Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Two Way Radio for Preppers
10 December 2012, 15:22,
RE: Simple Two Way Radio for Preppers
(10 December 2012, 15:12)Highlander Wrote: Well they worked when I was a kid,... but as I said before, simple radios dont have the range...Smile

The only way you can check how well they work is to question ancient philosophy.....how long IS a piece of string?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
10 December 2012, 15:29,
(10 December 2012, 15:22)Scythe13 Wrote:
(10 December 2012, 15:12)Highlander Wrote: Well they worked when I was a kid,... but as I said before, simple radios dont have the range...Smile

The only way you can check how well they work is to question ancient philosophy.....how long IS a piece of string?

mmmmmDodgyConfusedUndecidedmmmmm
A major part of survival is invisibility.
10 December 2012, 15:38,
Just buy a UV-5R, a nagoya 77 twig and a vehicle mounted CB too. Don't bother with handheld CB radios, you need a massive arial to get any distance. A handheld one seems completely pointless to me? Plus with the in car CB you have a powersource attached to the bloody thing!

10 December 2012, 15:45,
(10 December 2012, 15:29)Highlander Wrote:
(10 December 2012, 15:22)Scythe13 Wrote:

mmmmmDodgyConfusedUndecidedmmmmm

You're just jealous that you didn't think of it!!!

(10 December 2012, 15:38)BeardyMan Wrote: Just buy a UV-5R, a nagoya 77 twig and a vehicle mounted CB too. Don't bother with handheld CB radios, you need a massive arial to get any distance. A handheld one seems completely pointless to me? Plus with the in car CB you have a powersource attached to the bloody thing!

OR SOME DAMN STRING AND YOGURT POTS!!!!!!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
10 December 2012, 15:55,
I personally just have the U.S. midland lxt 114 walkie talkies...
eVOX - 1 Sensitivity Level - Easy voice activation - No need for external microphone

22 Channels - Clear, crisp communication with easy button access

Up to 18Mile Range* - Longer range communication in open areas with little or no obstruction

Channel Scan - Automatically checks channels for activity

Auto Squelch - Removes annoying background noise

Keypad Lock - Locks in your selected settings your group

Auto Squelch - Removes annoying background noise

Keypad Lock - Locks in your selected settings

Keystroke Tones - Audible tones with each key press

Water Resistant - Prevents damage from light water exposure

Mic and Headphone Jacks - For speaker mic and headphones

Charges through the headset jack

Battery Life Extender - Provides longer battery life

Runs on 3 “AAA” batteries (not included)

Yes I'm well aware they're not for u.k. use but whos going to come looking post shtf and also they suit my situation where I wont be that far away from others in my group, plus the tactical head sets you can buy for them sold me as well. I have no intention post shtf contacting any other preppers so long range coms isnt a consideration and if I need them for long range I can utilise extra transmitters as a way ststion if necessary, plus with a few solar battery chargers and rechargeable batterys I'm set.
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
10 December 2012, 15:56,
(10 December 2012, 15:38)BeardyMan Wrote: ........Plus with the in car CB you have a powersource attached to the bloody thing!

OR SOME DAMN STRING AND YOGURT POTS!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Glad to see you have you alternative comms in place cos you CB/Car combo are susceptible to the dreaded CME/EMP Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.
10 December 2012, 15:57,
Hello S13 .....over............hello S13....over.........hello S13 comon back............F..king hell !!!.......S13 got your ears on son ? comon back.......... spect s13 is using that 10p mussy pea tin from aldi,s again.............or the string just snapped again
10 December 2012, 15:59,
(10 December 2012, 15:55)Prepper1 Wrote: .......batteries (not included)

Better rectify this and quickly Blush........

MA

If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.
10 December 2012, 16:00,
AND can I just say I personally recommend them for low cost but quality product it actually does what it says it does.
AND yes I bought batteries....TongueTongueTongue
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
10 December 2012, 16:08,
Prepper comms set up on the cheap (LS, please correct me if I'm wrong, but as a basic starter set up this will suffice?)

Boafeng UV-5R:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LATEST-VERSION...3cccfd0c67

Nagoya 77 twig:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAGOYA-NL-77B-...4ab82933b7

TTi 550 CB:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CB-Starter-Kit...4ab465b824

So for just under £120 you can have the best of both worlds. No point pissing around with hand held whatevers that need 7 feet of arial stuck on the top to work. Buy this, and you're sorted.