Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
most likely shtf scenarios
4 January 2013, 19:08, (This post was last modified: 4 January 2013, 19:09 by Metroyeti.)
RE: most likely shtf scenarios
Less than onch inch fell a few weeks ago, the northeast ground to a halt. My lecturer said "well done" as I walked into the class. Half the class didnt show up, I politly pointed out it had only started to snow ten minutes before and if that stopped them they must be pathetic.

So if the uk had a proper snowfall or snow for a few weeks it would be interedting to see how we cope/dont
4 January 2013, 19:17,
(4 January 2013, 19:08)Metroyeti Wrote: Less than onch inch fell a few weeks ago, the northeast ground to a halt. My lecturer said "well done" as I walked into the class. Half the class didnt show up, I politly pointed out it had only started to snow ten minutes before and if that stopped them they must be pathetic.

So if the uk had a proper snowfall or snow for a few weeks it would be interedting to see how we cope/dont

we had heavy snow back in 1969/70 and the buses stopped running, i was working as a telephone operator for the then Post Office telephone exchange, rang my supervisor and was told if i could get in they would pay me for the whole shift no matter how long it took me to get in as they were short handed, so i just walked in.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 January 2013, 19:35,
I grew up in Canada where -24 to -30 in the winter is fairly usual. Waist high snow... always normal.
I remember one year we had a blizzard... I have a picture somewhere of our car... all you can see is the roof.
What did it amount to??? One day off school!!!!
5 January 2013, 09:56,
Think back 2 years ago, I remember the fun I had when we had "White Britain" on the news and all those white satellite pictures on the TV (I was living in Warrington and parents had a TV....I don't miss TV haha). Most of the UK stopped working, loads of old people were dying, and it lasted a couple of weeks. Make the situation worse, another foot or 2 of snow. It wouldn't be much different, other than it would have lasted longer. People won't all be freezing.

Mum was telling me about when she was a child, people were told to get in their sleeping bags, and then get into bed, just to stay warm.

The government will start food centres, military personnel will be going house to house with food parcels, and stuff like that. Yes it's crazy to imagine the government organising something like that, but it is doable.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
5 January 2013, 10:04,
They couldnt pull there thumbs out and didnt grit till almost a week after the snow fell in 2010, think we would have a long wait for food
5 January 2013, 10:23,
(5 January 2013, 10:04)Metroyeti Wrote: They couldnt pull there thumbs out and didnt grit till almost a week after the snow fell in 2010, think we would have a long wait for food
agreed, dont wait for TPTB to feed you, you'll have a very long wait, thats one of the reasons i'm a prepper.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 January 2013, 10:28,
(5 January 2013, 10:04)Metroyeti Wrote: They couldnt pull there thumbs out and didnt grit till almost a week after the snow fell in 2010, think we would have a long wait for food

Because it was getting down to -16C at night and grit stops working -8C - -10C. No point wasting all of the grit in a very cold period when it could be used at a time when it would actually work.

We should stop gritting in this country, rather correct tyres and snow chains should be used. The reason we do not use chains is because it is illegal to use them on clear roads. Stop gritting and then all roads covered and chain use becomes easier.
5 January 2013, 10:48,
(5 January 2013, 10:28)BDG Wrote: We should stop gritting in this country, rather correct tyres and snow chains should be used. The reason we do not use chains is because it is illegal to use them on clear roads. Stop gritting and then all roads covered and chain use becomes easier.

you know that wont happen, it would mean the sheeple actually having to make a decision for themselves-thats if they even thought to buy snow chains!Big Grin
5 January 2013, 13:03,
(5 January 2013, 10:48)bigpaul Wrote: you know that wont happen, it would mean the sheeple actually having to make a decision for themselves-thats if they even thought to buy snow chains!Big Grin

Oh, I could see it happening when the Govt does not have the money for it. I expect it will start from a quiet, little publicised trial when certain parts of the country do not grit and TPTB say 'Oh, did you not know chap, this is the snow chain trial zone?'
5 January 2013, 14:58,
It seems that we are the only country that has these problems,.. even a country like Cyprus manages better than we do,... up in the Troodos mountains they issue the military with 6ft poles, when they park up at night, they have to secure the poles to their drivers mirrors, so that if it snows during the night and covers the cars, the snow blowers know where the car is so that they dont bulldose it.

7 ft over night often happened, and they never take all the snow away, they do what BDG said, they always left an inch or so to go hard,... and everyone used chains or studs,... everyone seemed able to get where they we going to
A major part of survival is invisibility.