Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wonder how many "off roaders" are preppers ?
24 December 2012, 20:14, (This post was last modified: 24 December 2012, 20:15 by Geordie_Rob.)
RE: wonder how many "off roaders" are preppers ?
(24 December 2012, 18:04)Metroyeti Wrote: Seen one on doomsday friday with a shovel on the side and 12jerry cans on the roof, unless it was geordierob, it might have been another prepper

I wish I could afford a 4x4. Instead I've got family hatchback car Sad

However I have got a shovel & small jerry can though, aswell as "other" items Smile
24 December 2012, 20:18,
Wish I could afford lessons Sad
24 December 2012, 20:25,
Cost me £15 an hour 9 years ago. Dread to think what it is now.
25 December 2012, 19:03,
(24 December 2012, 20:14)Geordie_Rob Wrote:
(24 December 2012, 18:04)Metroyeti Wrote: Seen one on doomsday friday with a shovel on the side and 12jerry cans on the roof, unless it was geordierob, it might have been another prepper

I wish I could afford a 4x4. Instead I've got family hatchback car Sad

However I have got a shovel & small jerry can though, aswell as "other" items Smile

Yeah, I'd love a tricked out lwt Landrover, but, unless you're planning to use a lot of greenlaning to your bol,then an ordinary car, imho, will probably be adequate the vast majority of the time. Most car drivers can not use the vehicle to it's true capabilities due to lack of training and the inability to think more than two feet beyond the bonnet. For ten years I lived in a village on top of a hill and where I worked was five miles away at the bottom of the hill and on the few occasions when it was too bad for me to use my scooter I would use the wife's bog standard fiesta. There was one main road I could use or some single track country lanes. More often than not I'd use the lanes 'cos I knew the main road would be struggling with cars, trucks and buses sliding all over the place because the drivers would be trying to drive in exactly the same manner as if they were on a dry summers road. I never missed a days work or failed to get home, even in a foot of snow. Why? Because I remember my driver light training from the army and apply the principles I was taught AND I have read up on driving in adverse conditions since.
they laugh at us because we're different, we laugh at them because they're all the same
26 December 2012, 10:53,
(24 December 2012, 18:56)Prepper1 Wrote: my plans don't include contact with other preppers post shtf

But then again I was/am an only child.

heck, thats exactly what i say too!!TongueBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 December 2012, 10:55, (This post was last modified: 28 December 2012, 10:55 by BeardyMan.)
I had my Series 3 arrive the other day Big Grin

Going to store the rag top and poles and get a pickup cab on it. Hopefully some parabolics if the hangers are ok. No point snorkling it as it's a 2.25 petrol. It'll have some jerry can holders and a nudge bar installed at some point too. Just need to free those brakes!

17mpg though, so it's only ever going to be a fun car / BOV.
28 December 2012, 11:11,
(25 December 2012, 19:03)Ranger Wrote: Most car drivers can not use the vehicle to it's true capabilities due to lack of training and the inability to think more than two feet beyond the bonnet. There was one main road I could use or some single track country lanes. More often than not I'd use the lanes 'cos I knew the main road would be struggling with cars, trucks and buses sliding all over the place because the drivers would be trying to drive in exactly the same manner as if they were on a dry summers road.

yep, same can be said for around here, we are 30 miles from the END of the motorway, i use A roads if i want to get somewhere fast but normally we are not in that much of a hurry and so use the "backcountry"(unclassified) lanes. got to agree with what you say about "most" drivers, most are bloody useless, either with their heaters turned up full, radio's ditto or on their mobile phones..or ALL three! the general standard of driving is abysmal, and like you say they drive in all weathers like its a hot summers day, thats probably why there are so many accidents, and in a "bug out" situation they'll still be driving erratically and dangerously.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 December 2012, 18:50,
(28 December 2012, 11:11)bigpaul Wrote:
(25 December 2012, 19:03)Ranger Wrote: Most car drivers can not use the vehicle to it's true capabilities due to lack of training and the inability to think more than two feet beyond the bonnet. There was one main road I could use or some single track country lanes. More often than not I'd use the lanes 'cos I knew the main road would be struggling with cars, trucks and buses sliding all over the place because the drivers would be trying to drive in exactly the same manner as if they were on a dry summers road.

yep, same can be said for around here, we are 30 miles from the END of the motorway, i use A roads if i want to get somewhere fast but normally we are not in that much of a hurry and so use the "backcountry"(unclassified) lanes. got to agree with what you say about "most" drivers, most are bloody useless, either with their heaters turned up full, radio's ditto or on their mobile phones..or ALL three! the general standard of driving is abysmal, and like you say they drive in all weathers like its a hot summers day, thats probably why there are so many accidents, and in a "bug out" situation they'll still be driving erratically and dangerously.

I drive a "normal" car at the moment, couldn't afford to pay for the fuel a 4x4 uses though I'd love to get one again if I can.

I've had landrovers and a jap 4x4 in the past and taken them over some pretty tough terrain but the one thing to bear in mind is a piece of advise given to me by an old farmer - "4 wheel drive just means getting stuck in more inaccessible places". Always remember that if you get stuck, how are you going to get yourself out?

I once got my landy bogged down so badly that the bumpers were resting on the ground! That took me the best part of four hours and about a ton of stone gathered from the remains of a stone wall before I was able to get myself out, no chance of getting anyone else out there to help as I was in the middle of nowhere. Entirely my own fault for not taking enough care to check the ground before driving - didn't make that mistake again!

On the flip side, if you drive appropriately and always carry shovel, rope, jack etc it's pretty amazing where you can take a 2 wheel drive vehicle. I've managed to go places where 4x4 drivers have failed, simply by learning how to get the most from my car/van, reading the terrain and knowing when to go slow and when to be aggressive.
29 December 2012, 09:37,
(28 December 2012, 10:55)BeardyMan Wrote: I had my Series 3 arrive the other day Big Grin

Going to store the rag top and poles and get a pickup cab on it. Hopefully some parabolics if the hangers are ok. No point snorkling it as it's a 2.25 petrol. It'll have some jerry can holders and a nudge bar installed at some point too. Just need to free those brakes!

17mpg though, so it's only ever going to be a fun car / BOV.

hey BM, if it makes you feel any better.....mine only does 13 to 15 mpg if im lucky mate !Smile