles publish on dozens of forums since 2000 are pretty poor compared with your 34 posts so far, I live in awe of your greatness.

8 December 2012, 23:55,
(8 December 2012, 23:49)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(8 December 2012, 23:25)MikeAlpha3041 Wrote: That's what I mean about my particular generation, there are those of us that will go the extra mile and do and those that just don't because......... Confused

Yeah my mere 5000 plus posts and hundreds of rearched articles publish on dozens of forums since 2000 are pretty poor compared with your 34 posts so far, I live in awe of your greatness.

Priceless NR! ROTFLOL! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin