Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snow Chains
3 November 2011, 14:15,
RE: Snow Chains
I agree that having good grip (in this case by snow tires) on the drive wheels is more important than on the other wheels. However I can assure it it's quite disconcerting when (with a front wheel drive car) you turn into a junction and the front of the car turns but the back keeps going straight.
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
3 November 2011, 14:44,
that's down to the driving and the speed
to win the war, you must be willing to die
11 January 2012, 13:41,
Remember snow chains are'nt just for christmas i use mine for mud drive.
UKS
11 January 2012, 16:26,
When driving on ice, you are better driving 1 gear higher than you would normally use. This is to stop wheel spin and it makes breaking more effective.

When you want to slow down, DON'T slam on the break peddle. You will skid. If you're using 1 gear higher than you need to use, you simply hold back on the revs, or maybe go down a gear and have zero revs. Using that technique your gears and the turning of your tyres causes the car to slow down. It also maintains control of the car through the mechanics itself. If you were to use the break peddle, you can very easily lock up the wheels and slide.

That's my way to driving in the snow. Saves money on snow chains.
11 January 2012, 16:40,
I tend to not use my brakes at all when driving in snow and ice, just use engine braking til down to about 2MPH

11 January 2012, 16:46,
I would agree but with the changing down part. Don't change down unless you are doing it as part of a manouver. They jerk may cause a sid. Just take your foot off the pedal and don't touch the brakes at all.

Just my method. I bet we all have our own.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
11 January 2012, 16:57,
(11 January 2012, 16:46)Skean Dhude Wrote: Don't change down unless you are doing it as part of a manouver. They jerk may cause a sid.

Aye, I found this out the hard way crawling down a hill in High Wycombe in my Defender. All was well until I went from 2nd to 1st, next thing I'm sliding down the hill, slowly heading towards a lamppost. Managed to get it against the kerb and used that against the sidewall of the tyre to stop me.

Lucky I did, as two stupid kids were laying in the road making shapes by waving their arms around - I open the window and shouted "Get your fucking kids out the way - they're about to get run over" to a person I presumed was their father. He replied "They're not mine - go ahead"
11 January 2012, 17:48,
anyone know anything about "sand mats" for getting your vehicle out of soft ground i.e. mud, i saw Ray Mears use something like this in the desert, but i'm thinking about mud and soft snow.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 January 2012, 17:52,
(11 January 2012, 17:48)bigpaul Wrote: anyone know anything about "sand mats" for getting your vehicle out of soft ground i.e. mud, i saw Ray Mears use something like this in the desert, but i'm thinking about mud and soft snow.

Yup they work equally in mud as sand, watch the Dakar tonight on eurosport, you can buy a usable set of plastic snow mats from the Betterware catalogue if you get one, and equally chunks of stiff old carpet also work

11 January 2012, 18:14,
(11 January 2012, 17:52)NorthernRaider Wrote:
(11 January 2012, 17:48)bigpaul Wrote: anyone know anything about "sand mats" for getting your vehicle out of soft ground i.e. mud, i saw Ray Mears use something like this in the desert, but i'm thinking about mud and soft snow.

Yup they work equally in mud as sand, watch the Dakar tonight on eurosport, you can buy a usable set of plastic snow mats from the Betterware catalogue if you get one, and equally chunks of stiff old carpet also work

ok i can get lots of old carpets no problem.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.